Topics

Which free office package is more accessible libre office or open office with nvda?

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi guys

I have just been asked this question as mentioned in the subject line. I
do not use these packages at all They also want to know if the package
is uninstalled will it cause any problems like she got when she
uninstalled a copy of microsoft office  or was it another word
processing program.

not sure which program  it was.

it would say unknown in the running applications area, the context menu
and a few other places.

she does not want it to happen again if she decides to try either of
them out.

By the way have they fixed the problem where when you went to do say all
to read the document it would stop after each paragraph.

I know they are not as polished as office with browse mode etc but are
they still very usable.

I think she just wants it for the basics? by the way will it report
formatting so you maybe know the size of the text etc

any help would be great.

Gene nz

Arno Schuh

Hi,

afaIk. both packages are available as portable. So she doesn't need to install LO or OO to test them.
If the one or other satisfy her, she still could change to an installer.

Arno

Am Samstag, 7. April 2018 12:01 schrieb Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think the answer seems to be no, since I use snapshots and neither package can read all successfully still.

Also at present no browse and focus mode in either of them. Of the two generally, I've had most luck with the portable version of Libra Office.
However I only ever use the word processor part.

Incidentally, if the with office are going on, the latest next snapshot has a built in tool to re register the dlls that get excommunicated. We thought this solved it until recently a new version of Skype broke more of the access dlls and stopped bits of excel working with screenreaders.

I'm glad I'm still on windows 7 and an older version of office :-)

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

hi gene.
i tried many versions of both libreoffice and openoffice.
when i uninstalled openoffice
it caused that brows and focus mode not working firefox and i had
troubles for some days.also when openoffice becomes unresponsive,
it causes silence or unresponsiveness for nvda too!
i dont have any of these problems with libreoffice.
but libreoffice since version 5.3, does not read the messages and
dialogs automaticly and even screen review does not work well, because
nvda reads sentences very bad, many words together like one combine
word without space!
even in version 5.2, it does say how many items we replaced when we
use find and replace and select replace all!
i realized that these programs do not support comment, footnotes, endnotes etc.
i never update my libreoffice and decided to use libreoffice 5.1.6 to
prevent these issues!
in 5.2, we can read messages and dialogs with screen review without
any problem, but nvda does not announce them automaticly.
in openoffice, nvda reads some dialogs and messages automaticly.
i dont remember the percentage, maybe all of them and maybe most of them.
i hope that my explanation be clear and helpful for you, God bless you!

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Gene

You are not responding to a message by either Gene.  The message was written by Brian.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

i dont know how to response.
just press e, type my message and send it.

On 4/7/18, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

I'm not discussing how you sent the message.  It reached the list properly.  I'm saying that you wrote Gene on the first line when the message wasn't sent by either Gene.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Angela Delicata

I can confirm that Word processor part in Libre Office is accessible.

Best regards.
Angela from Italy

Il 07/04/2018 13:58, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io ha scritto:
[...]

Ashley Wayne

Hello,
I have only used open office, and for only basic word processing and spreadsheets.  I have found it to work well with nvda, at least so far anyway.

On Sat, Apr 7, 2018, 11:47 AM Angela Delicata <angeladelicata@...> wrote:
I can confirm that Word processor part in Libre Office is accessible.

Best regards.
Angela from Italy

Il 07/04/2018 13:58, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io ha scritto:
> I think the answer seems to be no, since I use snapshots and neither
> package can read all successfully still.
>
> Also at present no browse and focus mode in either of them. Of the two
> generally, I've had most luck with the portable version of Libra Office.
> However I only ever use the word processor part.
>
> Incidentally, if the with office are going on, the latest  next
> snapshot has a built in tool to re register the dlls that get
> excommunicated. We thought this solved it until recently a new version
> of Skype broke more of the access dlls and stopped bits of excel
> working with screenreaders.
>

> I'm glad I'm still on windows 7 and an older version of office :-)
>
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene New Zealand"
> <hurrikennyandopo@...>

They won't do anything if removed I have to remove them to update them on a remote system.

On 7/04/2018 10:01 p.m., Gene New Zealand wrote:
[...]

\

Thanks for all the feedback she has now gone with a portable version of libra office.

Gene nz