Windows 10 shortcuts to items

I'm looking to make simpler some things in 10. I find having to search for stuff long winded and also access via a huge tree of interconnected dialogues is also a bit slow.
For example, how can one get to just a list of drives on the computer, how can one get to the main screen of windows defender to do manual scans.
These are just two of the things I can do in windows 7, very easily, but seem to be very irritatingly awkward on 10.
I have found the sound level of running programs dialogue and put a shortcut to it, and this works, but in many cases in 10, despite classic shell, and being an admin, I get blocked by you are not allowed to do this or that, but when it is accessed via loads of menues links and whatever, it goes there quite happily.
I seldom myself use start menu, preferring to get things either ron the desktop or to put a folder of the shortcuts on the desktop. This saves a lot of messing about in searches and scrolling up and down start menus to find its been listed under some daft letter rather than the logical one.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Joe Hunter <joehunter@...>

On 22/05/2016 10:10, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
[...]

listing your drives. press enter on this computer. and you will find a list of drives at the bottom. Joe

You've answered your own question, largely, in your thread title.  One can set up desktop shortcuts quite easily to virtually any app or application (settings are a different matter).  If you prefer the old Control Panel for most settings it's available and you can put a shortcut to it on your desktop.

I am annoyed that the "Send to -> Desktop (Create Shortcut)" method is no longer supported from the search results, but the extra step of "Open file location" (which opens the folder containing the program/app, with said program/app already selected) then doing the "send to -> desktop (create shortcut)" works just fine.

The "This PC" file explorer window (for lack of a better way of putting it - it's largely the same as the old "My Computer" window) shows your drives and you can do layout tweaking there.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

Well to be honest, sound wise I did through a forum find the reg hacks to get login off shutdown and unlock sounds to actually like appear.
However while yes they have sfx, no they won't be active.
I don't know why this is.
But there is a way to in appevents of the hkey current user change all the sounds with 0s in them to 1s and they will show as events with their sounds and you can play them.
There must be something more to activating these events and I have not found what that is.

[...]

.

Mr. Wong Chi Wai <cwwong.pro@...>

try using autohotkey

Brian Vogel 於 22/5/2016 22:07 寫道:

You've answered your own question, largely, in your thread title.  One can set up desktop shortcuts quite easily to virtually any app or application (settings are a different matter).  If you prefer the old Control Panel for most settings it's available and you can put a shortcut to it on your desktop.

I am annoyed that the "Send to -> Desktop (Create Shortcut)" method is no longer supported from the search results, but the extra step of "Open file location" (which opens the folder containing the program/app, with said program/app already selected) then doing the "send to -> desktop (create shortcut)" works just fine.

The "This PC" file explorer window (for lack of a better way of putting it - it's largely the same as the old "My Computer" window) shows your drives and you can do layout tweaking there.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

Yes but I want them in a list as per a folder, not in some kind of tree view. This seems almost impossible to fix in this so called easy to access system.

[...]

Well, maybe not found it yet then.

The create shortcut..... windows cannot create a shortcut here, would you like it on the desktop was very handy in xp and 7.

It just seems to be far less open than it needs to be. the one strength of windows was that you could use many ways to get to a place if for example one of the interim screens was inaccessible, but that is far less easy to do in 10. It could be of course that 8 was the same, but I never bothered to install that update.

One oddity with nvda seems to be these alerts and dialogues that pop up with no apparent indication for the user, like if you want to move a folder from somewhere directly into the program files and its 32 bit counterpart. It appears from nvda that its just not happening but if you alt tab about in nvda you find this little window that wants you to click a choice as the task was suspended. How come this is not in the foreground?

This is what I mean by not being allowed in some cases, and when, say a folder is not accessible one might expect to hear a sound, like you do when trying to access other users areas etc, but in this case one does not, and having looked at the sound scheme, I cannot for the life of me see any way to make these shy windows make a noise!

[...]

Yes. I had hopedto also make UAC completely off, but even with it at zero it still has some things that are blocked.

I was thinking about the registry hacking myself, but one should not have to resort to that. Much like in Firefox's extended configs, it should be possible with dire warnings to configure the machine to be open and easy to get at everything.