From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rich De Steno
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2018 3:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Chrome Browser

Is the Chrome browser accessible with NVDA? Is it worth trying?

--
Rich De Steno

Andy

Yes, it works well, and Chrome is so much faster than other browsers. It has become my go to browser.

Andy

Is the Chrome browser accessible with NVDA? Is it worth trying?

--
Rich De Steno

Perry Simm

Hello,
I find that it is, although it tends to fluctuate as new versions are released. It is very snappy and definitely worth a try.
Cheers Perry

​Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.​

Is the Chrome browser accessible with NVDA?  Is it worth trying?

Rich De Steno

John Isige

Has anybody solved this issue with chrome? I have every predictive thing turned off, but when I start typing in the address bar, I hear stuff like, suppose I'm typing in mandolin cafe. I type an m, I hear "m andolessons dot com", I type an 'a' and then maybe it thinks I mean something else so I hear "mathmaze dot com selected instead", and so on. It's really pretty annoying, particularly since I don't want it to do that. Just let me type a URL and be done with it. Quit trying to figure out where I might want to go, like I told you to.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich De Steno" <ironrock@verizon.net>

Is the Chrome browser accessible with NVDA? Is it worth trying?

Gene

How fast are you typing?  If you either type quickly or turn off speech, you won't hear anything.  You likely know this but do you know that anytime you want to interrupt speech, you can just keep typing anywhere?  You will probably get a solution but I'm discussing this as a general principle.  I never bother with such settings because I type fast enough that I don't hear such information but if I ever start to hear it, maybe because I'm typing more slowly, I just keep typing.

On 3/29/2018 17:42, Andy wrote:
> Yes, it works well, and Chrome is so much faster than other browsers.
> It has become my go to browser.
>
> Andy
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich De Steno" <ironrock@...>

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I cannot type fast enough to stop this kind of thing. its intensely irritating.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

How fast are you typing? If you either type quickly or turn off speech, you won't hear anything. You likely know this but do you know that anytime you want to interrupt speech, you can just keep typing anywhere? You will probably get a solution but I'm discussing this as a general principle. I never bother with such settings because I type fast enough that I don't hear such information but if I ever start to hear it, maybe because I'm typing more slowly, I just keep typing.

Is the Chrome browser accessible with NVDA? Is it worth trying?

Gene

Turning off speech with NVDA key s is a very easy one stroke command.  turning it on again is a two stroke command or, if you use the add on, a one stroke command.  My point isn't that there is no way to turn suggestions off, I assume there is.  My point is that unless or until the way this is done is found in whatever program is being used, it is very easy to stop such speech.

Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 2:23 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

On 3/29/2018 17:42, Andy wrote:
> Yes, it works well, and Chrome is so much faster than other browsers.
> It has become my go to browser.
>
> Andy
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich De Steno" <ironrock@...>

Perhaps I should have said turning off speech is a two stroke command.  Pressing NVDA key and then s might be considered two strokes and turning speech on without the add on might be a three stroke command.  I'm not sure just what counts as a stroke.  Whatever the case, the commands are very short and easy to execute.

On 3/29/2018 17:42, Andy wrote:
> Yes, it works well, and Chrome is so much faster than other browsers.
> It has become my go to browser.
>
> Andy
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich De Steno" <ironrock@...>

Dejan Ristic

Oh, yes! Try it and see. I've been using it for a long, long time as my default browser.

On 30/03/2018 00:37, Rich De Steno wrote:
Is the Chrome browser accessible with NVDA?  Is it worth trying?

Chris Mullins

Hi
This is what I found on a forum site:

1. Go to the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar
2. Activate Settings
3. Activate Show advanced settings
4. In the Privacy section, deselect the "Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar" checkbox

Keep in mind that the address bar shows matches from your browsing history, in addition to predictions. If you don't want to see matches from your browsing history, you must clear that as well.
Beyond that there is nothing more you can do. It is either all or nothing. You cannot modify the behavior of how you dismiss suggestions. Suggestions and autocomplete are the same service.

In addition, someone mentioned that it was apain to have to clear browsing history all the time to stop the auto-complete behaviour and suggested using incognito mode which doesn't preserve browsing history.

Cheers
Chris

Is the Chrome browser accessible with NVDA? Is it worth trying?

Gene

If Chrome uses browsing history to determine visited links, then if you clear it, if  you use visited links in navigation, they will no longer be available.  Also, if you constantly clear browsing history, you'd better hope you never want to return to a site you didn't book mark and don't have the address for.  You may well be able to find the site with a google search or in some other way, but browsing history is an important feature.

Sometimes, stopping a problem is worse than having the problem.

On 3/29/2018 17:42, Andy wrote:
> Yes, it works well, and Chrome is so much faster than other browsers.
> It has become my go to browser.
>
> Andy
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich De Steno" <ironrock@...>

Huh, thanks! I might have to try that. I don't think I've ever used
browser history in my entire life. I have all of the other stuff turned
off so I'll bet it's just pulling from the history, which I haven't
cleared, I used to have it automatically clear in Firefox when you
closed it but I don't know if the new version still has that feature or
not. I did clear it in Chrome at some point but if it's holding on to
stuff since, that's probably what's happening. I'm also fine with it
being all or nothing, since the nothing part of it is exactly what I'm
after.

On 3/30/2018 8:23, Gene wrote:
If Chrome uses browsing history to determine visited links, then if
you clear it, if  you use visited links in navigation, they will no
longer be available.  Also, if you constantly clear browsing history,
you'd better hope you never want to return to a site you didn't book
mark and don't have the address for.  You may well be able to find the
site with a google search or in some other way, but browsing history
is an important feature.
Sometimes, stopping a problem is worse than having the problem.

I cannot type fast enough to stop this kind of thing. its intensely
irritating.

Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>, putting
'Brian Gaff'

On 3/29/2018 17:42, Andy wrote:
Yes, it works well, and Chrome is so much faster than other browsers.
It has become my go to browser.

Andy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich De Steno"
<ironrock@verizon.net <mailto:ironrock@verizon.net>>
Is the Chrome browser accessible with NVDA? Is it worth trying?