Using an alternative synth with a portal copy of NVDA

James AUSTIN

Hi folks,

Is it possible to use a alternative speech synth  to espeak with a portable copy of NVDA please?

Thanks

Best wishes

James

John Isige

Yes. Any synths that are addons, e.g. SVOX Pico, can be copied into your
portable version with any other addons. Addons you have to license, like
Vocalizer, can be licensed, e.g. if you do a copy on a portable USB key.
I don't know how something like SAPI 5 Eloquence would work with
licensing, it might not since it would need to be installed, but if you
installed it to a USB drive, maybe it would, although I don't know if a
Windows system you plugged the drive into would search the drive for a
SAPI synthesizer rather than its own installed files. The Windows 10
OneCore voices will work on any Windows 10 system, same with any SAPI 5
voices installed on Windows, depending on the version. So yes, you can
use other synthesizers in a portable copy of NVDA.

On 4/13/2018 10:39, James AUSTIN wrote:
Hi folks,

Is it possible to use a alternative speech synth  to espeak with a
portable copy of NVDA please?

Thanks

Best wishes

James

James AUSTIN

Hi John

Thanks very much I think my friend uses the SAPI 5 voices. I suspected that they wouldwork, but would she havae to copy them i.e. there exec files on to the thumb drive or would NVDA's preferences take care of initialisation?

Thanks

James

On 13/04/2018 19:09, John Isige wrote:
[...]

Gene

If they are just SAPI 5 voices, installed and running on the machine being used, NVDA portable will work with them just as it does with any SAPI voices that may have been placed on the machine by Windows.  Until either Windows 8 or 10, Narrator used a SAPI 5 voice for Narrator and NVDA, portable or not, worked with it as it does with any SAPI 5 voice.

If the voice isn't on the computer being used, it must be installed on that computer.  It is completely separate from NVDA.

Gene

Sent: Friday, April 13, 2018 1:16 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using an alternative synth with a portal copy of NVDA

Hi John

Thanks very much I think my friend uses the SAPI 5 voices. I suspected
that they wouldwork, but would she havae to copy them i.e. there exec
files on to the thumb drive or would NVDA's preferences take care of
initialisation?

Thanks

James

On 13/04/2018 19:09, John Isige wrote:
> Yes. Any synths that are addons, e.g. SVOX Pico, can be copied into your
> portable version with any other addons. Addons you have to license, like
> Vocalizer, can be licensed, e.g. if you do a copy on a portable USB key.
> I don't know how something like SAPI 5 Eloquence would work with
> licensing, it might not since it would need to be installed, but if you
> installed it to a USB drive, maybe it would, although I don't know if a
> Windows system you plugged the drive into would search the drive for a
> SAPI synthesizer rather than its own installed files. The Windows 10
> OneCore voices will work on any Windows 10 system, same with any SAPI 5
> voices installed on Windows, depending on the version. So yes, you can
> use other synthesizers in a portable copy of NVDA.
>

> On 4/13/2018 10:39, James AUSTIN wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Is it possible to use a alternative speech synth  to espeak with a
>> portable copy of NVDA please?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> James

James AUSTIN

Thanks for the clarification jean
Best
James

Sent: Friday, April 13, 2018 1:16 PM

Hi John

Thanks very much I think my friend uses the SAPI 5 voices. I suspected
that they wouldwork, but would she havae to copy them i.e. there exec
files on to the thumb drive or would NVDA's preferences take care of
initialisation?

Thanks

James

On 13/04/2018 19:09, John Isige wrote:
> Yes. Any synths that are addons, e.g. SVOX Pico, can be copied into your
> portable version with any other addons. Addons you have to license, like
> Vocalizer, can be licensed, e.g. if you do a copy on a portable USB key.
> I don't know how something like SAPI 5 Eloquence would work with
> licensing, it might not since it would need to be installed, but if you
> installed it to a USB drive, maybe it would, although I don't know if a
> Windows system you plugged the drive into would search the drive for a
> SAPI synthesizer rather than its own installed files. The Windows 10
> OneCore voices will work on any Windows 10 system, same with any SAPI 5
> voices installed on Windows, depending on the version. So yes, you can
> use other synthesizers in a portable copy of NVDA.
>

> On 4/13/2018 10:39, James AUSTIN wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Is it possible to use a alternative speech synth  to espeak with a
>> portable copy of NVDA please?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> James

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

If its an add on and does not depend on resources of the computer, ie that some synth is an installed device.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-