Topics

having multiple webpages opened when using NVDA?

Dan Thompson

Hi All,

What is the command for opening multiple webpages in NVDA.  I know in JAWS, if you press control plus T an edit field for entering another URL comes up.  Then once arriving at a second or third webpage, movement between them is done by pressing control plus tab.  How is this done in NVDA? Thanks very much for any guidance.

Subscribe to the "Hotspot with God" Devotion by sending an email to

Dmt031073@...

With subscribe in the subject line.

Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV / 36 

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

John 1:16 ESV

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello Dan,
With NVDA, it is exactly the same as with Jaws.
The process you describe is for your browser and not for a screen reader.
Best
Sylvie

Le 19/04/2018 à 15:58, Dan Thompson a écrit :

Hi All,

What is the command for opening multiple webpages in NVDA.  I know in JAWS, if you press control plus T an edit field for entering another URL comes up.  Then once arriving at a second or third webpage, movement between them is done by pressing control plus tab.  How is this done in NVDA? Thanks very much for any guidance.

Dmt031073@...

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Cohn, Jonathan

None of the commands you Note of the keystrokes you mention in your message are JAWS commands, they are all Windows or Firefox keystrokes and will therefore work as well in any screen reader.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dan Thompson
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:59 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] having multiple webpages opened when using NVDA?

Hi All,

Dmt031073@...

Gene

It is important to distinguish between screen-reader commands and program and Windows commands.  the commands you gave are program commands, specifically, browser commands.  therefore, they can be used with NVDA.

This isn't always true but in general, commands that perform functions thaqt don't require a screen-reader to provide information or do something extra are program or Windows commands.  the browser commands are you cited are program commands.  any user, sighted or blind would use them.  Read title bar is a screen-reader command.  A sighted person can just look at the title bar, a blind person can't.  So the command does something specific that a blind person needs done.

There are command conflicts at times between screen-readers and programs or Windows, but they aren't common and that's what the screen-reader's bypass command is for.  Any screen-reader that has any sizable number of such conflicts is improperly designed.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:58 AM

Hi All,

Dmt031073@...

Gene

My previous message had one or two typographical errors and one or two errors of words that should have been removed.  I've made the corrections and here is the corrected message.  the content is the same, but the typing and unnecessary word errors have been removed.

It is important to distinguish between screen-reader commands and program and Windows commands.  the commands you gave are program commands, specifically, browser commands.  therefore, they can be used with NVDA.

This isn't always true but in general, commands that perform functions that don't require a screen-reader to provide information or do something extra are program or Windows commands.  the browser commands you cited are program commands.  any user, sighted or blind would use them.  Read title bar is a screen-reader command.  A sighted person can just look at the title bar, a blind person can't.  So the command does something specific that a blind person needs done.

There are command conflicts at times between screen-readers and programs or Windows, but they aren't common and that's what the screen-reader's bypass command is for.  Any screen-reader that has any sizable number of such conflicts is improperly designed.

Gene

Hi All,

Dmt031073@...

Dan Thompson

Ah, Thanks very much.  I truly appreciate your help.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cohn, Jonathan
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] having multiple webpages opened when using NVDA?

None of the commands you Note of the keystrokes you mention in your message are JAWS commands, they are all Windows or Firefox keystrokes and will therefore work as well in any screen reader.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dan Thompson

Hi All,

Dmt031073@...

Dan Thompson

Thanks for your help.  I actually haven’t used them before yesterday. I do feel a little crazy for not ever using thes commands.  But now I will.

God bless

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:42 AM

My previous message had one or two typographical errors and one or two errors of words that should have been removed.  I've made the corrections and here is the corrected message.  the content is the same, but the typing and unnecessary word errors have been removed.

This isn't always true but in general, commands that perform functions that don't require a screen-reader to provide information or do something extra are program or Windows commands.  the browser commands you cited are program commands.  any user, sighted or blind would use them.  Read title bar is a screen-reader command.  A sighted person can just look at the title bar, a blind person can't.  So the command does something specific that a blind person needs done.

Gene

Hi All,

Dmt031073@...

A big shout out to Gene, Jonathan, & Sylvie for all reinforcing the importance of knowing the difference between application program or Windows OS keyboard shortcuts and screen reader shortcuts.

When shortcuts "are your life" (and even when they aren't) it's very easy to lose track of which shortcuts are processed by what layer - screen reader, program, or OS - but knowing which it is can really make your life much easier.  The CTRL+T for "open new tab" command is universal, or very nearly so [as I've not hit an exception yet], within all web browsers.

