NVDA still say unknown

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, everyone,

I just updated to the latest add-on but that didn't help at all. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Gene

Is this a problem that means anything or is it just something being spoken that means nothing?  When you hear unknown, if you just do nothing for a number of seconds, does what you expect to happen happen?

NVDA often says unknown and then, when you wait for a brief time, whatever is supposed to happen happens.  Have you tested to see what happens?  When you hear unknown, wait ten seconds to see if whatever is supposed to happen happens.  Yesterday, you said something about having to issue a program close command twice.  What we don't know is if the second time is doing anything.  If you just wait many seconds and don't do anything, you may find that what you expect to happen happens.  Part of being a good blind computer user is to know what matters and what doesn't.  So far, we don't know if this matters or is just irrelevant speech.

There may be nothing to be done at this time except to ignore it.

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:05 PM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA still say unknown

Hi, everyone,

I just updated to the latest add-on but that didn't help at all. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Gene,

I tried waiting for 10 seconds and nothing happened. I don't know what else to try.

Rosemarie

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:05 PM

Hi, everyone,

I just updated to the latest add-on but that didn't help at all. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Gene

Yesterday, your message appeared to indicate that you can carry out the action by issuing the command twice, as in issuing alt f4 twice.  Is that correct?

Have you determined if this is an NVDA problem?  Have you tried the same commands in the same contexts using Narrator or JAWS?  Is there a need to issue them twice?  Also, have you tried an earlier version of NVDA that used to work correctly?  What happens?

Just having to issue a command twice is a very easy work around.  If that's all that is necessary, this may be one of those small problems where there is a very easy work around and the time and effort involved to try to solve them isn't worth expending.  Not every problem needs to be solved.

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:58 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:05 PM

Hi, everyone,

I just updated to the latest add-on but that didn't help at all. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Gene,

I'm trying narrator right now. I'll see what happens when I hit alt f-4 to get to the desktop.

Rosemarie

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:58 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:05 PM

Hi, everyone,

I just updated to the latest add-on but that didn't help at all. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Gene

What are you referring to?  You said alt f4 to get to the desktop.  Alt f4 closes programs.  It doesn't take you to the desktop.  It often leaves you nowhere.  You have to use the usual Windows key d and Windows key m to move to the desktop.  What exactly is the problem?  You said you hear unknown.  What do you do after that and what happens?

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 3:29 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:58 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:05 PM

Hi, everyone,

I just updated to the latest add-on but that didn't help at all. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

I'm talking about exiting programs. I know how to get to the desktop with alt f-4 or windows D but in the past when I've exited programs, I was taken back to the desktop.

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 3:29 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:58 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:05 PM

Hi, everyone,

I just updated to the latest add-on but that didn't help at all. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Gene

In my experience, exiting programs often doesn't take you to the desktop.  Others may wish to comment.  it's possible that, for somereason, a window is present that isn't visible to the screen-reader.  This window may be the result of a program running in the background.  Have you installed any programs or updated anything around the time the problem started?  Unless you think you have malware or have some other problem, this may well be just a change caused by something, a new program, some sort of update, something that means nothing other than that maybe a window is being displayed that makes you not return to the desktop as often as you expect.

You may be hearing unknown because a window, not recognized by NVDA is getting focus.  You may get the answer most easily by having a sighted person see what's on screen when you close a program.

While this may indicate a problem such as malware, it may indicate nothing except a change in something that affects screen-readers but doesn't affect anything from a sighted users' perspective.

Others may have other comments and suggestions.

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 3:39 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 3:29 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:58 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:05 PM

Hi, everyone,

I just updated to the latest add-on but that didn't help at all. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hmm. I haven't installed any new programs or updated anything. It might be possible that a sighted person might need to look at this and see what's going on. I do know from past experiences that in Jaws when you want to exit a program, you hit alt f-4 and then go to the desktop with windows key M.

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 3:39 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 3:29 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:58 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:05 PM

Hi, everyone,

I just updated to the latest add-on but that didn't help at all. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Chris

Actually when exiting a program nvda does say “unknown”

I didn’t really notice it before until you mentioned it,

But now it probably will bother me, thanks 😃

Steve Gomes <finnygomes@...>

No mine doesn’t take me to the desk top and never did I use windows 7. AltF4 like you sayis the keyboard short cut to close a program. My NVDA says unkown but keeps going it is no problem.

When you come to a fork in the road, it’s time to eat

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 3:39 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 3:29 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:58 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:05 PM

Hi, everyone,

I just updated to the latest add-on but that didn't help at all. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Did you try the nvda/F1 and looking at the log as I suggested, with it in debug first of course. It might give somebody a clue as to what this is about.
Always when one person sees a problem and others do not this is the only way to attempt to explain it.
You could of course try running the latest next snapshot as a portable version and using the tool in tools that reregisters dll files in case some obscure one has become de registered, but to my mind it looks like the screen has no focus or there is a very strange window open from another application.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I just updated to the latest add-on but that didn't help at all. I don't
know what else to try. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Sam Taylor

You could also try pressing control, NVDA F1 to hear the name of the currently active application which may give us a  clue.

On 7/04/2018 17:15, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Did you try the  nvda/F1 and  looking at the log as I suggested, with it in debug first of course. It might give somebody a clue as to what this is about.
Always when one person sees a problem and others do not this is the only way to attempt to explain it.
You could of course try running the latest next snapshot as a portable version and using the tool in tools that reregisters dll files in case some obscure one has become de registered, but to my mind it looks like the screen has no focus or there is  a very strange window open from another application.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rosemarie Chavarria" <knitqueen2007@...>
I just updated to the latest add-on but that didn't help at all. I don't
know what else to try. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

This is a random thing. Very unusual that I get to the desktop it might go to the tray, or maybe a program which is running underneath or nowhere, but it seldom says unknown in the process I find so the guess I have is in my last message. One should never expect the windows software being run to be able to return you to a focussed desktop there are just too many things that can happen, however the word unknown is seldom one of them in my experience.
[...]

Hmm mine does not say unknown, but can be unfocussed.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I'm talking about exiting programs. I know how to get to the desktop with
alt f-4 or windows D but in the past when I've exited programs, I was taken
back to the desktop.

I'm trying narrator right now. I'll see what happens when I hit alt f-4 to
get to the desktop.

Rosemarie

I tried waiting for 10 seconds and nothing happened. I don't know what else
to try.

Rosemarie

I just updated to the latest add-on but that didn't help at all. I don't
know what else to try. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

No it doesn't, windows does seem to leave you even with skype classic in an unknown window, sometimes on action centre it gets stuck somewhere, once you exit windows d takes you to the desktop, you can alt f4 sometimes to close the unknown window, maybe you did something to fast sometimes the system loses speech and thunderbird crashes because I quit to fast but then there is no indication that its checking messages until its downloading them sadly.

On 7/04/2018 8:51 a.m., Gene wrote:
[...]

I found out that the currently active application that's running is team viewer.

I just updated to the latest add-on but that didn't help at all. I don't
know what else to try. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Gene

I suppose you could stop Team Viewer from running at boot up or you could unload it after boot up.

Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2018 10:47 AM

Hi,

I found out that the currently active application that's running is team viewer.

I just updated to the latest add-on but that didn't help at all. I don't
know what else to try. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Annette Moore

I get that unknown thing as well, but I just alt tab and it's gone. I haven't come to the list with it, though, because it's not causing me any problems, and it does go away once I alt tab, and when I maximize the window, it either shows the desktop or another program I'm in, so I don't think it's really anything to worry about. I'd only worry if it was saying "Unknown," within a program and being completely disruptive to whatever I'm doing. It's not doing that, though, so it really doesn't worry me. It's good to know, however, that others are seeing it; good to know it's not just my computer being weird or something.

Annette

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 3:39 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 3:29 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:58 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:05 PM

Hi, everyone,

I just updated to the latest add-on but that didn't help at all. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Ashley Wayne

Same with me exactly.  It says it when I close a program, but stops with alt tab.  It's a bit annoying, but not a major issue.  I'm glad also to see though that it's not just some random weird thing on my computer.

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 3:39 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 3:29 PM

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:58 PM