Recommended braille displays for use with NVDA?

Jason White

Are there any braille displays that are particularly well supported by NVDA,
including the BrailleExtender add-on and its assignment of keyboard functions
to braille display keys?

Are there any braille display vendors who have been especially cooperative
with the NVDA project?

I wish to take this into account in a personal purchasing decision, among
other factors, so I thought I should ask here.

Angela Delicata

I have  Vario Ultra made by Baum which is a German factory... It is very god with nvda: it works well.

Il 17/04/2018 18:25, Jason White via Groups.Io ha scritto:
Are there any braille displays that are particularly well supported by NVDA,
including the BrailleExtender add-on and its assignment of keyboard functions
to braille display keys?

Are there any braille display vendors who have been especially cooperative
with the NVDA project?

I wish to take this into account in a personal purchasing decision, among
other factors, so I thought I should ask here.

Rui Fontes

Hello!
Atention, BAUM is closed since begining of 2018 due to bankrupcy...

Rui

Às 20:33 de 17/04/2018, Angela Delicata escreveu:

I have  Vario Ultra made by Baum which is a German factory... It is very god with nvda: it works well.
Il 17/04/2018 18:25, Jason White via Groups.Io ha scritto:
Are there any braille displays that are particularly well supported by NVDA,
including the BrailleExtender add-on and its assignment of keyboard functions
to braille display keys?

Are there any braille display vendors who have been especially cooperative
with the NVDA project?

I wish to take this into account in a personal purchasing decision, among
other factors, so I thought I should ask here.

Angela Delicata

Really? I  did not know it.... So, what will happen for those who have their products?

Ciao and thanks.

Angela  from Italy

Il 17/04/2018 21:48, Rui Fontes ha scritto:
Hello!
Atention, BAUM is closed since begining of 2018 due to bankrupcy...

Rui

Às 20:33 de 17/04/2018, Angela Delicata escreveu:
I have  Vario Ultra made by Baum which is a German factory... It is very god with nvda: it works well.

Il 17/04/2018 18:25, Jason White via Groups.Io ha scritto:
Are there any braille displays that are particularly well supported by NVDA,
including the BrailleExtender add-on and its assignment of keyboard functions
to braille display keys?

Are there any braille display vendors who have been especially cooperative
with the NVDA project?

I wish to take this into account in a personal purchasing decision, among
other factors, so I thought I should ask here.

Rui Fontes

You only will have problems if your display have technical problems...

I can't find any company to repair them...

Rui

Às 20:58 de 17/04/2018, Angela Delicata escreveu:

[...]

Unfortunately, yes, Baum is in financial difficulty and currently isn't
operating.

I have owned two of their displays over the years, both excellent. It seems
that I'll have to look elsewhere for my next display, though. I've been doing
the research but have not yet made the final decision.

Rui Fontes <rui.fontes@tiflotecnia.com> wrote:

Hello!
Atention, BAUM is closed since begining of 2018 due to bankrupcy...

Rui

Às 20:33 de 17/04/2018, Angela Delicata escreveu:
I have  Vario Ultra made by Baum which is a German factory... It is very
god with nvda: it works well.

Il 17/04/2018 18:25, Jason White via Groups.Io ha scritto:
Are there any braille displays that are particularly well supported
by NVDA,
including the BrailleExtender add-on and its assignment of keyboard
functions
to braille display keys?

Are there any braille display vendors who have been especially
cooperative
with the NVDA project?

I wish to take this into account in a personal purchasing decision, among
other factors, so I thought I should ask here.

James AUSTIN

Have you considered a Brailliant from Humanware? They used i believe to get their displays from Baum, before they took production in-house.  Their displays are extremely sturdy  and crisp.

Best wishes

James

On 17/04/2018 22:26, Jason White via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Brandon Cross <bcross3286@...>

I have just bought a Brailliant Bi-40 second hand, it is a very nice display. I cannot get it to work in USB mode though with NVDA, it will work in bluetooth mode, but USB, only if I turn the protocol option to OpenBraille. This is fine, but I cannot also update the firmware, or check for updates with the tool, because it says it cannot find the virtual com port, I've tried removing and installing the driver several times to no avail. I wanted to check if there are any newer firmwares because the bluetooth is kind of on the slightly less than good side of good. It's ok, but it keeps having issues where it will not respond, then it does and everything that was queued up will start going through.

Rui Fontes <rui.fontes@...> wrote:
[...]

HIMS Braille Edge?

Rui Fontes

Às 22:26 de 17/04/2018, Jason White via Groups.Io escreveu:

[...]

.

Jason White

Yes, actually, they’re on my list of possibilities. The in-house models manufactured by HumanWare have been around for a while. I don’t know whether they’re planning an update soon. However, I’ve heard positive comments about HumanWare’s hardware from elsewhere, too.

On Apr 17, 2018, at 17:41, James AUSTIN <james.londonsw15@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

On Apr 17, 2018, at 19:19, Rui Fontes <rui.fontes@tiflotecnia.com> wrote:

HIMS Braille Edge?
I’ve looked at one at a technology exhibition. I haven’t read many reports from users about the quality of their hardware. As I remember, there were issues reported with the HIMS driver recently on this list, but those appear to be in hand if I understand rightly.

Angela Delicata

Ah, that's very bad news.... Smile.

Thank you for   sharing the news with us and let's hope things will get better for this Factory because their displays, like all German brands, are very good.

Ciao.

Il 17/04/2018 22:55, Rui Fontes ha scritto:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

You would imagine if they do have a proven design, one of the other makers might buy the rights, or maybe the problem is the cost to make it and they were just not recouping the costs fast enough. After all, in the main its only the most well off individual who can afford this luxury. Most of the other sales are through government schemes for working blind people.

If you can afford a display like these, at least you can afford to donate more to the nvda project though. Hides behind sofa as a hail of rotting tomatoes comes over.. :-)

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-