NVDA Chinese writing

Darrel Hughes

Helo everybody

I am quite new to NVDA and I speak English and do not understand Chinese writing at all. For some reason my NVDA has only Chinese writing. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks
Darrel

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Where abouts is the writing? is it in the nvda menus? so all the menus are in another language? or do you mean when you are reading say a email and now and again you hear it speaking like in another language??

Gene nz

On 3/30/2018 1:15 PM, Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io wrote:
Helo everybody

I am quite new to NVDA and I speak English and do not understand Chinese writing at all. For some reason my NVDA has only Chinese writing. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks
Darrel

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I'm not really sure what you mean here.
Aware you saying that its set to chinese, and trying to read English as if it were Chinese?
The language setting must have been tweaked for this. Look in the preferences and see what its actually set to. Normally its system default, which is usually what it says it is, the language windows uses.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of "Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io" <darrel71@...>
Date: Friday, March 30, 2018 at 2:02 AM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Helo everybody

I am quite new to NVDA and I speak English and do not understand Chinese writing at all. For some reason my NVDA has only Chinese writing. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks
Darrel

Darrel Hughes

NVDA reads all English in English and reads all Chinese in Chinese. The Chinese writing appears only in the NVDA which prevents me from understanding the words for me to change the settings

I am quite new to NVDA and I speak English and do not understand Chinese
writing at all. For some reason my NVDA has only Chinese writing. Does
anyone have a solution?

Thanks
Darrel

Darrel Hughes

Only in the NVDA menus

Where abouts is the writing? is it in the nvda menus? so all the menus are in another language? or do you mean when you are reading say a email and now and again you hear it speaking like in another language??

Gene nz

On 3/30/2018 1:15 PM, Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io wrote:

Helo everybody

I am quite new to NVDA and I speak English and do not understand Chinese writing at all. For some reason my NVDA has only Chinese writing. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks
Darrel

When reporting problems, making statements of fact based on guesses isn't a good idea.  You could explain why you say you think it's Chinese but unless you know that no other supported languages use alphabets that look anything like the Chinese alphabet, at least to those who don't know any of these alphabets, that is a statement based on a guess.

I'm not going into this because it matters in this specific case, the problem would be solved in the same way, whatever the language.  But when presenting any problem, don't present a guess as a statement of fact.  It may cause those trying to solve the problem to think it is something different than it is.

Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:16 AM

--
I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.

 - Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC
me.

Darrel Hughes

Gene I only want to change it back to English and if you know how that would be helpful .  If you don't it's quite alright to say you don't know how.

Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:16 AM

--
I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.

 - Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC
me.

Tyler Spivey

Gene is just complicating the situation needlessly.
Please try this:

1. Press NVDA+ctrl+g. This means hold down the NVDA key (insert),
control and press g.
2. When that dialog comes up, press e.
3. Press enter twice.

If that doesn't work, and you don't mind deleting your NVDA
configuration and starting again, do this:
1. Press windows+r for the run dialog.
2. Type %appdata% and press enter. This is percent, appdata, percent.
3. Find NVDA in that folder, open that, then in there find nvda.ini.
Delete it.
It's best to do all this with NVDA not running, since save configuration
on exit will overwrite it.

On 3/30/2018 6:52 AM, Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Gene

I'm not sure how to solve it.  But the reason I brought up the issue is to raise the question of whether there is an underlying problem.  I don't know how to determine the language the computer is set to.  Since the NVDA default is to use the default language of the computer, that may mean that the computer is set to use the wrong language.  others will, I expect, be able to discuss that     question further.

Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:52 AM

Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:16 AM

--
I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.

 - Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC
me.

Hi everyone,

If menus and dialogs on Windows are in English, then it could be an NVDA problem unless the synthesizer announces things in other languages. The cause, as pointed out by Tyler, is NVDA’s UI language. Please follow Tyler’s instructions to return to English (or rather, force English). The real solution is:

  1. Press Control+NVDA+G to open general settings.
  2. Press End key.
  3. Press Enter twice.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:52 AM

Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 8:16 AM

--
I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.

 - Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC
me.

Chris

Or to reset to nvda defaults, do the following

NVDA+Ctrl+R (3 times quickly) = Reset to default settings

This will completely reset nvda to defaults which will use your system language

And don’t forget to restart nvda after this, or changing the nvda language

For changes to take affect

Gene is just complicating the situation needlessly.

Please try this:

1. Press NVDA+ctrl+g. This means hold down the NVDA key (insert),

control and press g.

2. When that dialog comes up, press e.

3. Press enter twice.

If that doesn't work, and you don't mind deleting your NVDA

configuration and starting again, do this:

1. Press windows+r for the run dialog.

2. Type %appdata% and press enter. This is percent, appdata, percent.

3. Find NVDA in that folder, open that, then in there find nvda.ini.

Delete it.

It's best to do all this with NVDA not running, since save configuration

on exit will overwrite it.

On 3/30/2018 6:52 AM, Darrel Hughes via Groups.Io wrote:

> Gene I only want to change it back to English and if you know how that

> would be helpful .  If you don't it's quite alright to say you don't

> know how.

Ervin, Glenn

Cool!

That is good to know!