NVDA and Windows Audio Service (audiodg.exe)

Luke Scholey <l.scholey.lists@...>

Hi All

I’m having an alarming issue with NVDA eating all my ram through the Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation Process; audiodg.exe.

Quite a technical issue – I’ll

Try and explain it the best I can.

I had been using my laptop, running Windows 10 and NVDA 2018.1.1, for about 3 hours doing a lot of

Emails and document editing using Microsoft word; so not that advanced. Suddenly, I got a blue screen error telling me my virtual memory had been used up and my laptop needed to restart.

I was naturally curious as to what could’ve, first used so much ram, then that it needed to eat all my virtual memory up.

I consulted task manager and found that the windows audio device graph isolation process – file audiodg.exe was using just over a GB of ram! I new this wasn’t normal and as I was watching it was increasing very fast.

It only increases when NVDA is talking though, that’s the weird thing. I’ve verified that all my audio settings are normal and my audio drivers are up to date. There is nothing else I have running that comes close to using this much ram.

After a while the audiodg.exe program uses so much ram that it shifts some into virtual to try and free some ram. This process then continues until over 30 GB of virtual has been used; then I get the blue screen error.

I then tried using narrator to see what happened to the amount of ram audiodg.exe was using and it was a normal amount and wasn’t increasing. I then played some music and the results were fine again.

Has anyone had this issue before that could help me come to a solution on how to fix this weird leak. If there’s anymore info you need please let me know.

Thanks

Luke

Luke Scholey
Webmaster i/c Publishing
lukescholey.co.uk
Tel: +44 7759 282586
Email: l.scholey@...

WWW.LUKESCHOLEY.CO.UK
All feedback and questions welcome. The site admin can be contacted at:
webmaster@...
All content copyright © 2012-2018 LukeScholey.co.uk
Confidentiality Notice:
This message and any attachments are private and confidential and may be subject to legal privilege and copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please do not publish or copy it to anyone else. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your email software and then remove it from your system.
Disclaimer:
Although this email and attachments have been scanned for viruses, LukeScholey.co.uk accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this communication.

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Hello,

Have you tried to disable the audio enhancements, please read below.

In order to fix the high CPU usage, disable the audio enhancements processed by the audiodg.exe file. To disable the audio enhancements, try the following steps:

1. Right-click the speaker icon in the right-hand notification area on the taskbar.

2. Select Playback Devices from the menu. A list of devices should appear on the screen.

3. Double-click the device that has a green checkmark. The properties windows for that device should open.

4. Click the Enhancements tab at the top.

5. From the list of enhancements, uncheck all of them, or click the Disable all enhancements checkbox.

6. Click the OK button to save your changes and close the window.

7. Click OK to close the Playback Devices window.

[...]

Rob Hudson

Ralf Kefferpuetz <ralf.kefferpuetz@elra-consulting.de> wrote:
Have you tried to disable the audio enhancements, please read below.
Not every audio device has audio enhancements. So this isn't a surefire fix.

Luke Scholey <l.scholey.lists@...>

Correct, my device doesn’t have this so unfortunately doesn’t apply.
Thanks though
Luke

--
Luke Scholey
Webmaster i/c Publishing

webmaster@lukescholey.co.uk
All content copyright © 2012-2018 LukeScholey.co.uk
Confidentiality Notice:
This message and any attachments are private and confidential and may be subject to legal privilege and copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please do not publish or copy it to anyone else. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your email software and then remove it from your system.
Disclaimer:
Although this email and attachments have been scanned for viruses, LukeScholey.co.uk accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this communication.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Does it make any difference which synth is in use when this occurs? You say it does not have enhancements, but some people have found a generic driver has fixed this problem, implying that some drivers are hiding their enhancements or are just not behaving on synth use through screenreaders.
Strange that Narrator is OK though.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

Doesn’t matter if it’s espeak or sapi it’s still eating all my ram.
How do I switch to a different driver?
Thanks
Luke

----- Original Message ----- From: "Luke Scholey" <l.scholey.lists@lukescholey.co.uk>
[...]

valiant8086

Hi.

Is this a dell? If so, I'll need to gloat for a bit. I have a serious hate on for the wave max audio stuff.  If it is, a possible fix is to delete the audio driver and reboot. For a short while after you reboot, you'll have a stock windows driver that works fine with the only exception being that it doesn't support headsets with the microphone on the same 8th inch plug in a combo jack, it still records from internal even if you use a headset with a microphone on it. Note though  a couple of things, if you end up with no sound, you need a way to recover. I suggest making sure NVDA remote is set to auto start and auto connect in the allow another pc to control this one mode, and if you have another computer handy, restart without doing anything else to ensure you're able to get in from the other computer. Alternatively if you have a USB sound device you could plug in, that'll work.

If this solution works, until the driver updates itself again, you can use the WinaeroTweaker application (free download) to block all driver updates. Dell is really good about  making sure your drivers stay up to date so drastic measures are needed to stop it. I don't even know if this will work, when I had a dell for a few days I didn't know about this, so I tried another alternative that worked, denying system write privilages to the realtek folder in program files (and program files (x86) both, but for the system account only If you do it that way, be darn sure you don't accidentally do it to your own account or I won't be able to figure out how to get you to be able to see the folder again to fix it. Deny write and modify to it, for the system account and only that.

Alternatively, if this is recent, let's blame NVDA? Lol

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, A.K.A. valiant8086. General Partner - Valiant Galaxy Associates "We make Very Good Audiogames for the blind community - http://valiantGalaxy.com"

<Sent with Thunderbird 52.1.0 portable>

On 4/12/2018 1:03 PM, Luke Scholey wrote:
[...]

It is a Dell yes.
Interesting suggestion there, I’ll give it a go. How do I delete the driver? And also, why do you think this issue specific to NVDA?
I’m not that confident with Dell laptops at the moment, but they seem to be popping up in my life a lot more often.
Thanks
Luke

On 13 Apr 2018, at 13:43, valiant8086 <valiant8086@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

enes sarıbaş

it isn't specific to Dell. Try enabling DTS and IDT sound effects for toshiba satallite l50 series laptops. Thank god there is a disable enhancements checkbox for sound effects, and a disable option in the system tray icon of DTS.

Wait what, dell doesn't allow you to disable enhancements in the sound settings? That is retarded seriously. There should be a check box in the actual realtech control panel, which you will likely need sighted help to access.

On 4/13/2018 4:42 PM, Luke Scholey wrote:
[...]

also forgot to add that with dts enabled, windows was eating up at least 500 mb of ram with the audiodg.exe process.

[...]

Brian Moore

Hi.  I have seen this on a  few newer laptops where there was actually no option in the control panel for realtek or anywhere else to disable the enhancements.  It was a serious problem as with speech, it was over driving the audio and there was lots of distortion.  there didn't seem to be a way that any of us could find to disable it.

the "dell audio" app seems to be integrated with the realtek stuff with no separate entry for removing it.  You can uninstall the driver and get a standard realtek driver but you do loose combo jacks etc when you do that.

I was only using this laptop for a short term contract so lived with it for 5 weeks but this would have been grounds to return one if it were one I owned.

Brian Moore <bmoore@screenreview.org> wrote:
Hi. I have seen this on a few newer laptops where there was actually
no option in the control panel for realtek or anywhere else to disable
the enhancements. It was a serious problem as with speech, it was over
driving the audio and there was lots of distortion.
What happens if you use a USB headset. Can you get around this? Or, perhaps, a bluetooth headset?

enes sarıbaş

but the app should have an option to turn off the enhancements. They can't force those. There should be a hidden registry setting or group policy. Sounds like a talk with dell or microsoft is in order. Someone should contact dell, and explain that the enhancements are problamatic with screen reader users, and an option is required to disable them for blind users. Also, if microsoft wanted, it could add an option to disable audio enhancements from the ease of access center.

On 4/13/2018 11:01 PM, Brian Moore wrote:
[...]

Agree with all the points raised here, unfortunately it is a Dell and there is no way of accessing any other audio Control Panel.
A USB headset or Bluetooth headset has the same problem unfortunately.
The thing I don’t understand is, why do enhancements matter to NVDA? Why not the same issue with narrator?
Audiodg.exe currently at 2.3 GB ram at the moment haha I’m beginning to loose my mind.
Thanks
Luke

On 13 Apr 2018, at 21:08, enes sarıbaş <enes.saribas@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Ervin, Glenn

Does it happen with Jaws?
A Jaws demo would allow you to test.
This knowledge might help make NVDA more robust.
Glenn

[...]

no, Jaws works fine.
In my opinion, it’s either NVDA or an obscure Dell problem that I haven’t figured out yet.
Thanks
Luke

On 13 Apr 2018, at 21:53, Ervin, Glenn <glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov> wrote:

[...]

Tyler Wood

Hi,

GOing to the dell audio control panel on my dell and disabling the enhancements fixed my audio service from taking up unneeded processor though it never did use more ram.

It also fixed the over driving of speech, but I also did not have wave max audio.

Though, I don't think dell is the only one doing this these days.

On 13-Apr-2018 4:23 PM, Luke Scholey wrote:
[...]

when I used it, was exactly the same with Jaws.  I never had the ram issues but could never get the audio working correctly.

On 13/04/2018 5:33 PM, Tyler Wood wrote:
[...]

Hi Tyler
How do you access the Dell audio Control Panel? I know through all my searching I haven’t found a way of disabling enhancements because I don’t think my laptop has any.
Thanks
Luke

On 13 Apr 2018, at 22:34, Brian Moore <bmoore@screenreview.org> wrote:

[...]

You should be able to go into control panel.

From there, see if you have dell audio control panel listed.

I had to fiddle with object nav but from there, I went into the speakers tab and set the enhancement preset to off.