A huge number of the keyboard shortcuts that any of use use are Windows OS keyboard shortcuts.  Microsoft now has a great page documenting same which allows you to choose which version of Windows you wish to get them for via a dropdown box near the very top of the page:  Windows Keyboard Shortcuts.   While the old tried and true ones from all prior versions of Windows remain unchanged, there are a number of new ones, mostly using WinKey plus something, but a few others as well, that are new to Windows 10.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

Niels Bohr

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Surely this is a browser function not a screenreader one. Tabbed browsing is what I tend to use.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 2:58 PM

Hi All,

What is the command for opening multiple webpages in NVDA. I know in JAWS,
if you press control plus T an edit field for entering another URL comes up.
Then once arriving at a second or third webpage, movement between them is
done by pressing control plus tab. How is this done in NVDA? Thanks very
much for any guidance.

<mailto:Dmt031073@...> Dmt031073@...

<https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians+2%3A8-9&version=ESV>

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own
doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may
boast.

<https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+1%3A16&version=ESV> John
1:16 ESV

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Dan,

To close each tab, use control W.

Rosemarie

Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 6:59 AM

Hi All,

Dmt031073@...

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

These are not screen-reader commands. They would work for sighted people just as well. I don’t know if they are exactly universal to all browsers, but I suspect, probably.

So you can do exactly the same thing that you are used to. I use ctrl-f4 to close tabs when I am done with them.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: April 19, 2018 1:40 PM

Hi, Dan,

To close each tab, use control W.

Rosemarie

Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 6:59 AM

Hi All,

Dmt031073@...

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Absolutely, this is something everyone should know about.

Of course, a good indicator that a command is not a screen-reader command is: does it start with the nVDA modifier key (insert usually, or caps lock if laptop settings operate similar to jAWS, which I’ve never looked into). But of course, this isn’t universal; add-ons or scripts often use other key combinations.

But it’s good to kno these things, because you won’t always have access to your screen-reader, and you might still want to perform certain tasks, like run something, shut down the system, or whatever. Also of course, if you have ever been in the position of trying to explain to a sighted person how to do something and you’re not sure what they ought to be doing with their mouse, you can give them the keyboard commands. You might be surprised at how many sighted people don’t actaully know how many functions you can perform with the keyboard alone, and how delighted they are when they learn them.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: April 19, 2018 11:24 AM

A big shout out to Gene, Jonathan, & Sylvie for all reinforcing the importance of knowing the difference between application program or Windows OS keyboard shortcuts and screen reader shortcuts.

When shortcuts "are your life" (and even when they aren't) it's very easy to lose track of which shortcuts are processed by what layer - screen reader, program, or OS - but knowing which it is can really make your life much easier.  The CTRL+T for "open new tab" command is universal, or very nearly so [as I've not hit an exception yet], within all web browsers.

A huge number of the keyboard shortcuts that any of use use are Windows OS keyboard shortcuts.  Microsoft now has a great page documenting same which allows you to choose which version of Windows you wish to get them for via a dropdown box near the very top of the page:  Windows Keyboard Shortcuts.   While the old tried and true ones from all prior versions of Windows remain unchanged, there are a number of new ones, mostly using WinKey plus something, but a few others as well, that are new to Windows 10.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

Niels Bohr

Ervin, Glenn

I think that many people don’t know that everything can be done with a keyboard in Windows, made as such by Microsoft.

There are some sighted folk who still don’t use the mouse, but they are a small minority, and then they are the old-timers left over from pre-mouse times.

The reason there are Jaws and NVDA specific commands are to get things done with the needed screenreader feedback.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cohn, Jonathan
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:13 AM

Hi All,

Dmt031073@...

Ervin, Glenn

I would venture to say that if it involves the insert key, it is a screenreader command.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 10:24 AM

--

Niels Bohr

hi.
its a command of firefox and maybe other web browsers to open multiple
web pages in one window, (i mean tab browsing).
its not a command of any screen reader, but browsers support tab
browsing and you can select to open new pages in a new tab or new
windo.

On 4/20/18, Ervin, Glenn <glenn.ervin@...> wrote:
I would venture to say that if it involves the insert key, it is a
screenreader command.
Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian
Vogel
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 10:24 AM

A big shout out to Gene, Jonathan, & Sylvie for all reinforcing the
importance of knowing the difference between application program or Windows
OS keyboard shortcuts and screen reader shortcuts.

When shortcuts "are your life" (and even when they aren't) it's very easy to
lose track of which shortcuts are processed by what layer - screen reader,
program, or OS - but knowing which it is can really make your life much
easier. The CTRL+T for "open new tab" command is universal, or very nearly
so [as I've not hit an exception yet], within all web browsers.

A huge number of the keyboard shortcuts that any of use use are Windows OS
keyboard shortcuts. Microsoft now has a great page documenting same which
allows you to choose which version of Windows you wish to get them for via a
dropdown box near the very top of the page: Windows Keyboard
Shortcuts<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts>.
While the old tried and true ones from all prior versions of Windows
remain unchanged, there are a number of new ones, mostly using WinKey plus
something, but a few others as well, that are new to Windows 10.
--
Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299 (dot level on
request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the
opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

~ Niels Bohr

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali