Windows 10: Firefox 59 Unusable with NVDA

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Quentin,

I am using Firefox 59.0 64 bit in Windows 10 with latest NVDA.

When I use Firefox, I cannot open some links. If you try the web site www.brayarts.net you will find that Firefox opens the links to the associated pages on the web site but not to the attached .PDF files. For example, open “Brochures Page”. When this page opens you will see that it is laid out in sets of HTML tables containing a link to a .pdf brochure in each cell of the table. The brochure files are held on the website.

When I press tab to get to any of these links, NVDA echoes that I am on the link and numpad  5 confirms this. I press space bar to open it. This has always worked up to last month but Now, all that happens is that Firefox opens a new tab with nothing in it!

I tried using JAWS to see if this was a problem for NVDA alone but JAWS was also unable to open the link so, I think it is a Firefox problem.

Does NVDA have another means of opening a link besides the space bar, the application key, numpad * or numpad enter, …  All of these do nothing!

Would you try the link www.brayarts.net and see if you are having the same trouble?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Quentin,

I have just tried the link www.brayarts.net on Google Chrome and it works perfectly with NVDA, successfully opening the .PDF brochure in a separate window. This also suggests that this is a Firefox problem.

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

John Isige

I clicked on that link, clicked on brochures or whatever, and picked the
first one, November 2014 or such. It came up just fine. At first it had
the typical PDF controls, zoom and such, and then below those it said
"clickable" and it was blank, but if you wait a second or two, maybe
longer depending on your connection, it comes up. I read about a
photographer and some sort of American tribal belly dance troop,
whatever the hell that means, and a group who did 1950s French and
Italian music whose saxophone is apparently coming real soon now.

This is using "Microsoft WindowsVersion 1709 (OS Build 16299.371"
64-bit, NVDA 1018.1.1, and Firefox 59.0.2 64-bit.

On 4/24/2018 12:06, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

Quentin,

I have just tried the link www.brayarts.net <http://www.brayarts.net>

www.brayarts.net <http://www.brayarts.net> you will find that Firefox

Would you try the link www.brayarts.net <http://www.brayarts.net> and
see if you are having the same trouble?

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e:
cearbhall.omeadhra@... <mailto:cearbhall.omeadhra@...>

John Isige

Oh, here's how I opened the link. I went to the brochures page, got down
to the brochures, highlighted a link, November 2014 or whatever with the
arrow keys, and pressed enter, specifically enter on the main keyboard.
I didn't touch the number pad in any of this. It didn't show up as being
in tables for me, but I have include layout tables unchecked.

On 4/24/2018 11:54, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

[...]

Chris

Same here no problems read the pdf okay

Maybe this is something to do with the adobe plugin???

I clicked on that link, clicked on brochures or whatever, and picked the

first one, November 2014 or such. It came up just fine. At first it had

the typical PDF controls, zoom and such, and then below those it said

"clickable" and it was blank, but if you wait a second or two, maybe

longer depending on your connection, it comes up. I read about a

photographer and some sort of American tribal belly dance troop,

whatever the hell that means, and a group who did 1950s French and

Italian music whose saxophone is apparently coming real soon now.

This is using "Microsoft WindowsVersion 1709 (OS Build 16299.371"

64-bit, NVDA 1018.1.1, and Firefox 59.0.2 64-bit.

On 4/24/2018 12:06, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

> Quentin,

> I have just tried the link www.brayarts.net <http://www.brayarts.net>

> on Google Chrome and it works perfectly with NVDA, successfully

> opening the .PDF brochure in a separate window. This also suggests

> that this is a Firefox problem.

> All the best,

> Cearbhall

> m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

Gene

I'm not saying this is the cause of your problem because I don't think it is.  But space is not the documented command for following links.  Enter is.  If you use commands that aren't documented, they may work some or most of the time but not always.

I don't mean that enter is the command just for NVDA, but standard browsers supported by Windows screen-readers use enter as the documented command.  And Windows screen-readers that follow proper standards do also.

[...]

It sounds to me as though the problem is that, for some reason, the PDF viewer may not be opening.  I don't know why that might be.  I don't think that following the link per se is the problem.

Oh, here's how I opened the link. I went to the brochures page, got down
to the brochures, highlighted a link, November 2014 or whatever with the
arrow keys, and pressed enter, specifically enter on the main keyboard.
I didn't touch the number pad in any of this. It didn't show up as being
in tables for me, but I have include layout tables unchecked.

On 4/24/2018 11:54, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

> Quentin,
>
> I am using Firefox 59.0 64 bit in Windows 10 with latest NVDA.
>
> When I use Firefox, I cannot open some links. If you try the web site
> www.brayarts.net <http://www.brayarts.net> you will find that Firefox
> opens the links to the associated pages on the web site but not to the
> attached .PDF files. For example, open “Brochures Page”. When this
> page opens you will see that it is laid out in sets of HTML tables
> containing a link to a .pdf brochure in each cell of the table. The
> brochure files are held on the website.
>
> When I press tab to get to any of these links, NVDA echoes that I am
> on the link and numpad  5 confirms this. I press space bar to open it.
> This has always worked up to last month but Now, all that happens is
> that Firefox opens a new tab with nothing in it!
>
> I tried using JAWS to see if this was a problem for NVDA alone but
> JAWS was also unable to open the link so, I think it is a Firefox problem.
>
> Does NVDA have another means of opening a link besides the space bar,
> the application key, numpad * or numpad enter, …  All of these do nothing!
>
> Would you try the link www.brayarts.net <http://www.brayarts.net> and
> see if you are having the same trouble?
>
> All the best,
>
> Cearbhall
>
> m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

Ron Canazzi

Hi Cearbhall,

I can't give you an exact reproduction of this because  I have Office 365 and the PDF documents open in Microsoft Word.  However, if I right click and choose save as, it saves as a DDF and thencan be opened and read quite well with NVDA in the Adobe PDF Reader.

