Facebook unhappiness

Giles Turnbull

Hi all,

I'm unhappy ... I'm having problems with my smiley faces! I'll use my FB post about it and include a bit of NVDA related info into it.

Giles Turnbull is feeling unhappy.
who am I unhappy with? Facebook, of course! I've noticed that when I type a smiley face with a colon and a right parenthesis, Facebook has started stripping that out of my post or comment. It'd be fine if it was doing some techno jiggery pokery and turning it into a propper emoji but,as far as I can tell, it isn't!
Sod's law says as I try to prove the point by doing it here it'll not vanish ... but normally I'll type a word followd by a space, followed by the colon and then the right parenthesis, and as I'm typing it NVDA tells me there is a colon and a right paren (or if I'm using say all it'll say "smiley face" since I've added that into the dictionary) ... but as soon as it posts NVDA reads the word and then a single space and that's it.

My sighted friends tell me that indeed there is a smiling face so FB IS converting it, but why does my NVDA not identify that there is a graphic or even one of those characters that are silent but you know they are there (like accented characters)?

Here's the transcript from the speech viewer reading the FB post:

Giles Turnbull is feeling unhappy.
who am I unhappy with? Facebook, of course! I've noticed that when I type a smiley face with a colon and a right parenthesis, Facebook has started stripping that out of my post or comment. It'd be fine if it was doing some techno jiggery pokery and turning it into a propper emoji but,as far as I can tell, it isn't!
Sod's law says as I try to prove the point by doing it here it'll not vanish ... but normally I'll have the space before where my colon would be, then a space where the colon should be and then the next word ...
Can anyone confirm whether there is a ascii smiley face, or a pictorial smiley face, as the last thing in this post?
55 mins

Thanks for any suggestions / observations :) ... I'm using NVDA 2018.1 on Win10 and Firefox 59.0.2 (64-bit)

Giles

Chris

Have you tried using the emoticon add-on for nvda?

That’s supposed to read smiles correctly 😃

Ervin, Glenn

Could it be that you made the dictionary for an editor program, and there is a separate dictionary for the Internet program you are using?

I know that Jaws uses program specific dictionaries, so perhaps NVDA does too.

Glenn

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

No not as such it does not.

I guess at some point this could be added using profiles.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

I've installed the emoticon addin but it's not really changed anything. It does speak the text when I read what I've typed in the edit windo, so :) is identified as a “smiling smiley” whereas my dictionary entry used to render that as “smiling face”. But, as soon as I post it to Facebook it vanishes! The same effect as the example I placed at the start of this thread.

Another curious thing is that the insert emoticon feature of the addin doesn't seem to insert anything into FB or a notepad window. I wouldn't expect it to insert anything but ascii emoticons like the colon and right parenthesis for a smiley face into notepad, but I would have expected it to put them into FB.

When other people use emojis in their FB posts FB does attempt to describe them, such as "heavy black heart" (which always made me think somebody was sending love on a sad matter, but which a sighted person tole me is not a black heart at all but some version of a red heart!) ... so even with emoticon addin installed I don't seem to be any closer to being able to use ascii smiley faces in my FB posts!

Giles

John Isige

Did you use paste? The addon only puts whatever you pick into the
clipboard ready for pasting, it doesn't automatically insert things for you.

On 4/10/2018 16:17, Giles Turnbull wrote:
[...]

:(

Laurie Mehta

Out of curiosity, what happens for you if you type :-) [colon, dash, right peren]instead of just :) [colon, right peren]in FaceBook?
-LM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 2:17 PM

I've installed the emoticon
[...]

I'm having the same problem. It sounds like a problem in the Facebook page itself.
Really sad, I often used to use this emoticons