Blindspot may need to close because of Spotify's changing API.

Per [Spotify's new API requirements,](http://developer.spotify.com/) meaning, they are killing off one in favor of the other, in this case, web... means that accessible apps like BlindSpot may not work anymore. It is a huge shame, but not at all shocking. The Git link is below to the thread.

Before anybody asks, because I know many will, and not bother looking it up, blindspot is an accessible, windowless, alternative application to Spotify that works using the keyboard only, and is only on Windows. The issue thread is below.

https://github.com/craigbrett17/blindspot/issues/38

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

No connection whatsoever with this, but in this age of inclusively, should not a company now about to or is listed not be actually trying to increase their electronic footfall, rather than chucking people off who are blind. its probably against the law in many countries, but as we often see, if you are a powerful entity, you can do what you like. Some companies consider social responsibility to be cheap to comply with and gives them brownie points, while others carry on as if they were in a time 40 years ago.
I'll say no more but I had thought with flash being discontinued the age of inaccessible web content was over.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Per [Spotify's new API requirements,](http://developer.spotify.com/) meaning, they are killing off one in favor of the other, in this case, web... means that accessible apps like BlindSpot may not work anymore. It is a huge shame, but not at all shocking. The Git link is below to the thread.

Before anybody asks, because I know many will, and not bother looking it up, blindspot is an accessible, windowless, alternative application to Spotify that works using the keyboard only, and is only on Windows. The issue thread is below.

https://github.com/craigbrett17/blindspot/issues/38

Perry Simm

Hello,
as far as an accessible web interface is concerned, I can recommend Google Play Music. It uses headings, has keyboard shortcuts, all buttons have reasonable descriptions, and if used with Chrome it doesn't even require the security risk called Flash. It's an accessibility success story too few people know about, in sharp contrast to Spotify which, in my opinion, never really cared.
Cheers Perry

​Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.​

[...]

Damien Garwood <damien@...>

Hi,
To be honest, I never saw the charm in subscription-based streaming. I use 7Digital. Mostly, I download. If I'm going out and don't want to lug my external harddrive around, I'll stream through Sonos. You pay once, then the content's yours and it appears in your library, and you can mix and match it in playlists and all sorts. There is also a 7Digital app, not sure how accessible that is though, never had any reason to try it. But 7Digital seems to be a rather small company, and I had several teleconferences with their web developers back in 2015 regarding accessibility improvements, so can safely say that they definitely care.
Cheers.
Damien.

meaning, they are killing off one in favor of the other, in this case,

web... means that accessible apps like BlindSpot may not work anymore. It

is a huge shame, but not at all shocking. The Git link is below to the

thread.

Before anybody asks, because I know many will, and not bother looking it

up, blindspot is an accessible, windowless, alternative application to

Spotify that works using the keyboard only, and is only on Windows. The

issue thread is below.

https://github.com/craigbrett17/blindspot/issues/38

That is a shame, another inaccessible music service the blind can't use.

Is spotify accessible it seems to be included now on the new install of win10 I have on the workstation.

On 3/04/2018 1:46 a.m., Robert Kingett wrote:
Per [Spotify's new API requirements,](http://developer.spotify.com/) meaning, they are killing off one in favor of the other, in this case, web... means that accessible apps like BlindSpot may not work anymore. It is a huge shame, but not at all shocking. The Git link is below to the thread.

Before anybody asks, because I know many will, and not bother looking it up, blindspot is an accessible, windowless, alternative application to Spotify that works using the keyboard only, and is only on Windows. The issue thread is below.

https://github.com/craigbrett17/blindspot/issues/38

.

Gerardo Corripio

Indeed a shame! I've raelly gotten to love BlindSpot! it's very handy, especially for playing Spotify music on the PC moreover in a very accessible way! Hope something can be done about this before it's too late.

--
Gera
Enviado desde Thunderbird

Tyler Wood

Hi,

I use the regular spotify client and have no issues with it, but will suck that this change is happening.

As pointed out below, not surprising.

On 02-Apr-2018 7:59 PM, Gerardo Corripio wrote:
[...]

Hey guys! and gals. I will check out some suggestions in the thread, but I don't want to download music just so I can play it. I use the radio function on Spotify to write to artists similar to say, Owl City, for example. I guess I can just continue to use Hope. Accessible pandora application. I will see if Google Music has a radio like option and look at all of the other suggestions, but I am not interested in downloading music or storing it somewhere to be played. I guess it's a generational thing, I guess. I like the, pay once, get access to seemingly unlimited albums without downloading anything. Still, great suggestions! Eager to check them out! Yeah, I love blindspot too and use it daily. It's a shame. while the windows version is usable, it's half assed accessible. For instance, the options dialog does not read unless moving the review cursor around. It seems like they just want to appease us. Hey, I absolutely hated Flash to begin with, even when I could see. I always removed it straight away when I imaged a new laptop. Off to try the other services! Toodles!

Gerardo Corripio

Also I think i heard somewhere that Google Play music, has a Windows program that allows you to listen online, and/or download your music onto the computer, especially good for folks like my Dad because of generational things, he wants for music to be available on his mP3 Sansa player, USB and other media he can listen to wihtout depending of an app and a SmartPHone.

El 02/04/2018 a las 11:43 a.m., Perry Simm via Groups.Io escribió:
[...]

