Hi all, as the subject says I remember hearing that firefox can skip links and all the crap and just read the text of say a news story. can someone tell me how to do this? thanks in advance.

bob jutzi <jutzi1@...>

If it's the Reader Mode you want, it's under the View menu.

On 4/20/2018 5:01 PM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all, as the subject says I remember hearing that firefox can skip links and all the crap and just read the text of say a news story. can someone tell me how to do this? thanks in advance.

Ervin, Glenn

How do we get to reader mode for other browsers?

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of bob jutzi
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2018 4:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] How to get firefox to read just text on a website?

If it's the Reader Mode you want, it's under the View menu.

On 4/20/2018 5:01 PM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all, as the subject says I remember hearing that firefox can skip
links and all the crap and just read the text of say a news story. can
someone tell me how to do this? thanks in advance.

John Isige

In addition to using the view menu, you can also hit ctrl-alt-r once the
page is loaded. It doesn't work for everything, but it's pretty cool
when it works.

As for the question somebody else asked about getting it on other
browsers, I think Safari for mac has something like it, but I forget how
it works. You can get it in Chrome but I think you have to tinker with
the configuration.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-enable-reader-mode-in-chrome/

There are also a couple of Chrome extensions that seem to do it, I
haven't messed with any of this because I hardly use Chrome. Apparently
it's built into Edge, with a keyboard shortcut to boot.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/56266/microsoft-edge-how-to-use-reading-mode/

On 4/20/2018 16:01, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all,   as the subject says I remember hearing that firefox can skip
links and all the crap and just read the text of say a news story.
can someone tell me how to do this? thanks in advance.

James AUSTIN

You can also press control alt are. This is the shortcut for the reader view. Please Bear in mind that it does not always work I do not know what criteria have to be met for reader view to work but most of the time it will.

On 20 Apr 2018, at 22:06, bob jutzi <jutzi1@...> wrote:

If it's the Reader Mode you want, it's under the View menu.

On 4/20/2018 5:01 PM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all, as the subject says I remember hearing that firefox can skip links and all the crap and just read the text of say a news story. can someone tell me how to do this? thanks in advance.

Kevin Cussick

Hi, yes it worked well for me but I had to do a say all but it did land me right on the text how to get out of it? pressing the keys again?

On 20/04/2018 22:52, James AUSTIN wrote:
You can also press control alt are. This is the shortcut for the reader view. Please Bear in mind that it does not always work I do not know what criteria have to be met for reader view to work but most of the time it will.
On 20 Apr 2018, at 22:06, bob jutzi <jutzi1@...> wrote:

If it's the Reader Mode you want, it's under the View menu.

On 4/20/2018 5:01 PM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all, as the subject says I remember hearing that firefox can skip links and all the crap and just read the text of say a news story. can someone tell me how to do this? thanks in advance.

John Isige

Either close the page you're on, or use the close button at the bottom
of the page. Pretty sure ctrl-alt-r is a toggle too.

On 4/20/2018 17:17, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi, yes it worked well for me but I had to do a say all but it did
land me right on the text how to get out of it?   pressing the keys
again?

On 20/04/2018 22:52, James AUSTIN wrote:
You can also press control alt  are. This is the shortcut for the
reader view.  Please Bear in mind that it does not  always work I do
not know what criteria have to be met for reader view to work but
most of the time it will.
On 20 Apr 2018, at 22:06, bob jutzi <jutzi1@...> wrote:

If it's the Reader Mode you want, it's under the View menu.

On 4/20/2018 5:01 PM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all,   as the subject says I remember hearing that firefox can
skip links and all the crap and just read the text of say a news
story.   can someone tell me how to do this? thanks in advance.

bob jutzi <jutzi1@...>

Not sure about IE but Edge, Alt-D and tab to a button labeled Enter Reading View. Mainly available on sites featuring articles.

How do we get to reader mode for other browsers?
If it's the Reader Mode you want, it's under the View menu.
On 4/20/2018 5:01 PM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all, as the subject says I remember hearing that firefox can skip
links and all the crap and just read the text of say a news story. can
someone tell me how to do this? thanks in advance.

David Moore

Hi!

Chrome also has an add on call Just Read.

It does the same thing as the reading mode in Edge, where all the clutter is gone, and leaves just the text on the page!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Not sure about IE but Edge, Alt-D and tab to a button labeled Enter

Reading View.  Mainly available on sites featuring articles.

On 4/20/2018 5:08 PM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:

> How do we get to reader mode for other browsers?

Is this an add-on needing to be installed? I'm only aware of the below command to add to the shortcut properties to enable Reading View.

--enable-dom-distiller

On 4/20/2018 8:32 PM, David Moore wrote:
Hi!
Chrome also has an add on call Just Read.
It does the same thing as the reading mode in Edge, where all the clutter is gone, and leaves just the text on the page!
David Moore
Not sure about IE but Edge, Alt-D and tab to a button labeled Enter
Reading View. Mainly available on sites featuring articles.
On 4/20/2018 5:08 PM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:

> How do we get to reader mode for other browsers?

Hi Bob!

Yes, it is an extension that you can easily install.

Just go to the extensions page, and type Just Read in the search edit, and it will be the first choice for accessibility extensions for Chrome.

It works very well.

