creating A portable copy

Casey <cwollner@...>

Hi I have the drive that I would like to make my portable of NVDA on.

Now what I would like to know is should I create A folder for the portable copy and then  make the portable copy?

And then once I do that how do I run the portable copy after it has been made?

Or should I just make it to the root of the drive I want to use for the portable copy?

I would like to know the best way to go about this.

--

Casey

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Casey

When ever i make a portable version of NVDA I always make a folder and
usually call it nvda. it will then put all your files into that folder.
make sure you do not have other folders or files starting with the
letter n as well.

You can have other folders on the USB stick but not with the letter N
and or you could put your files into those folders if it is other stuff.
Otherwise what could happen also is if it is the only thing  you are
putting the files onto it will splatter your files all over the USB stick.
It would be rather harder to start your copy of nvda then.
There are 58 files or so that nvda uses and if you had extra folders or
files you get the idea.

I do if you are interested have different ways of starting NVDA from a
USB stick on my website which can be found on my nvda audio tutorials
page on my website at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net
The easiest way for new people is to start narrator then find the USB
stick with nvda on it if going to a new machine. I do not use narrator
as i am pretty use to starting NVDA from a USB stick on a different
computer.

Gene nz

On 4/13/2018 11:08 AM, Casey wrote:
Hi I have the drive that I would like to make my portable of NVDA on.

Now what I would like to know is should I create A folder for the
portable copy and then  make the portable copy?

And then once I do that how do I run the portable copy after it has
been made?

Or should I just make it to the root of the drive I want to use for
the portable copy?

I would like to know the best way to go about this.

Casey <cwollner@...>

Hi okay that is what i did is create A new folder.

And then made the portable copy so then how to you run the portable copy.

So now you first put in your removable drive make the folder called nvda on it.

Then close out of that and then go and make your portable copy but when you are making it.

You of course select the letter of your removable drive that you want it created on and then the folder you want it in.

So once that is done then how do you get that portable to run.

Either on your machine or another machine?

This is my first time really doing this and wanting to make sure I do it correctly.

[...]

Probably the easiest way so you get a idea is to use narrator first.

What operating system are you using?

I think in the earlier versions of windows it was the windows key + the
enter key to start narrator

In later versions of Windows in 10 i think it was not sure which version
it was the CTRL key + windows key + the enter key.

This would start up your copy of narrator. You would then navigate to
where your drives were.

i would use the Windows key + E to bring up file explorer then go down
to the USB stick then go into the folder of nvda then find the nvda.exe
file then press the enter key. NVDA then would start up then i would use
the alt/tab key to bring up narrator then close it with the alt + f4 key.

After that you would then use NVDA.

If there is a log on screen I have found no way around that. to start nvda.

The other way I have on my usb sticks is labeling the usb stick which
would be labeled qqq then a folder made called nvda and the files went
into that. I like that way 2.

The nvda audio tutorials page can be found at
http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20audio%20tutorials.html

There are different ways of starting nvda from a usb stick there I think
from Xp up to windows 10 which depending how you have it set is if you
jump any extra hoops which might be the same for other operating systems.

You will see what i mean for say windows 10 on how you have it set to
what hoops you might have to jump.

Gene nz

On 4/13/2018 11:40 AM, Casey wrote:
[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Gene NZ,

I think it was control enter in earlier versions of windows 10 if I'm not mistaken.

Rosemarie

[...]

Control+win+enter starts Narrator.

[...]

For earlier versions of Windows it was the windows key + enter key and some where in windows 10 then they changed it to the later one which you specified.

I did not get told what operating system she had so gave both commands to start up narattor to start her copy of nvda on the new machine.

as she is trying it for the first time with a portable copy of nvda.

Gene nz

On 4/13/2018 3:37 PM, Governor staten wrote:

[...]

Angela Delicata

I usually create a portable copy into a folder previously made by myself.
To make it run, I simply open the folder , find nvda.exe and click enter on that.

Il 13/04/2018 01:08, Casey ha scritto:
Hi I have the drive that I would like to make my portable of NVDA on.

Now what I would like to know is should I create A folder for the portable copy and then  make the portable copy?

