Drag and Drop with NVDA

Hello All,

           This post has some broad elements asking about drag and drop operations in NVDA plus a couple of specifics to the situation.  I am just not sure where to look in available documentation.

            Someone on the Blindtech group asked this morning about reordering the columns in the inbox (or other folder) display on Thunderbird.  The only way that I can find to do this in their own documentation and through my own experimentation/exploration is via drag and drop.

            In NVDA, if I am not using mouse tracking I have yet to find a way to get focus thrown to any of the inbox column headings and I have to believe there is a way to do this.  If someone could let me know what that is I'd appreciate it.

            Once I have focus on a given column heading the way to move it via mouse is drag and drop, so I'd imagine I initiate a drag and drop via Left Mouse Button Lock, INS+NumPad Divide for desktop or CAPS Lock+CTRL+Left Square Bracket for laptop.  What I don't know is, once one has the column ready to drag, how does one move the actual mouse pointer to drag it.  My gut tells me it's whichever one prefers:  the hard arrow keys or the Num Pad arrow keys.  I have not, however, found this documented.

             I also have to believe that the drop action is either done with a Left Mouse Button Click sequence or else a repetition of the Left Mouse Button Lock if it is a toggle that releases when done again.

             Any and all assistance is appreciated.  The instances where drag and drop appears to be the only option are quite rare, but I'd like to know how it is done for those rare occasions where it's needed.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

Arianna Sepulveda

Brian, having never used this program for, and not being very familiar with drag-and-drop operations overall, let alone with NVDA, i'm only going to attempt to answer the first part of your question. I would think that you should be able to move to each column header using NVDA's Object Navigation. Then you would route the mouses focus to that object. I can't remember the command to do this, but I'm pretty sure there is one. If that fails, try using the text review commands, and if on a laptop, hitting shift+insert+m when you get to the column header that you want. This should route the mouse's focus to the text that you're on when using the text review commands. Sorry I can't be of more help. I hope this will give you a place with which to start experimenting.

Thanks,
Ari

On May 23, 2016, at 11:14 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

[...]

mk360

Hi,

I route mouse to object cursor with insert / (numpad slash) so if I need to drag some things I place the object navigation to the object that I need to move, press insert /, next shift / to lock the left mouse clic, next I move the object navigation cursor to the place where I need to move the object I selected, move again the mouse to the object cursor with insert /, and unlock the left mouse clic with shift /. If all worked correctly the objec will be moved to the new location, it depends if the object can be moved with the mouse obviously.

I don't know if my english can be sufficient to explain this... if it can't be understood I can try again :D

Regards,
mk.

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Arianna Sepulveda <englishrider91@...> wrote:
[...]

Arianna & mk,

          Thanks to you both.  I'll play a little more but I'm still stuck, and part of that may be because I see and don't have the mental mapping for "where to drop" as it should be.  I can't figure out, if all one is trying to do is move a column to the left of where it is, you know how you're at the correct "to the left" position for the drop.  When you can literally see this the whole "drag and drop" operation makes instant sense, but that's because it's almost entirely driven by being able to see it.

I'll have to play more to see what I can come up with.  If I can get focus on the actual column headers under Thunderbird that will be a major achievement!

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

mk360

Go to the messages list, move object cursor with NVDA numpad 4 (control NVDA left arrow in laptops) to the first object, that is "list" (lista in spanish for me) move the object navigation down with NVDA numpad 2 (NVDA control down arrow in laptops) and you will be placed in the colums with object cursor. Now, if you press NVDA / the mouse will be placed in the columns and in theory you will can see the mouse pointer in the headers (I can't confirm this).

El 23/05/2016 a las 18:10, Brian Vogel escribió:

Arianna & mk,

          Thanks to you both.  I'll play a little more but I'm still stuck, and part of that may be because I see and don't have the mental mapping for "where to drop" as it should be.  I can't figure out, if all one is trying to do is move a column to the left of where it is, you know how you're at the correct "to the left" position for the drop.  When you can literally see this the whole "drag and drop" operation makes instant sense, but that's because it's almost entirely driven by being able to see it.

I'll have to play more to see what I can come up with.  If I can get focus on the actual column headers under Thunderbird that will be a major achievement!

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

mk,

         When I get to the first message in the Inbox NVDA announces "Table," followed by the subject of the first subject.  If I hit NVDA+NumPad 4 NVDA announces "No Previous."  If I follow that with NVDA+Numpad 2 it says, "No Object Inside."

          I've tried all of the Object Navigation Commands when sitting on that first message in the inbox and none seems to move me to anywhere near to the column headings for the respective fields shown beneath them in the inbox, so I'm still stymied.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

mohammad suliman

hi Brian,
to get to the column headers while the focus is on a message title in the tree view:
* NVDA + numpad 8, you will hear NVDA announce "tree view"
* then NVDA + numpad2, now "list" will be announced
* again NVDA + numpad2, now navigator object will be the first column header.
* now,  you can use NVDA + numpad4 / numpad6 to move to previous / next column header
from here, I don't know how to drag and drop the columns, I tried, but it didn't work.
hope that helps,
Mohammad

On 5/24/2016 6:13 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

mk,

         When I get to the first message in the Inbox NVDA announces "Table," followed by the subject of the first subject.  If I hit NVDA+NumPad 4 NVDA announces "No Previous."  If I follow that with NVDA+Numpad 2 it says, "No Object Inside."

          I've tried all of the Object Navigation Commands when sitting on that first message in the inbox and none seems to move me to anywhere near to the column headings for the respective fields shown beneath them in the inbox, so I'm still stymied.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

Kakarla Nageswaraiah

On 5/24/16, mohammad suliman <mohmad.s93@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

*/Brian/*
--

*Never underestimate the difficulty of changing false beliefs by facts. *
**/ ~ Henry Rosovsky/

--
కాకర్ల నాగేశ్వరయ్య

K. Nageswaraiah

Ejaz Shah

Try unchecking NVDA's reporting of tables. the first time I press NVDA + Numpad 4 NVDA says "Select Columns to Display button". After that the column headers come.

On 5/24/2016 8:13 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

mk,

         When I get to the first message in the Inbox NVDA announces "Table," followed by the subject of the first subject.  If I hit NVDA+NumPad 4 NVDA announces "No Previous."  If I follow that with NVDA+Numpad 2 it says, "No Object Inside."

          I've tried all of the Object Navigation Commands when sitting on that first message in the inbox and none seems to move me to anywhere near to the column headings for the respective fields shown beneath them in the inbox, so I'm still stymied.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

mk360

Hmmmm... What version of Thunderbird?

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 11:13 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

mk,

         When I get to the first message in the Inbox NVDA announces "Table," followed by the subject of the first subject.  If I hit NVDA+NumPad 4 NVDA announces "No Previous."  If I follow that with NVDA+Numpad 2 it says, "No Object Inside."

          I've tried all of the Object Navigation Commands when sitting on that first message in the inbox and none seems to move me to anywhere near to the column headings for the respective fields shown beneath them in the inbox, so I'm still stymied.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

To All:  Thanks for your replies.  I haven't had time to test anything out yet this morning.

To mk360:  Whatever the latest version of Thunderbird is.  I just downloaded and installed it two days ago.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky