From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Matt Turner
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2018 10:02 AM
To: NVDA <nvda@groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] Using the Goldwave add-on?

Hi folks.

Just checking out goldwave.

I have the latest add-on installed, 18.03 but when I press play or record, I get no feedback from NVDA.

When pressing NVDA+Shift+C, I hear Toggles speaking of commands, but still no feedback.

Matt Turner

I think so.

When I have a file open, and hit the spacebar, said file plays.

On 4/12/2018 1:26 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Eh? Are you sure you are in a sound window?
Cheers,
Joseph

I have the latest add-on installed, 18.03 but when I press play or record, I get no feedback from NVDA.

When pressing NVDA+Shift+C, I hear Toggles speaking of commands, but still no feedback.

Hi,
Can you tell me what NVDA says when you press Control+NVDA+number rows 1 through 4?
Cheers,
Joseph

I have the latest add-on installed, 18.03 but when I press play or record, I get no feedback from NVDA.

When pressing NVDA+Shift+C, I hear Toggles speaking of commands, but still no feedback.

Matt Turner

OK, wow, weird.
Feedback for playing/ recording, are working fine now.
I think, when i was using the spacebar to play, I expected some feedback. Said feedback happens when I hit f4, then It says play.

On 4/12/2018 1:37 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Can you tell me what NVDA says when you press Control+NVDA+number rows 1 through 4?
Cheers,
Joseph

I have the latest add-on installed, 18.03 but when I press play or record, I get no feedback from NVDA.

When pressing NVDA+Shift+C, I hear Toggles speaking of commands, but still no feedback.

Hi,
Right - because space bar plays/pauses tracks, thus a bit hard to detect which one is which. I usually press F4 to play tracks in GoldWave (when editing tracks, of course).
Cheers,
Joseph

I have the latest add-on installed, 18.03 but when I press play or record, I get no feedback from NVDA.

When pressing NVDA+Shift+C, I hear Toggles speaking of commands, but still no feedback.

Gene

I don't use Gold Wave but not having feedback when certain keys are pressed may be intentional.  When editing, it might really be nerve-racking to hear keys announced repeatedly that you already know and use very often.  When playing or recording, the same may be true.  And, if you are recording using Stereo Mix, you don't want the screen-reader to talk and be recorded unless you are doing something you want to be recorded and you generally wouldn't want commands involved in starting and stopping a recording to be recorded.

Don't assume and, if something doesn't work as you expect, think about why it may be the case.  If something clearly doesn't work properly, that's different.

I use MP3 Direct Cut.  Even when I have NVDA set to speak letters, when I issue commands in NVDA Direct Cut, NVDA doesn't speak.  I would think the same reasons apply in both programs.  These are my guesses about why this is the case.  They may be wrong but they are examples of what I'm describing.

Right - because space bar plays/pauses tracks, thus a bit hard to detect which one is which. I usually press F4 to play tracks in GoldWave (when editing tracks, of course).
Cheers,
Joseph

Feedback for playing/ recording, are working fine now.
I think, when i was using the spacebar to play, I expected some feedback. Said feedback happens when I hit f4, then It says play.
On 4/12/2018 1:37 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
> Hi,
> Can you tell me what NVDA says when you press Control+NVDA+number rows 1 through 4?
> Cheers,
> Joseph

In case there is any confusion, I intended to reply to Matt and the list.  I left Joseph's message below mine, but to make this clear, I should have removed it, as I did in this reply.

I don't use Gold Wave but not having feedback when certain keys are pressed may be intentional.  When editing, it might really be nerve-racking to hear keys announced repeatedly that you already know and use very often.  When playing or recording, the same may be true.  And, if you are recording using Stereo Mix, you don't want the screen-reader to talk and be recorded unless you are doing something you want to be recorded and you generally wouldn't want commands involved in starting and stopping a recording to be recorded.

Don't assume and, if something doesn't work as you expect, think about why it may be the case.  If something clearly doesn't work properly, that's different.

I use MP3 Direct Cut.  Even when I have NVDA set to speak letters, when I issue commands in NVDA Direct Cut, NVDA doesn't speak.  I would think the same reasons apply in both programs.  These are my guesses about why this is the case.  They may be wrong but they are examples of what I'm describing.
I don't use Gold Wave but not having feedback when certain keys are pressed may be intentional.  When editing, it might really be nerve-racking to hear keys announced repeatedly that you already know and use very often.  When playing or recording, the same may be true.  And, if you are recording using Stereo Mix, you don't want the screen-reader to talk and be recorded unless you are doing something you want to be recorded and you generally wouldn't want commands involved in starting and stopping a recording to be recorded.

Don't assume and, if something doesn't work as you expect, think about why it may be the case.  If something clearly doesn't work properly, that's different.

I use MP3 Direct Cut.  Even when I have NVDA set to speak letters, when I issue commands in NVDA Direct Cut, NVDA doesn't speak.  I would think the same reasons apply in both programs.  These are my guesses about why this is the case.  They may be wrong but they are examples of what I'm describing.

Feedback for playing/ recording, are working fine now.
I think, when i was using the spacebar to play, I expected some feedback. Said feedback happens when I hit f4, then It says play.
On 4/12/2018 1:37 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
> Hi,
> Can you tell me what NVDA says when you press Control+NVDA+number rows 1 through 4?
> Cheers,
> Joseph

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Which version of Goldwave do you have?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I have the latest add-on installed, 18.03 but when I press play or record, I get no feedback from NVDA.

When pressing NVDA+Shift+C, I hear Toggles speaking of commands, but still no feedback.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Besides it can be annoying if it keeps saying play and pause all the time or stop or whatever, so I tend to use the space bar to avoid the chat and the other keys when I do want to hear stuff.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Right - because space bar plays/pauses tracks, thus a bit hard to detect which one is which. I usually press F4 to play tracks in GoldWave (when editing tracks, of course).
Cheers,
Joseph

I have the latest add-on installed, 18.03 but when I press play or record, I get no feedback from NVDA.

When pressing NVDA+Shift+C, I hear Toggles speaking of commands, but still no feedback.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Actually it won't record your commands if you have the input set to something other than what you hear, and for that i normally use another piece of software anyway.

[...]

But you may want to use What You Hear while recording yourself speak.  You aren't necessarily going to want to switch sound sources continually while recording something like a tutorial.  You may want to record, stop or pause, then resume and record more speech and not have to edit out your screen-reader speaking every time you do something like resume recording.  You'll probably want to edit the file anyway, but you might save some editing if such commands weren't spoken.

Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2018 3:21 PM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'