Topics

Looking for a Synthesizer


Ibrahim Ajayi
 

Hi good people:
I've sent this question before, but I didn't give a clear
understanding of the issue.
I did say that I use an old synthesizer, known as viavoice outloud, to
access NVDA. I did say then that the synthesizer is too slow in
responding to commands.
But, actually, I only have problems with the synthesizer when I am on
the internet. It is very slow on the internet, irrespective of the
browser I use. I use internet explorer chrome and firefox.
Sometimes when I am browsing, the synthesizer just stops work all
together, and I have to shut down the computer. Sometimes when I am
trying to spell out a word I've just typed on an Email, using the
right arrow key, the screen reader shuts down.
I've done a windows update several times, scanned my computer with
microsoft security essentials, and have also used CCleaner, but I am
still having the same problem.
Please can anyone think of a solution.
I can't use ESpeak because I just don't understand the speech. The
microsoft speech is one I don't like, because it is too low. I like
viavoice outloud, because it sounds almost as good as eloquence.
Unfortunately I don't have money to buy the license for eloquence.
Can anyone suggest a free synthesizer. I tried out the vocalizer, but
it was asking for a license key.
I hope this mail is not too long, and I hope I am well understood.
Hope to read a response.
Thanks and best regards.
From Ibrahim.


Quentin Christensen
 

Hi Ibrahim,

Vocaliser, like Eloquence, is a paid synthesizer, so yes, you would need a licence for that (they both I think, allow you to download them and try them for an initial trial period before purchasing).  

When you say the Microsoft Speech is too "low" - do you mean volume low, or did you mean "slow"?  If you are using Windows OneCore voices on Windows 10 and find they are too slow, you can speed them up by going to the "Speech settings" in windows 10 (search for it from the start menu is the easiest way, or open settings, then time and language, then speech) and there is a "speed" slider in there.  Set that as fast as you can and the rate slider in NVDA's voice options and you should find it's fairly fast.

If you would like to make NVDA louder than other things, you can turn on "Audio ducking" from NVDA's synthesizer dialog.  If you set it to always duck, then it permanently lowers the volume of everything else while NVDA is running (so background sounds don't keep changing volume).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 10:44 AM, Ibrahim Ajayi <kobisko@...> wrote:
Hi good people:
I've sent this question before, but I didn't give a clear
understanding of the issue.
I did say that I use an old synthesizer, known as viavoice outloud, to
access NVDA.  I did say then that the synthesizer is too slow in
responding to commands.
But, actually, I only have problems with the synthesizer when I am on
the internet.  It is very slow on the internet, irrespective of the
browser I use.  I use internet explorer chrome and firefox.
Sometimes when I am browsing, the synthesizer just stops work all
together, and I have to shut down the computer.  Sometimes when I am
trying to spell out a word I've just typed on an Email, using the
right arrow key, the screen reader shuts down.
I've done a windows update several times, scanned my computer with
microsoft security essentials, and have also used CCleaner, but I am
still having the same problem.
Please can anyone think of a solution.
I can't use ESpeak because I just don't understand the speech.  The
microsoft speech is one I don't like, because it is too low.  I like
viavoice outloud, because it sounds almost as good as eloquence.
Unfortunately I don't have money to buy the license for eloquence.
Can anyone suggest a free synthesizer.  I tried out the vocalizer, but
it was asking for a license key.
I hope this mail is not too long, and I hope I am well understood.
Hope to read a response.
Thanks and best  regards.
From Ibrahim.






--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


Gene
 

Have you tried using browsers with other synthesizers?  If not, the first thing to do is to be sure the problem only happens with Via Voice.  After that, what version of Windows are you using and are you using typical browsers, Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Firefox? 
 
If the problem only occurs with browsers, I'm not sure I have any solutions.  You said the Microsoft voices are too low.  the work around might be to find a way to increase the volume and use Via Voice for other things if you wish and the Microsoft voices on the Internet.  At some point, you might be able to by Eloquence but you may want to test a demo of the SAPI 5 version of Eloquence to see if you have the same problems with browsers as you do with Via Voice.  Then you would know if you have that alternative available if you can take advantage of it at some point.  It wouldn't be very pleasant to believe you do and then find out you don't at some point when you might have been looking forward to it. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2018 7:44 PM
Subject: [nvda] Looking for a Synthesizer

Hi good people:
I've sent this question before, but I didn't give a clear
understanding of the issue.
I did say that I use an old synthesizer, known as viavoice outloud, to
access NVDA.  I did say then that the synthesizer is too slow in
responding to commands.
But, actually, I only have problems with the synthesizer when I am on
the internet.  It is very slow on the internet, irrespective of the
browser I use.  I use internet explorer chrome and firefox.
Sometimes when I am browsing, the synthesizer just stops work all
together, and I have to shut down the computer.  Sometimes when I am
trying to spell out a word I've just typed on an Email, using the
right arrow key, the screen reader shuts down.
I've done a windows update several times, scanned my computer with
microsoft security essentials, and have also used CCleaner, but I am
still having the same problem.
Please can anyone think of a solution.
I can't use ESpeak because I just don't understand the speech.  The
microsoft speech is one I don't like, because it is too low.  I like
viavoice outloud, because it sounds almost as good as eloquence.
Unfortunately I don't have money to buy the license for eloquence.
Can anyone suggest a free synthesizer.  I tried out the vocalizer, but
it was asking for a license key.
I hope this mail is not too long, and I hope I am well understood.
Hope to read a response.
Thanks and best  regards.
From Ibrahim.



Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Via Voice out loud is now very old. its Sappi 4 and always had issues in nvda when arrowing through, sometimes two chars can be heard sometimes nothing at all.
I really feel that for everyday use, you need something more modern, at least espeak or sappi 5 or one of the newer built in voices in Windows. Of course if your machine is slow, a lot of these will lag.
You may need to buy Eloquence, as Via Voice is an eloquence clone of a sort, but I think this is the problem in your case. I'm sure others will be along to make suggestions, but as always, the speech synth you are used to is always going to sound better than others, and it may be you have to live with this till you get used to a new one.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ibrahim Ajayi" <kobisko@gmail.com>
Cc: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 1:44 AM
Subject: [nvda] Looking for a Synthesizer


Hi good people:
I've sent this question before, but I didn't give a clear
understanding of the issue.
I did say that I use an old synthesizer, known as viavoice outloud, to
access NVDA. I did say then that the synthesizer is too slow in
responding to commands.
But, actually, I only have problems with the synthesizer when I am on
the internet. It is very slow on the internet, irrespective of the
browser I use. I use internet explorer chrome and firefox.
Sometimes when I am browsing, the synthesizer just stops work all
together, and I have to shut down the computer. Sometimes when I am
trying to spell out a word I've just typed on an Email, using the
right arrow key, the screen reader shuts down.
I've done a windows update several times, scanned my computer with
microsoft security essentials, and have also used CCleaner, but I am
still having the same problem.
Please can anyone think of a solution.
I can't use ESpeak because I just don't understand the speech. The
microsoft speech is one I don't like, because it is too low. I like
viavoice outloud, because it sounds almost as good as eloquence.
Unfortunately I don't have money to buy the license for eloquence.
Can anyone suggest a free synthesizer. I tried out the vocalizer, but
it was asking for a license key.
I hope this mail is not too long, and I hope I am well understood.
Hope to read a response.
Thanks and best regards.
From Ibrahim.


Rui Fontes
 

You can test Eloquence in SAPI5 through this link:
http://tiflotecnia.net/eloquence_sapi5_tiflo.exe

Best regards,

Rui Fontes
Tiflotecnia, Lda.


Às 01:44 de 24/04/2018, Ibrahim Ajayi escreveu:

Hi good people:
I've sent this question before, but I didn't give a clear
understanding of the issue.
I did say that I use an old synthesizer, known as viavoice outloud, to
access NVDA. I did say then that the synthesizer is too slow in
responding to commands.
But, actually, I only have problems with the synthesizer when I am on
the internet. It is very slow on the internet, irrespective of the
browser I use. I use internet explorer chrome and firefox.
Sometimes when I am browsing, the synthesizer just stops work all
together, and I have to shut down the computer. Sometimes when I am
trying to spell out a word I've just typed on an Email, using the
right arrow key, the screen reader shuts down.
I've done a windows update several times, scanned my computer with
microsoft security essentials, and have also used CCleaner, but I am
still having the same problem.
Please can anyone think of a solution.
I can't use ESpeak because I just don't understand the speech. The
microsoft speech is one I don't like, because it is too low. I like
viavoice outloud, because it sounds almost as good as eloquence.
Unfortunately I don't have money to buy the license for eloquence.
Can anyone suggest a free synthesizer. I tried out the vocalizer, but
it was asking for a license key.
I hope this mail is not too long, and I hope I am well understood.
Hope to read a response.
Thanks and best regards.
From Ibrahim.
.


Gene
 

That may be your experience.  It isn't mine.  Via Voice works well on three computers I've used it on, two of them XP machines and one a Windows 7 machine.  I don't know how it works in Windows 10.  There is a problem with Via Voice and that is that it causes NVDA to crash enough to be somewhat annoying.  That may be the result of it being a SAPI 4 API, but I don't know if it is or if it is caused by Via Voice itself. 
 
Usually, NVDA automatically runs itself again but at times, it crashes in such a way that it doesn't.  At times, a message may be shown that you have to respond to.  In cases where it crashes and doesn't restart, you may want to run Narrator or something else to make sure if there is a message and what it is.  If it doesn't restart, I'm not sure, but it may be better not to try to run it again, but rather to run Narrator, or whatever, and make sure there is no message first.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 4:00 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Looking for a Synthesizer

Via Voice out loud is now very old. its Sappi 4 and always had issues in
nvda when arrowing through, sometimes two chars can be heard sometimes
nothing at all.
 I really feel that for everyday use, you need something more modern, at
least espeak or sappi 5 or one of the newer built in voices in Windows. Of
course if your machine is slow, a lot of these will lag.
 You may need to buy Eloquence, as Via Voice is an eloquence clone of a
sort, but I think this is the  problem in your case. I'm sure others will be
along to make suggestions, but as always, the speech synth you are used to
is always going to sound better than others, and it may be you have to live
with this till you get used to a new one.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ibrahim Ajayi" <kobisko@...>
Cc: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 1:44 AM
Subject: [nvda] Looking for a Synthesizer


> Hi good people:
> I've sent this question before, but I didn't give a clear
> understanding of the issue.
> I did say that I use an old synthesizer, known as viavoice outloud, to
> access NVDA.  I did say then that the synthesizer is too slow in
> responding to commands.
> But, actually, I only have problems with the synthesizer when I am on
> the internet.  It is very slow on the internet, irrespective of the
> browser I use.  I use internet explorer chrome and firefox.
> Sometimes when I am browsing, the synthesizer just stops work all
> together, and I have to shut down the computer.  Sometimes when I am
> trying to spell out a word I've just typed on an Email, using the
> right arrow key, the screen reader shuts down.
> I've done a windows update several times, scanned my computer with
> microsoft security essentials, and have also used CCleaner, but I am
> still having the same problem.
> Please can anyone think of a solution.
> I can't use ESpeak because I just don't understand the speech.  The
> microsoft speech is one I don't like, because it is too low.  I like
> viavoice outloud, because it sounds almost as good as eloquence.
> Unfortunately I don't have money to buy the license for eloquence.
> Can anyone suggest a free synthesizer.  I tried out the vocalizer, but
> it was asking for a license key.
> I hope this mail is not too long, and I hope I am well understood.
> Hope to read a response.
> Thanks and best  regards.
> From Ibrahim.
>
>
>