And then once I do that how do I run the portable copy after it has been made?

Or should I just make it to the root of the drive I want to use for the portable copy?

I would like to know the best way to go about this.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I have to say that once you have it, assuming its on an internal drive, I simply make a shortcut and move that to my desktop as you get more used to things you can as I do put little batch files in the folder with nvda which will automatically close any other running instance of nvda first. its good to do this even if its on a stick or it won't work if nvda is on the machine but acting silent. One thing to watch is that if you are doing portable work and you may encounnter a machine running xp or vista, is to have two versions on the stick, one 2017.3 for those machines and one of the latest release.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

Only on 10. I tend to create a shortcut to it with a known keystrokewhich is the same for all machines. Saves the old grey matter overheating.
[...]

Gene

I believe the person is placing the portable copy on a thumb drive.  The question may be asking how to run the program on a computer with no way to know what lettter is the drive letter and with no other screen-reader running.

Run Narrator, find the folder and open it.  If you open the folder and type the letter n, you will be on the correct file so you can just type n and press enter.  After NVDA is running, you can shut down Narrator.  It causes no problems having both NVDA and Narrator running at the same time and closing Narrator causes no problems for NVDA running.

Also, the NVDA installer doesn't create its own folder.  Always create a folder or use a preexisting one you have created.  If you don't, the files will be placed in whatever folder is being used or right on the main part of the drive, neither of which would be desirable.  In general, installers of portable software create their own folders.  Other activities such as unzipping files create their own folders.  The NVDA portable installer not doing so is a serious lack of conformance to usual procedure and may cause people inconvenience and annoyance if they assume the installer will work as is generally the case.  This should be changed.

I should add that if this has been changed in recent versions, then that's good.  I haven't used recent versions.  But up until many months ago, it wasn't the case.

Gene

Sent: Friday, April 13, 2018 2:54 AM

I usually create a portable copy into a folder previously made by myself.
To make it run, I simply open the folder , find nvda.exe and click enter
on that.

Il 13/04/2018 01:08, Casey ha scritto:
> Hi I have the drive that I would like to make my portable of NVDA on.
>
> Now what I would like to know is should I create A folder for the
> portable copy and then  make the portable copy?
>
> And then once I do that how do I run the portable copy after it has
> been made?
>
> Or should I just make it to the root of the drive I want to use for
> the portable copy?
>
> I would like to know the best way to go about this.

Steve Nutt

Hi,

I tend to always create a portable copy in a folder called nvda.

So if it's my computer, I know what drive it comes up, so I would press the windows key and R to bring up the Run menu and type without the quotes "f:\nvda\nvda.exe".

If it's someone else's computer, then I would load Narrator then plug in my drive. Then I know what drive it comes up as, and I'd follow the same procedure, closing Narrator first.

By the way, to close Narrator, just press Control+Windows+Enter again from anywhere in Windows 10, it's a toggle.

All the best

Steve

[...]

No, it was Windows+enter. If you did Control+enter for example in Word, you would force a new page, so they couldn't use that for Narrator.

All the best

Steve

All the best

Steve
All the best

Steve

[...]

You don't have to close Narrator first.  You can close it after NVDA runs and no problems are caused.  I think it should be allowed to run until NVDA is running in case any unanticipated error messages come up.

> [...]

>> page on my website at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net
>> The easiest way for new people is to start narrator then find the USB
>> stick with nvda on it if going to a new machine. I do not use narrator
>> as i am pretty use to starting NVDA from a USB stick on a different
>> computer.
>>
>> Gene nz
>>

>> On 4/13/2018 11:08 AM, Casey wrote:
>>> Hi I have the drive that I would like to make my portable of NVDA on.
>>>
>>> Now what I would like to know is should I create A folder for the
>>> portable copy and then  make the portable copy?
>>>
>>> And then once I do that how do I run the portable copy after it has
>>> been made?
>>>
>>> Or should I just make it to the root of the drive I want to use for
>>> the portable copy?
>>>
>>> I would like to know the best way to go about this.

I agree, it’s just my workflow, as I don’t like both speaking at once.

All the best

Steve