Topics

I take it there have been no improvements to the flawed espeak ng in 2017.4?

Sharni-Lee Ward

I've just caught up on all my emails. If I understood an earlier thread
correctly, despite our complaints when 2017.4 came out, the devs did not
roll back the version of espeak packaged with NVDA to the version in
2017.3, which means that I will not be updating NVDA, despite the
wonderful-sounding new features.

Espeak, and subsequently Espeak NG, has been my default synth since I
started using NVDA. There was an issue in 2014 but I was able to get
used to that, and then it got fixed, so I was contented. The problems I
found in the espeak packaged with 2017.4 were more than I could stand,
as someone who primarily uses NVDA to read fanfiction and my own
stories. However, Espeak is among the only synths compatible with NVDA's
inflection slider, which I have maxed out for optimal performance. I'm
not about to sacrifice broad inflection for the drones of MS voices, and
I'm currently using a Win 7 computer, but even if I was on a Win 10 one,
the 1Core voices don't do it for me either. They're pleasant, but also
flat. No inflection. No way to change the inflection. I can't stand
human-sounding voices because they're less flexible than synthetic ones
in this regard. Also, nearly all non Espeak voices are slow as well as
flat, partially due to the length of pauses between clauses of a
sentence, and this is about as unbearable as the flatness. And there is
one more thing that really clinches my unwillingness to change synths. I
cannot get anything else to cooperate with my speech dictionary. As I
said, I read a lot of fanfiction, and I have put lots of characters'
names and the names of Pokémon into my dictionary so that they are
pronounced properly. The other synths simply do not like these names, no
matter what I try to do with them, and some of them even pronounced my
name wrong, so I gave up on them.

This is why I want whoever's developing Espeak to roll back their
changes to a previous version (surely they have older versions backed up
somewhere. I would if I was developing something like this), and for
NVDA to likewise roll back the version packaged with it until the devs
of the synth work out how to alter one language without screwing up
twenty others in the process. I know I can only go so far before I am
forced to update to the latest version of NVDA or be left to languish as
more and more things become incompatible with the last tolerable version
I have.

Please, I am begging you, do something about this.

Hi,
May I kindly request that you do something too: please try with 2018.1.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi,

I'm sorry but there's no such thing as a perfect program or synth. Why don't you give NVDA 2018.1 a try. It still has the inflection. You can try changing some word pronunciations but don't expect everything to be perfect. That's not reality. I won't say anything more.

[...]

Gene

Also, what's wrong with Eloquence?  Have you tried it  And as I recall, you can adjust inflection with it.  Don't use the Brittish English voice.  It's obviously programmed by Americans amateurishly trying to imitate a Brittish accent.  Use the default American English.  It pronounces a great many more words correctly compared with e-speak.  And I use it very well with the NVDA speech dictionary.  Are you familiar with the SAPI 5 demo you can try of Eloquence?  Eloquence and Via Voice, the same synthesizer from a sound and performance standpoint, are the most accurate in terms of proper pronounciation of words in my experience.

[...]

I need to correct one statement.  You can't, as it appears, change inflection in Eloquence with NVDA.  I don't know what you consider flat.  But if you give Eloquence a chance, you may find that the amount of inflection it uses is not bothersome to you.  You may want an exaggerated amount of inflection.  I don't know how you have E-Speak set.  But you may find that, if you give Eloquence a chance and get used to it, you may find it generally superior over time.

[...]

Okay, I installed NVDA 2018.1, after creating a portable copy in case it became too much to bear.

I don't like Eloquence because it isn't as crisp as Espeak. I have compared it to A.M radio in the past, and Espeak to FM/CD Quality sound. Also, it has only eight variants as opposed to Espeak's forty-something (I just realised my lovingly customised alternate female variants have somehow been broken by more recent changes which makes me sad, but I usually stick with Linda anyway).

It's still doing the things that annoyed me in December, but I'm willing to try and see if I get used to them.

I don't expect a program to be perfect. I don't expect a synth to be perfect. I would like to hope that people don't break something that was perfectly all right in a previous version, however.

And as for inflection, I have it set to 100% (GAH, it does the thing with percent....), which makes Eloquence sound overly chipper, another reason I don't enjoy that synth as much. By flat, I mean the voice does not use perceptible inflection in the cases of question marks, commas and exclamation points. This should not be something a blind user has to put up with when it comes to synthesised voice. How is one supposed to know if the statement is yelled or spoken calmly if the voice doesn't give it away? How emotionally invested can they be in a story if there is no noticeable inflection for something as basic as exclamations and question marks?

On 25/03/2018 4:54 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Hareth

You can try to copy the "synthDrivers" folder from your preferred NVDA
version installation directory,
and replace it with the current NVDA release.
I'd assume it would work for you.

On 3/25/18, Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]

The last time I tried something like that I broke Espeak so thoroughly that NVDA couldn't boot up and I had to uninstall and reinstall from a portable copy. And that was to try and fix a much more minor issue than this current one.

Words and phrases that I have found which are slurred include, but are not limited to: our, hour, they're, percent (the only one I've been able to fix so far), and the phrases "for the" and "for a". I'll probably be reminded of more in the future. Did others on the list just learn to put up with this or what?

On 3/25/18, Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@...> wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well some improvements seem to be there, but I am still using the Speech player in Espeak, but selected for the old voices. At least this is better than the current odd situation where its a mixed bag..
I'm sure others have something to say.I don't know if the sapi version of Espeak is any different, not tried it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

Try what though? Espeak NG is still worse than the old Espeak in UK English, at least to my mind it is.
[...]

I dare not say what is wrong with this synth, I'll have the Eloqence Mafia gunning for me! :-)

[...]

Well I'm with you. I did ask at the time who was in charge of UK and US English now, as it does seem that things are slipping.

My guess as to why nvaccess use it is that some future or current features work better with it than the old code we had before NG and maybe other languages, particularly the Indian ones may be more reliable in NG, as India seems to me to be the biggest growth area for NVDA.
[...]

However Speech player in Espeak works out of the box of course.
[...]

Does it still say "hoisted" and "Hoenn" weirdly? Because if it does I don't like it. I know I'm sounding nitpicky but seriously, Espeak was fine before some idiot had to go and break it, and I don't know why Speechplayer in Espeak says "hoist" so weirdly but I cannot bear it.

On 25/03/2018 7:28 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
However Speech player in Espeak works out of the box of course.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sharni-Lee Ward" <sharni-lee.ward@...>

[...]

https://groups.io/g/espeak-ng

Mind you I find their list very much a programmers list, and do not have the language to use to tell people some of the more subtle issues that need fixing.
[...]

I think I remember hearing the Edward voice in speech player and it did sound strange.

[...]

Lino Morales

This is what talking books are for. Regardless of what synth I use. You realize bla hearing a book ready by a speech synth would be? Boring. It would put me to sleep.

Lino Morales

[...]

Rob Hudson

Lino Morales <linomorales001@gmail.com> wrote:
This is what talking books are for. Regardless of what synth I use. You realize bla hearing a book ready by a speech synth would be? Boring. It would put me to sleep.

But not all books are made into audio books. In fact, the vast majority are not. And if you're into online fiction, synth reading is the only game in town.

Lino Morales

Well not into that crap anyway. To each his own. Buy a BRL display Charneey.

Lino Morales