Gene
 

I should also add that, when using firefox and NVDA on a rather slow XP computer, I had a very annoyingly slow response time when writing in a browser.  This was in edit fields that showed spelling errors.  I turned off the notification in NVDA and writing in such fields became much more responsive.  Turn off the feature and see what happens.  This was when using Via Voice but I don't think the unresponsiveness had anything to do with Via Voice.  I also suspect the same problem would have occurred regardless of browser being used.
 
The setting is a check box in the Document Formatting dialog, in Preferences.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2018 9:55 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Looking for a Synthesizer

Have you tried using browsers with other synthesizers?  If not, the first thing to do is to be sure the problem only happens with Via Voice.  After that, what version of Windows are you using and are you using typical browsers, Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Firefox? 
 
If the problem only occurs with browsers, I'm not sure I have any solutions.  You said the Microsoft voices are too low.  the work around might be to find a way to increase the volume and use Via Voice for other things if you wish and the Microsoft voices on the Internet.  At some point, you might be able to by Eloquence but you may want to test a demo of the SAPI 5 version of Eloquence to see if you have the same problems with browsers as you do with Via Voice.  Then you would know if you have that alternative available if you can take advantage of it at some point.  It wouldn't be very pleasant to believe you do and then find out you don't at some point when you might have been looking forward to it. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2018 7:44 PM
Subject: [nvda] Looking for a Synthesizer

Hi good people:
I've sent this question before, but I didn't give a clear
understanding of the issue.
I did say that I use an old synthesizer, known as viavoice outloud, to
access NVDA.  I did say then that the synthesizer is too slow in
responding to commands.
But, actually, I only have problems with the synthesizer when I am on
the internet.  It is very slow on the internet, irrespective of the
browser I use.  I use internet explorer chrome and firefox.
Sometimes when I am browsing, the synthesizer just stops work all
together, and I have to shut down the computer.  Sometimes when I am
trying to spell out a word I've just typed on an Email, using the
right arrow key, the screen reader shuts down.
I've done a windows update several times, scanned my computer with
microsoft security essentials, and have also used CCleaner, but I am
still having the same problem.
Please can anyone think of a solution.
I can't use ESpeak because I just don't understand the speech.  The
microsoft speech is one I don't like, because it is too low.  I like
viavoice outloud, because it sounds almost as good as eloquence.
Unfortunately I don't have money to buy the license for eloquence.
Can anyone suggest a free synthesizer.  I tried out the vocalizer, but
it was asking for a license key.
I hope this mail is not too long, and I hope I am well understood.
Hope to read a response.
Thanks and best  regards.
From Ibrahim.



Juan Hernandez
 

What are your computer's specifications? i.e. cpu, ram, etc etc? What os are you running?

Best.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ibrahim Ajayi
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2018 5:44 PM
Cc: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Looking for a Synthesizer

Hi good people:
I've sent this question before, but I didn't give a clear understanding of the issue.
I did say that I use an old synthesizer, known as viavoice outloud, to access NVDA. I did say then that the synthesizer is too slow in responding to commands.
But, actually, I only have problems with the synthesizer when I am on the internet. It is very slow on the internet, irrespective of the browser I use. I use internet explorer chrome and firefox.
Sometimes when I am browsing, the synthesizer just stops work all together, and I have to shut down the computer. Sometimes when I am trying to spell out a word I've just typed on an Email, using the right arrow key, the screen reader shuts down.
I've done a windows update several times, scanned my computer with microsoft security essentials, and have also used CCleaner, but I am still having the same problem.
Please can anyone think of a solution.
I can't use ESpeak because I just don't understand the speech. The microsoft speech is one I don't like, because it is too low. I like viavoice outloud, because it sounds almost as good as eloquence.
Unfortunately I don't have money to buy the license for eloquence.
Can anyone suggest a free synthesizer. I tried out the vocalizer, but it was asking for a license key.
I hope this mail is not too long, and I hope I am well understood.
Hope to read a response.
Thanks and best regards.
From Ibrahim.