Remember too that here in Mexico, and othe other less-developped countries, an unlimited internet plan is very expensive! thus most of us only have from 1GB monthkly, to about 6 or 8. For this reason, being able to download music via Spotify, or others to have available online, is important.
El 03/04/2018 a las 08:08 a.m., Robert Kingett escribió:

[...]

Gene

I'm not sure what the implications are of the change being proposed.  Does it mean that Spotify will continue to function as it did except that specific things like the windowless app won't function?  If so, then you can probably use Spotify radio.  You may be able to save a link, as you do in a browser, for a certain Spotify radio stream.  I don't use Spotify features to any extent.  I listen to albums or parts of albums.  I've almost never useed Spotify radio.  But, as with Spotify Radio, which you say you want to use, if you tell the list specifically how you want to use Spotify, you may get suggestions.

If people send only general information when they have very specific uses in mind, they significantly lower the chances for getting effective help.  So far, we have no idea if anything significant will have to change in what you can and can't do.  It may just be a matter of learning a different way to do things or having certain things you can't do while having certain things you still can.

You may also want, especially if the amount you can do is reduced, to use Spotify as a free service.  Paying for it, which is necessary to use the app we are discussing, may not be necessary for the other way or ways you can do things.  Sound won't be as good, though it's acceptable, and you'll hear commercials, but you won't be paying for a degraded service.

Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2018 8:08 AM

[...]

And we don't know if or when Blind Spot will no longer be compatible.  The subject line says may need to close.  And I looked at the thread linked to.  I don't understand the technical aspects well but it appears that such changes have been proposed for two or three years.  Maybe it isn't time to change anything yet if you want to use what you have been using.

Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2018 8:53 AM

Also I think i heard somewhere that Google Play music, has a Windows
program that allows you to listen online, and/or download your music
onto the computer, especially good for folks like my Dad because of
generational things, he wants for music to be available on his mP3 Sansa
player, USB and other media he can listen to wihtout depending of an app
and a SmartPHone.
El 02/04/2018 a las 11:43 a.m., Perry Simm via Groups.Io escribió:
> Hello,
> as far as an accessible web interface is concerned, I can recommend Google Play Music. It uses headings, has keyboard shortcuts, all buttons have reasonable descriptions, and if used with Chrome it doesn't even require the security risk called Flash. It's an accessibility success story too few people know about, in sharp contrast to Spotify which, in my opinion, never really cared.
> Cheers Perry
>

> ​Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.​

Again, I'm confused.

What part of spotify's web interface is inaccessible?

Everyone keeps saying that so I must be missing something. I see all of the controls, songs, ability to remote control other devices.

Seriously, help me out here guys. I can right click on a song and add it to my playlist and it's no better or worse than any other web interface I've used. The results for said right click show up at the bottom of the screen, just like they do with something like resilio.

Spotify has always been accessible on devices since I've been using it, including mobile, at least since 2013.

On 03-Apr-2018 8:53 AM, Gerardo Corripio wrote:
[...]

Which page do you use for this? because I've two which is the regular Spotify page, and also play.spotify.com which is a web-based player.

El 03/04/2018 a las 01:10 p.m., Tyler Wood escribió:
[...]

I use the regular spotify program for pre windows 10 devices.

The windows 10 app is usable, but you can't up or down arrow because of the store app designs and need to use object nav or tab. Apart from that, though, the layout is exactly the same and you can even find local playlists from iTunes and windows media player to import into spotify.

I also want to say that with a premium account downloading songs to your computer is possible, too.

Hope that helps some

On 03-Apr-2018 1:27 PM, Gerardo Corripio wrote:
[...]

can you tell me how to download songs with spotify? I could never figure this out

I am on the payed plan

On 4/3/2018 11:39 AM, Tyler Wood wrote:
[...]

check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

Gene

How are you using it?  Are you using the desktop computer program     or the web interface with a computer or an appwith a device?  My impression is that accessibility differs considerably, depending on what interface you are using.

What part of spotify's web interface is inaccessible?

Everyone keeps saying that so I must be missing something. I see all of
the controls, songs, ability to remote control other devices.

Seriously, help me out here guys. I can right click on a song and add it
to my playlist and it's no better or worse than any other web interface
I've used. The results for said right click show up at the bottom of the
screen, just like they do with something like resilio.

Spotify has always been accessible on devices since I've been using it,
including mobile, at least since 2013.

On 03-Apr-2018 8:53 AM, Gerardo Corripio wrote:
> Also I think i heard somewhere that Google Play music, has a Windows
> program that allows you to listen online, and/or download your music
> onto the computer, especially good for folks like my Dad because of
> generational things, he wants for music to be available on his mP3
> Sansa player, USB and other media he can listen to wihtout depending
> of an app and a SmartPHone.
> El 02/04/2018 a las 11:43 a.m., Perry Simm via Groups.Io escribió:
>> Hello,
>> as far as an accessible web interface is concerned, I can recommend
>> Google Play Music. It uses headings, has keyboard shortcuts, all
>> buttons have reasonable descriptions, and if used with Chrome it
>> doesn't even require the security risk called Flash. It's an
>> accessibility success story too few people know about, in sharp
>> contrast to Spotify which, in my opinion, never really cared.
>> Cheers Perry
>>

>> ​Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.​

Yes please please! and if when downloaded, can they only be played on Spotify, or can they be transfered to other players like a Victor Reader Stream, for instance?