Topics

having multiple webpages opened when using NVDA?

Dan Thompson

Hi All,

What is the command for opening multiple webpages in NVDA.  I know in JAWS, if you press control plus T an edit field for entering another URL comes up.  Then once arriving at a second or third webpage, movement between them is done by pressing control plus tab.  How is this done in NVDA? Thanks very much for any guidance.

Subscribe to the "Hotspot with God" Devotion by sending an email to

Dmt031073@...

With subscribe in the subject line.

Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV / 36

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

John 1:16 ESV

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello Dan,
With NVDA, it is exactly the same as with Jaws.
The process you describe is for your browser and not for a screen reader.
Best
Sylvie

Le 19/04/2018 à 15:58, Dan Thompson a écrit :

Hi All,

What is the command for opening multiple webpages in NVDA.  I know in JAWS, if you press control plus T an edit field for entering another URL comes up.  Then once arriving at a second or third webpage, movement between them is done by pressing control plus tab.  How is this done in NVDA? Thanks very much for any guidance.

Subscribe to the "Hotspot with God" Devotion by sending an email to

Dmt031073@...

With subscribe in the subject line.

Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV / 36

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

John 1:16 ESV

Cohn, Jonathan

None of the commands you Note of the keystrokes you mention in your message are JAWS commands, they are all Windows or Firefox keystrokes and will therefore work as well in any screen reader.

What is the command for opening multiple webpages in NVDA.  I know in JAWS, if you press control plus T an edit field for entering another URL comes up.  Then once arriving at a second or third webpage, movement between them is done by pressing control plus tab.  How is this done in NVDA? Thanks very much for any guidance.

Subscribe to the "Hotspot with God" Devotion by sending an email to

Dmt031073@...

With subscribe in the subject line.

Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV / 36

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

John 1:16 ESV

Gene

It is important to distinguish between screen-reader commands and program and Windows commands.  the commands you gave are program commands, specifically, browser commands.  therefore, they can be used with NVDA.

This isn't always true but in general, commands that perform functions thaqt don't require a screen-reader to provide information or do something extra are program or Windows commands.  the browser commands are you cited are program commands.  any user, sighted or blind would use them.  Read title bar is a screen-reader command.  A sighted person can just look at the title bar, a blind person can't.  So the command does something specific that a blind person needs done.

There are command conflicts at times between screen-readers and programs or Windows, but they aren't common and that's what the screen-reader's bypass command is for.  Any screen-reader that has any sizable number of such conflicts is improperly designed.

Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:58 AM

Hi All,

What is the command for opening multiple webpages in NVDA.  I know in JAWS, if you press control plus T an edit field for entering another URL comes up.  Then once arriving at a second or third webpage, movement between them is done by pressing control plus tab.  How is this done in NVDA? Thanks very much for any guidance.

Subscribe to the "Hotspot with God" Devotion by sending an email to

Dmt031073@...

With subscribe in the subject line.

Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV / 36

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

John 1:16 ESV

Gene

My previous message had one or two typographical errors and one or two errors of words that should have been removed.  I've made the corrections and here is the corrected message.  the content is the same, but the typing and unnecessary word errors have been removed.

It is important to distinguish between screen-reader commands and program and Windows commands.  the commands you gave are program commands, specifically, browser commands.  therefore, they can be used with NVDA.

This isn't always true but in general, commands that perform functions that don't require a screen-reader to provide information or do something extra are program or Windows commands.  the browser commands you cited are program commands.  any user, sighted or blind would use them.  Read title bar is a screen-reader command.  A sighted person can just look at the title bar, a blind person can't.  So the command does something specific that a blind person needs done.

Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:58 AM

Hi All,

What is the command for opening multiple webpages in NVDA.  I know in JAWS, if you press control plus T an edit field for entering another URL comes up.  Then once arriving at a second or third webpage, movement between them is done by pressing control plus tab.  How is this done in NVDA? Thanks very much for any guidance.

Subscribe to the "Hotspot with God" Devotion by sending an email to

Dmt031073@...

With subscribe in the subject line.

Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV / 36

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

John 1:16 ESV

Dan Thompson

Ah, Thanks very much.  I truly appreciate your help.

[...]

Thanks for your help.  I actually haven’t used them before yesterday. I do feel a little crazy for not ever using thes commands.  But now I will.

God bless

Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:58 AM

Hi All,

What is the command for opening multiple webpages in NVDA.  I know in JAWS, if you press control plus T an edit field for entering another URL comes up.  Then once arriving at a second or third webpage, movement between them is done by pressing control plus tab.  How is this done in NVDA? Thanks very much for any guidance.

Subscribe to the "Hotspot with God" Devotion by sending an email to

Dmt031073@...

With subscribe in the subject line.

Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV / 36

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

John 1:16 ESV

A big shout out to Gene, Jonathan, & Sylvie for all reinforcing the importance of knowing the difference between application program or Windows OS keyboard shortcuts and screen reader shortcuts.

When shortcuts "are your life" (and even when they aren't) it's very easy to lose track of which shortcuts are processed by what layer - screen reader, program, or OS - but knowing which it is can really make your life much easier.  The CTRL+T for "open new tab" command is universal, or very nearly so [as I've not hit an exception yet], within all web browsers.

A huge number of the keyboard shortcuts that any of use use are Windows OS keyboard shortcuts.  Microsoft now has a great page documenting same which allows you to choose which version of Windows you wish to get them for via a dropdown box near the very top of the page:  Windows Keyboard Shortcuts.   While the old tried and true ones from all prior versions of Windows remain unchanged, there are a number of new ones, mostly using WinKey plus something, but a few others as well, that are new to Windows 10.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

            Niels Bohr

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Surely this is a browser function not a screenreader one. Tabbed browsing is what I tend to use.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

What is the command for opening multiple webpages in NVDA. I know in JAWS,
if you press control plus T an edit field for entering another URL comes up.
Then once arriving at a second or third webpage, movement between them is
done by pressing control plus tab. How is this done in NVDA? Thanks very
much for any guidance.

Subscribe to the "Hotspot with God" Devotion by sending an email to

<mailto:Dmt031073@...> Dmt031073@...

With subscribe in the subject line.

<https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians+2%3A8-9&version=ESV>
Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV / 36

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own
doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may
boast.

<https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+1%3A16&version=ESV> John
1:16 ESV

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Dan,

To close each tab, use control W.

Rosemarie

What is the command for opening multiple webpages in NVDA.  I know in JAWS, if you press control plus T an edit field for entering another URL comes up.  Then once arriving at a second or third webpage, movement between them is done by pressing control plus tab.  How is this done in NVDA? Thanks very much for any guidance.

Subscribe to the "Hotspot with God" Devotion by sending an email to

Dmt031073@...

With subscribe in the subject line.

Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV / 36

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

John 1:16 ESV

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

These are not screen-reader commands. They would work for sighted people just as well. I don’t know if they are exactly universal to all browsers, but I suspect, probably.

So you can do exactly the same thing that you are used to. I use ctrl-f4 to close tabs when I am done with them.