Kelly Sapergia
 

Hi,

If you like Eloquence, I recommend the SAPI 5 version from Code Factory. I
also tried the latest update to their Eloquence and Vocalizer addon, and
while Eloquence sounds considerably better than it did when the addon was
first released, I noticed that sometimes pressing Control wouldn't silence
speech until I pressed one of the arrow keys to move to a different line,
message, etc. I say this because this issue has occurred (for me anyway) in
Outlook's message view, the desktop, and even when reading a webpage. From
what I can tell, it seems to be random, but after I've pressed an arrow key,
the Control key would work great again. It even occurs with the addon's
Vocalizer voices.
I haven't noticed this issue at all with the SAPI 5 version of Eloquence, so
that was the deciding factor for me in my purchase.
I also have both the Vocalizer voices addon from Tiflotecnia, though the
newest voices aren't currently available for it, and the Acapela voices
addon.

Hope this helps.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly John Sapergia
Show Host and Production Director
The Global Voice Internet Radio
www.theglobalvoice.info

Personal Website: www.ksapergia.net
Business Site (KJS Productions): www.kjsproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter at: kjsapergia


Casey <cwollner@...>
 

Hi is this the same equalence that you can purchase from At guys or is this A different one?

On 4/25/2018 9:47 AM, Kelly Sapergia wrote:
Hi,

If you like Eloquence, I recommend the SAPI 5 version from Code Factory. I
also tried the latest update to their Eloquence and Vocalizer addon, and
while Eloquence sounds considerably better than it did when the addon was
first released, I noticed that sometimes pressing Control wouldn't silence
speech until I pressed one of the arrow keys to move to a different line,
message, etc. I say this because this issue has occurred (for me anyway) in
Outlook's message view, the desktop, and even when reading a webpage. From
what I can tell, it seems to be random, but after I've pressed an arrow key,
the Control key would work great again. It even occurs with the addon's
Vocalizer voices.
I haven't noticed this issue at all with the SAPI 5 version of Eloquence, so
that was the deciding factor for me in my purchase.
I also have both the Vocalizer voices addon from Tiflotecnia, though the
newest voices aren't currently available for it, and the Acapela voices
addon.

Hope this helps.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly John Sapergia
Show Host and Production Director
The Global Voice Internet Radio
www.theglobalvoice.info

Personal Website: www.ksapergia.net
Business Site (KJS Productions): www.kjsproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter at: kjsapergia





--

Casey


Kelly Sapergia
 

Both the SAPI 5 and NVDA versions are made by Code Factory. I bought the
SAPI 5 version from AT Guys, but both versions can also be purchased direct
from Code Factory.

Thanks.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly John Sapergia
Show Host and Production Director
The Global Voice Internet Radio
www.theglobalvoice.info

Personal Website: www.ksapergia.net
Business Site (KJS Productions): www.kjsproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter at: kjsapergia


Casey <cwollner@...>
 

Hi is this the sapi 5 eloquence from A.T. guys that you can use with not use NVDA but another speech program that you wish?

On 4/25/2018 2:07 PM, Kelly Sapergia wrote:
Both the SAPI 5 and NVDA versions are made by Code Factory. I bought the
SAPI 5 version from AT Guys, but both versions can also be purchased direct
from Code Factory.

Thanks.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly John Sapergia
Show Host and Production Director
The Global Voice Internet Radio
www.theglobalvoice.info

Personal Website: www.ksapergia.net
Business Site (KJS Productions): www.kjsproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter at: kjsapergia




--

Casey