screen reader using UEFI?

I've been trying to look this up but threads and email lists and otherwise say that it cannot be done. With no sighted help, I would like to be able to change my function key behavior on my laptop. When I look in the system information, it just says, for PC Model, HP notebook. Any suggestions on ways I can do this with a screen reader?

Sarah k Alawami

Would sharp keys do you any good? You can remap any key on the keyboard to do what ever ou want it to do. I really love that little app.

On Mar 28, 2018, at 8:52 AM, Robert Kingett <kingettr@...> wrote:

I've been trying to look this up but threads and email lists and otherwise say that it cannot be done. With no sighted help, I would like to be able to change my function key behavior on my laptop. When I look in the system information, it just says, for PC Model, HP notebook. Any suggestions on ways I can do this with a screen reader?

Try Mobility Center.

On 3/28/2018 11:52 AM, Robert Kingett wrote:

I've been trying to look this up but threads and email lists and otherwise say that it cannot be done. With no sighted help, I would like to be able to change my function key behavior on my laptop. When I look in the system information, it just says, for PC Model, HP notebook. Any suggestions on ways I can do this with a screen reader?

Antony Stone

I don't really understand what this has to do with UEFI (which I believe is a
replacement for BIOS in older computers).

Antony.

--
Someone has stolen all the toilets from New Scotland Yard. Police say they
have absolutely nothing to go on.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Brandon Cross <bcross3286@...>

what you seek to do cannot be done with a screen reader since accessing the EFi settings is outside the OS.

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 2:02 PM, Antony Stone <antony.stone@...> wrote:
I don't really understand what this has to do with UEFI (which I believe is a
replacement for BIOS in older computers).

Antony.

On Wednesday 28 March 2018 at 17:52:56, Robert Kingett wrote:

> I've been trying to look this up but threads and email lists and
> otherwise say that it cannot be done. With no sighted help, I would like
> to be able to change my function key behavior on my laptop. When I look
> in the system information, it just says, for PC Model, HP notebook. Any
> suggestions on ways I can do this with a screen reader?

--
Someone has stolen all the toilets from New Scotland Yard.  Police say they
have absolutely nothing to go on.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Brian's Mail list account

I think what he is sayying is what we have all said. The bios is often defaulted to use the function keys as media keys, not function keys. Changing this at bios level is impossible for the blind as obviously, no code is running. however it does transpire that a year or so back one particular laptop had a special bit of software that saved the contents of the cmos ie the bios data, and allowed one to alter things then reboot at which time the data was loaded and the configuration changed on the rebooted machine. Sadly from what I've been able to find out, this is certainly not universal, and often not done, possibly due to security concerns.

Your only option if it is not function key changeable by some key combination, is to get a sighted person to do it.
I have heard of I phone users using the short text mode of the seeing Ai App to do this, but it seems this is quite a laborious process!
Good luck drag some unsuspecting sighty in and let them tell you what is going on!

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I don't really understand what this has to do with UEFI (which I believe is a
replacement for BIOS in older computers).

Antony.

On Wednesday 28 March 2018 at 17:52:56, Robert Kingett wrote:

I've been trying to look this up but threads and email lists and
otherwise say that it cannot be done. With no sighted help, I would like
to be able to change my function key behavior on my laptop. When I look
in the system information, it just says, for PC Model, HP notebook. Any
suggestions on ways I can do this with a screen reader?
--
Someone has stolen all the toilets from New Scotland Yard. Police say they
have absolutely nothing to go on.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Gene

I doubt that Sharp Keys lets you remap the fn key.  I doubt that utility works on such a low level of the computer, below the operating system.

Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 11:55 AM

Would sharp keys do you any good? You can remap any key on the keyboard to do what ever ou want it to do. I really love that little app.

On Mar 28, 2018, at 8:52 AM, Robert Kingett <kingettr@...> wrote:

I've been trying to look this up but threads and email lists and otherwise say that it cannot be done. With no sighted help, I would like to be able to change my function key behavior on my laptop. When I look in the system information, it just says, for PC Model, HP notebook. Any suggestions on ways I can do this with a screen reader?

Sarah k Alawami

I thought I did it once, but I don't have need of the tool as of now I'll have to have  another play wiht it. It is worth a try, it is  free.

Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 11:55 AM

Would sharp keys do you any good? You can remap any key on the keyboard to do what ever ou want it to do. I really love that little app.

On Mar 28, 2018, at 8:52 AM, Robert Kingett <kingettr@...> wrote:

I've been trying to look this up but threads and email lists and otherwise say that it cannot be done. With no sighted help, I would like to be able to change my function key behavior on my laptop. When I look in the system information, it just says, for PC Model, HP notebook. Any suggestions on ways I can do this with a screen reader?

Jason White

Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
I think what he is sayying is what we have all said. The bios is often
defaulted to use the function keys as media keys, not function keys.
Changing this at bios level is impossible for the blind as obviously, no
code is running.
I was able to change this setting on my Lenovo P51 laptop using a
Windows-based settings utility pre-installed by Lenovo. It was simply a matter
of finding and selecting the right radio button.

Brandon Cross <bcross3286@...>

Some manufacturers do include utilities like that, others do not. If not, it most likely will be in the EFI / bios.  I doubt key sharp would be able to do this as well.

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 8:31 PM, Jason White via Groups.Io <jason@...> wrote:
Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
> I think what he is sayying is what we have all said. The bios is often
> defaulted to use the function keys as media keys, not function keys.
> Changing this at bios level is impossible for the blind as obviously, no
> code is running.

I was able to change this setting on my Lenovo P51 laptop using a
Windows-based settings utility pre-installed by Lenovo. It was simply a matter
of finding and selecting the right radio button.

Brian's Mail list account

Yes, but that worked as described in my other post on this subject and some may consider this a security issue.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I think what he is sayying is what we have all said. The bios is often
defaulted to use the function keys as media keys, not function keys.
Changing this at bios level is impossible for the blind as obviously, no
code is running.
I was able to change this setting on my Lenovo P51 laptop using a
Windows-based settings utility pre-installed by Lenovo. It was simply a matter
of finding and selecting the right radio button.

Hey all. I finally had to get sighted help to make my F keys do F1 through 10 functions by default. I am kind of amazed Windows has not worked around a solution if a manufacturer does this by default. Oh well, I can hit F10 without hitting 2 keys!

-- Robert Kingett, journalist. View my website below.

view my website here

Ervin, Glenn

Also, in the short term, one can use the FN key with the function keys, and this makes them work as function keys.
Or one can use an external keyboard.
Neither are acceptable solutions, but at least a work-around.
Glenn