NVDA and Canute multiline display

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

HI

It looks like the Canute will be sold sometime around September of this year 2018. So my question is this… Will there be an NVDA addon to let me well lets say I am in an excel or google sheets spreadsheet… Could I press a key combination, and the addon would format and send the spreadsheet for viewing on the Canute? Or if I’m on the desktop, just dump the current screen to the Canute? Or if on a website, and if using a reader addon in chrome or firefox or edge, send the website for viewing on the Canute? Or if I am in a view of a graph or chart in a spreadsheet like excel, send all info about, and regarding the chart, to the Canute for viewing? The canute would be more of a display for reading, not for editing.

The website for the Canute is:

http://www.bristolbraille.co.uk/

Thanks

Josh

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Cristóbal

I could be wrong and I hope I am, but I thought I read that this device for now is more of a stand-alone option. Something to do with screen readers and multi-line this or that that present technical challenges in its current state.

[...]

Antony Stone

This is indeed a fascinating device (9 lines of 40 cells, for a few hundred
pounds sterling, instead of many thousands for a one-line display), however if
you read the end of http://www.bristolbraille.co.uk/canute-faq.htm it says:

"Can I Use Canute as a Braille Display for my Computer/Smartphone/Tablet?

"Not yet. Screen reading software typically used to drive refreshable Braille
displays are designed to show one Braille line at a time. Plus, the Canute’s
refresh rate make it unsuitable for editing text. We are actively working with
OS developers to integrate Canute support and expect screen reader plug-ins
will become available to send a document or screen of text to the Canute."

So, don't expect it to be usable with NVDA any time soon.

Antony.

--
I bought a book about anti-gravity. The reviews say you can't put it down.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Andy

The latest Blind Bargains Podcast eluded to the idea that there will be such an add on.

Andy

[...]

Can you post a link to that podcast please?

Antony.

On Friday 13 April 2018 at 21:47:56, Andy wrote:

[...]

The Magic Words are Squeamish Ossifrage.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I'd have thought line length was a bit short and indeed you only get 9 lines. On chatting to somebody some time ago they also said it was also going to be adaptable to emboss, not sure how that would work.
I'm not going to brush up my Braille though, I might if I was working of course.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

It was quite slow when I last saw it. it reminded me of one of those mechanical train despatchboards one used to get at stations which made a clickety clacking noise as they moved around, slowly.
[...]

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

I would think the best solution is the tried-and-true terminal mode. In this case, the device would be a braille display driven by nvda. Of course, this would require Braille display drivers, but wood share Braille information seamlessly.

I have not tried the device, so don't know what its abilities are. Best, Erik

there is a brand new podcast about the latest canute360 over at www.blindbargains.com the canute now sounds like a quiet inkJet printer when it refreshes.