From the web page, you can press applications or Shift+F10, and you can arrow to a choice to use Just Read on that page.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Is this an add-on needing to be installed?  I'm only aware of the below

command to add to the shortcut properties to enable Reading View.

--enable-dom-distiller

On 4/20/2018 8:32 PM, David Moore wrote:

> Hi!

> Chrome also has an add on call Just Read.

> It does the same thing as the reading mode in Edge, where all the

> clutter is gone, and leaves just the text on the page!

> David Moore

> Windows 10

bob jutzi <jutzi1@...>

I tried that but got no results.
I went to Extentions under More Tools, clicked Search and entered Just Read.

On 4/20/2018 8:43 PM, David Moore wrote:
Hi Bob!
Yes, it is an extension that you can easily install.
Just go to the extensions page, and type Just Read in the search edit, and it will be the first choice for accessibility extensions for Chrome.
It works very well.
From the web page, you can press applications or Shift+F10, and you can arrow to a choice to use Just Read on that page.
David Moore
Is this an add-on needing to be installed? I'm only aware of the below
command to add to the shortcut properties to enable Reading View.
--enable-dom-distiller
On 4/20/2018 8:32 PM, David Moore wrote:

> Hi!

> Chrome also has an add on call Just Read.

> It does the same thing as the reading mode in Edge, where all the

> clutter is gone, and leaves just the text on the page!

> David Moore

> Windows 10

Actually, I did a Google, found the following link, and clicked Add to Chrome so I've got it.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/just-read/dgmanlpmmkibanfdgjocnabmcaclkmod?hl=en

On 4/20/2018 8:43 PM, David Moore wrote:
Hi Bob!
Yes, it is an extension that you can easily install.
Just go to the extensions page, and type Just Read in the search edit, and it will be the first choice for accessibility extensions for Chrome.
It works very well.
From the web page, you can press applications or Shift+F10, and you can arrow to a choice to use Just Read on that page.
David Moore
Is this an add-on needing to be installed? I'm only aware of the below
command to add to the shortcut properties to enable Reading View.
--enable-dom-distiller
On 4/20/2018 8:32 PM, David Moore wrote:

> Hi!

> Chrome also has an add on call Just Read.

> It does the same thing as the reading mode in Edge, where all the

> clutter is gone, and leaves just the text on the page!

> David Moore

> Windows 10

Annette Moore

the shortcut is alt+control+r.

On 4/20/2018 4:06 PM, bob jutzi wrote:
If it's the Reader Mode you want, it's under the View menu.

On 4/20/2018 5:01 PM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all,   as the subject says I remember hearing that firefox can skip links and all the crap and just read the text of say a news story.   can someone tell me how to do this? thanks in advance.

Also, you can enter reader view in Firefox without installing any extensions by pressing F9 on the page of the article you want to read. I'm using Firefox Nightly, but I'm pretty sure this works on the stable version as well.

On 4/20/2018 8:54 PM, Annette Moore wrote:
the shortcut is alt+control+r.

On 4/20/2018 4:06 PM, bob jutzi wrote:
If it's the Reader Mode you want, it's under the View menu.

On 4/20/2018 5:01 PM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all,   as the subject says I remember hearing that firefox can skip links and all the crap and just read the text of say a news story.   can someone tell me how to do this? thanks in advance.

Brian's Mail list account

Can any of these modes be used by cut and paste? I often find myself needing to grab text from a web page to paste into a ascript for the sighted readers at our Talking newspaper to read.
At present the only way seems to be to grab it all then fiddle about deleting the like this more here and sundry links out and reformatting the result. If the ability to read without the clutter exists, it would lessen the workload and annoyance factor considerably.
For the record this has become important recently due to the tendency that newsletter production has gone down the lazy mans rout of just saying the headline and click here, which I hate with a passion and so do most, but that seems to be the way the stuff is going.
Brian
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

If it's the Reader Mode you want, it's under the View menu.

On 4/20/2018 5:01 PM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all, as the subject says I remember hearing that firefox can skip
links and all the crap and just read the text of say a news story. can
someone tell me how to do this? thanks in advance.

hi.
i tested control alt r one time and it did not work for me.
now, i went to the view menu and read mode was not there.
whats the solution for me that only read the content of web pages?

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Gene

You have to be on a page with an article or something like it.  It won't be available on pages like home pages with a lot of links and no extended content.

Gene

<bglists@...> wrote:
> Can any of these modes be used by cut and paste? I often find myself needing
>
> to grab text from a web page to paste into a ascript for the sighted readers
>
> at our Talking newspaper to read.
>  At present the only way seems to be to grab it all then fiddle about
> deleting the  like this more here and sundry links out and reformatting the
>
> result. If the  ability to read without the clutter exists, it would lessen
>
> the workload and annoyance factor considerably.
>  For the record this has become important recently due to the  tendency that
>
> newsletter production has gone down the lazy mans rout of just saying the
> headline and click here, which I hate with a passion and so do most, but
> that seems to be the way the  stuff is going.
>  Brian
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

can you please send me one link for article to test?
for example: when i use in gmail, it does not work for me!

On 4/21/18, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

That isn't an article.  Use a page that contains an article such as a newspaper or magazine article.  The feature analyzes pages and determines if they are appropriate.  It is not available if the page is not formatted in a way that the feature will work properly.  It is intended for reading articles and removing extraneous material, not for reading pages with a lot of links and short content that isn't links.