A weird problem with NVDA and Windows 10

Hi guys,
My NVDA is having a strange and very annoying problem.
It happens that when I stay too much time far from my computer, when I come back my screen is totally frozen and there's nothing I can do about. Mouse and keyboard aparently don't receive my commands, my computer just stays there, out of any action.
The only thing I can do, obviously, is to manually restart it and then all seems to back to normality.
How I can resolve this problem? I'll really appreciate if there's a solution for my cyber nightmare haha

Cheers
Marcio

Ervin, Glenn

Have you tried it without NVDA running?
It sounds more like an operating system problem, and not NVDA.
I would recommend unloading NVDA and load Narrator and see if it still happens.
If it only happens with NVDA, you could reinstall it.
If it does not happen with Narrator, I would try a chkdsk in tools of the drive properties.
HTH.
Glenn

My NVDA is having a strange and very annoying problem.
It happens that when I stay too much time far from my computer, when I come back my screen is totally frozen and there's nothing I can do about. Mouse and keyboard aparently don't receive my commands, my computer just stays there, out of any action.
The only thing I can do, obviously, is to manually restart it and then all seems to back to normality.
How I can resolve this problem? I'll really appreciate if there's a solution for my cyber nightmare haha

Cheers
Marcio

Yes, I tried it without NVDA and that's ok. No problem using my computer.
About CHKDSK, how I can proceed to use it?

Em 02/04/2018 18:50, Ervin, Glenn escreveu:

[...]

If there is no problem without NVDA, then NVDA is the problem.

So I would reinstall NVDA.

But you might do that after a checkdisk anyway.

To check a disk, go to computer on the desktop, or whatever it’s called in windows 10, (This PC I think).

Move to your main drive and press alt + enter.

Control + tab to tools.

Tab down to drive check.

Make sure both items are checked and space bar on start or okay.

It will only check the drive after you restart, and it will take longer than usual to restart, because it will be checking the drive.

Glenn

My NVDA is having a strange and very annoying problem.
It happens that when I stay too much time far from my computer, when I come back my screen is totally frozen and there's nothing I can do about. Mouse and keyboard aparently don't receive my commands, my computer just stays there, out of any action.
The only thing I can do, obviously, is to manually restart it and then all seems to back to normality.
How I can resolve this problem? I'll really appreciate if there's a solution for my cyber nightmare haha

Cheers
Marcio

Thanks for the help!
I'll try it.

Em 02/04/2018 19:03, Ervin, Glenn escreveu:

[...]

I have this with a user with an older system, which is at least for now dead.

He seems to like to leave it with windows open locked ofcause, and well its on all night.

The system is often locked up or really sluggish till I restart it.

My general rule is if I am gone for a few hours at home say 2 of them or less is to leave it on but if I know I will be gone for longer than 30 minutes I tend to shut the entire box down. Unless I am doing something.

On 3/04/2018 9:23 a.m., marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi guys,
My NVDA is having a strange and very annoying problem.
It happens that when I stay too much time far from my computer, when I come back my screen is totally frozen and there's nothing I can do about. Mouse and keyboard aparently don't receive my commands, my computer just stays there, out of any action.
The only thing I can do, obviously, is to manually restart it and then all seems to back to normality.
How I can resolve this problem? I'll really appreciate if there's a solution for my cyber nightmare haha

Cheers
Marcio

.

Gene

I don't see how this has anything to do with a disk problem.  Something happens if the computer is not used for a certain period of time.  Check the power settings in the computer.  Is it set to always on?  Is anything specified to happen after a certain period of time such as that the hard drive will stop or something else will stop or that the computer will go into stand by or sleep?  Dis problems cause data to not be properly written to disk and to be lost or corrupted or cause data not to be properly read from the disk and to be corrupted or lost in that way.  This sounds like a power management problem.  Make sure the always on setting is being used.  If it is being used now, the problem needs more investigation.  If it isn't being used now, use it and see what happens.

My NVDA is having a strange and very annoying problem.
It happens that when I stay too much time far from my computer, when I come back my screen is totally frozen and there's nothing I can do about. Mouse and keyboard aparently don't receive my commands, my computer just stays there, out of any action.
The only thing I can do, obviously, is to manually restart it and then all seems to back to normality.
How I can resolve this problem? I'll really appreciate if there's a solution for my cyber nightmare haha

Cheers
Marcio

Gene

I see that not using NVDA causes the problem not to happen so that part is solved.  I don't see how this is a disk problem.  I think the relevant part of the NVDA log needs to be sent to the list so people who know enough technically can see what might be happening.  Others on the list can tell you how to submit the log.

What is NVDA doing or what isn't working properly after a time of not being used?  Of course, I may be wrong but I am more than skeptical that a hard drive problem has anything to do with the problem.

I still think the power settings should be checked.  I don't know how likely this is, but it still could be that something, the hard drive, the monitor, something, is turning off and can't turn on properly if NVDA is running.  It may be that the computer is going into something like sleep or standbye and isn't turning on properly when NVDA is running.  Or perhaps keyboard input isn't being properly received when this happens when NVDA is running.  I think the hard drive is the least of the possibilities.

My NVDA is having a strange and very annoying problem.
It happens that when I stay too much time far from my computer, when I come back my screen is totally frozen and there's nothing I can do about. Mouse and keyboard aparently don't receive my commands, my computer just stays there, out of any action.
The only thing I can do, obviously, is to manually restart it and then all seems to back to normality.
How I can resolve this problem? I'll really appreciate if there's a solution for my cyber nightmare haha

Cheers
Marcio

Jacob Kruger

Sounds to me like could be screen lock/suspension - try hitting ctrl + alt + delete when the computer seems to have gone to sleep?

And, make sure that NVDA is set to be on at windows logon, etc., even if your computer normally logs in automatically.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
On 2018/04/03 00:03, Ervin, Glenn wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Sounds to me like its going into standby or something after a time and because its not working properly on the log in screen it seems to be stuck.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

My NVDA is having a strange and very annoying problem.
It happens that when I stay too much time far from my computer, when I come back my screen is totally frozen and there's nothing I can do about. Mouse and keyboard aparently don't receive my commands, my computer just stays there, out of any action.
The only thing I can do, obviously, is to manually restart it and then all seems to back to normality.
How I can resolve this problem? I'll really appreciate if there's a solution for my cyber nightmare haha

Cheers
Marcio

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes indeed, it allows windows to do a reasonable job of deleting temp files and other stuff that way. I used to leave my machine in hibernate, and at first this seemed to be good, but after a few days it was slowing down and a complete restart fixed it. Not the issue here but a lesson learned.

I agree with Gene that its most likely to be power settings or an nvda misconfigure or just something odd in the software of that particular laptop maker which we are unaware of.
[...]

Gene,

I too thought it sounded like a power setting, however, if nothing had been changed, it would not likely be the issue.

I suppose the PS could be starting to go, and not charging the battery well.

Glenn

[...]

A corrupt part of the disk can cause problems with a particular file that can be causing a problem like this.

Perhaps the swap file is writing to a bad sector.

Glenn

[...]

But if no settings had been changed, how could it start doing that?
I considered that Marcio would know if a setting had been changed.
Glenn

My NVDA is having a strange and very annoying problem.
It happens that when I stay too much time far from my computer, when I
come back my screen is totally frozen and there's nothing I can do about.
Mouse and keyboard aparently don't receive my commands, my computer just
stays there, out of any action.
The only thing I can do, obviously, is to manually restart it and then all
seems to back to normality.
How I can resolve this problem? I'll really appreciate if there's a
solution for my cyber nightmare haha

Cheers
Marcio

Gene

You should do a reboot of Windows after awhile if you either leave it on, or use hibernate or stand by.  Just as you should do a full reboot of
Windows after awhile if you leave the computer on, using hibernate or stand by stops, or mostly shuts down the actual computer, depending on the option you use, but it doesn't reboot Windows.  but leaving on a machine or using stand by or hibernate for many days or perhaps a week or even longer shouldn't result in bad performance.  After awhile, it will cause problems.  You can experiment if you wish to see how long it takes.  It varies depending on how you use the computer and perhaps on other things.  Some people may have to reboot every four or five days, some people may be able to go for seven days or longer.  Or you may just want to arbitrarily pick a number of days such as four or five and then reboot.  As with memory, there is an enormous amount of inaccurate information passed around on this subject.

Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2018 6:08 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>I have this with a user with an older system, which is at least for now
>dead.
>
> He seems to like to leave it with windows open locked ofcause, and well
> its on all night.
>
> The system is often locked up or really sluggish till I restart it.
>
> My general rule is if I am gone for a few hours at home say 2 of them or
> less is to leave it on but if I know I will be gone for longer than 30
> minutes I tend to shut the entire box down. Unless I am doing something.
>

> On 3/04/2018 9:23 a.m., marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>> My NVDA is having a strange and very annoying problem.
>> It happens that when I stay too much time far from my computer, when I
>> come back my screen is totally frozen and there's nothing I can do about.
>> Mouse and keyboard aparently don't receive my commands, my computer just
>> stays there, out of any action.
>> The only thing I can do, obviously, is to manually restart it and then
>> all seems to back to normality.
>> How I can resolve this problem? I'll really appreciate if there's a
>> solution for my cyber nightmare haha
>>
>> Cheers
>> Marcio
>>

>> .

Gene

None of the messages said anything about settings being changed.  We don't know if they were or not.  there is no reason to assume what the default settings were.  I don't know how they may change from one manufacturer to another.  The default settings may be causing the problem.  Also, just because nothing was said about settings being changed doesn't mean that no settings were.  People are notorious for leaving out relevant information when reporting problems because they are unaware of its relevance or because they don't know something was done.

The suggestion to try using Narrator is a good one.  But nothing in the description suggests that anything related to the hard drive has anything to do with the problem.  The problem occurs after a period of inactivity.  That suggests something that occurs after such a time such as a power setting.

[...]

It is never a bad thing to do a disk check, so it is always worth a try.

Glenn

[...]

We don't know how much ram is in the machine nor if any of it is being used.  I doubt that what you are describing would be caused by the swap file.  If it were, then why does the problem only occur after inactivity.  the swap file, if too much information is being exchanged to be held in RAM, wouldn't just be written to after a certain period of inactivity.

Also, the information being stored in the swap file would change over time and the same symptom wouldn't be the only one.  In this case, the only symptom reported is an inability to use the computer after a period of inactivity.

This sounds as though something is occurring after that time.  I don't know what nor do I know what is going on that the problem appears not to be present when NVDA is not used.  Whatever the problem, I consider disk problems to be the least likely.

[...]

We don't know how long the person has had the computer.  We don't know if other people use it.  We don't know what the manufacturer's default settings are.  We have no basis to know what the person asking the question knows about whether anything has been changed.  And we don't know how long NVDA has been used on the computer.  I'm not saying anything is the case.  I'm saying, don't assume based on almost no information.

Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2018 9:41 AM

But if no settings had been changed, how could it start doing that?
I considered that Marcio would know if a setting had been changed.
Glenn

> My NVDA is having a strange and very annoying problem.
> It happens that when I stay too much time far from my computer, when I
> come back my screen is totally frozen and there's nothing I can do about.
> Mouse and keyboard aparently don't receive my commands, my computer just
> stays there, out of any action.
> The only thing I can do, obviously, is to manually restart it and then all
> seems to back to normality.
> How I can resolve this problem? I'll really appreciate if there's a
> solution for my cyber nightmare haha
>
> Cheers
> Marcio

Ervin, Glenn

If Marcio is not writing anything new to the computer, then the temp file would be written on the same bad sector with each reboot.

So a disk check could fix a spot where the temp file keeps getting written to.

Or, if NVDA has a corrupt file, from a bad sector, it would be a good idea before reinstalling NVDA to do a disk check.

Glenn