On 4/24/2018 12:54 PM, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

[...]

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

John,

That's encouraging news! You managed to read the lot all right. What keystrokes did you use?

Like you, My windows is Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.371)
So, there must be a simple explanation as to why I can't get the document links to open even though the page links on the site do open correctly.

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

Ron,

Thanks for the response!

I dont have any problem reading a pdf file that is stored on my PC. This problem only occurs in Firefox with an online pdf document.

[...]

I just tried that now that you described it but, no luck! I still got a blank screen when the link opened and no sign of adobe or any effort to display the pdf document.

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

Firefox has a PDF reader.  I don't know if its built into the browser or if it's an add on but whatever it is, it is distributed as part of the browser.  Why yours doesn't work, I don't know.

Gene

I just tried that now that you described it but, no luck! I still got a blank screen when the link opened and no sign of adobe or any effort to display the pdf document.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Oh, here's how I opened the link. I went to the brochures page, got down to the brochures, highlighted a link, November 2014 or whatever with the arrow keys, and pressed enter, specifically enter on the main keyboard.
I didn't touch the number pad in any of this. It didn't show up as being in tables for me, but I have include layout tables unchecked.

On 4/24/2018 11:54, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

> Quentin,
>
> I am using Firefox 59.0 64 bit in Windows 10 with latest NVDA.
>
> When I use Firefox, I cannot open some links. If you try the web site
> www.brayarts.net <http://www.brayarts.net> you will find that Firefox
> opens the links to the associated pages on the web site but not to the
> attached .PDF files. For example, open “Brochures Page”. When this
> page opens you will see that it is laid out in sets of HTML tables
> containing a link to a .pdf brochure in each cell of the table. The
> brochure files are held on the website.
>
> When I press tab to get to any of these links, NVDA echoes that I am
> on the link and numpad  5 confirms this. I press space bar to open it.
> This has always worked up to last month but Now, all that happens is
> that Firefox opens a new tab with nothing in it!
>
> I tried using JAWS to see if this was a problem for NVDA alone but
> JAWS was also unable to open the link so, I think it is a Firefox problem.
>
> Does NVDA have another means of opening a link besides the space bar,
> the application key, numpad * or numpad enter, …  All of these do nothing!
>
> Would you try the link www.brayarts.net <http://www.brayarts.net> and
> see if you are having the same trouble?
>
> All the best,
>
> Cearbhall
>
> m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e:
> cearbhall.omeadhra@...

Lino Morales <linomorales001@...>

You are correct Gene it is built in. I hate it. I still use Adobe Reader DC.

Lino Morales

Firefox has a PDF reader.  I don't know if its built into the browser or if it's an add on but whatever it is, it is distributed as part of the browser.  Why yours doesn't work, I don't know.

Gene
I just tried that now that you described it but, no luck! I still got a blank screen when the link opened and no sign of adobe or any effort to display the pdf document.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Oh, here's how I opened the link. I went to the brochures page, got down to the brochures, highlighted a link, November 2014 or whatever with the arrow keys, and pressed enter, specifically enter on the main keyboard.
I didn't touch the number pad in any of this. It didn't show up as being in tables for me, but I have include layout tables unchecked.

On 4/24/2018 11:54, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

> Quentin,
>
> I am using Firefox 59.0 64 bit in Windows 10 with latest NVDA.
>
> When I use Firefox, I cannot open some links. If you try the web site
> www.brayarts.net <http://www.brayarts.net> you will find that Firefox
> opens the links to the associated pages on the web site but not to the
> attached .PDF files. For example, open “Brochures Page”. When this
> page opens you will see that it is laid out in sets of HTML tables
> containing a link to a .pdf brochure in each cell of the table. The
> brochure files are held on the website.
>
> When I press tab to get to any of these links, NVDA echoes that I am
> on the link and numpad  5 confirms this. I press space bar to open it.
> This has always worked up to last month but Now, all that happens is
> that Firefox opens a new tab with nothing in it!
>
> I tried using JAWS to see if this was a problem for NVDA alone but
> JAWS was also unable to open the link so, I think it is a Firefox problem.
>
> Does NVDA have another means of opening a link besides the space bar,
> the application key, numpad * or numpad enter, …  All of these do nothing!
>
> Would you try the link www.brayarts.net <http://www.brayarts.net> and
> see if you are having the same trouble?
>
> All the best,
>
> Cearbhall
>
> m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e:
> cearbhall.omeadhra@...

Gene

In this case, how would you tell Firefox to either download the PDF or open it in another program?  right clicking the link and using save link as might allow a download but there are sites where right clicking won't work so if the situation can't be corrected or another method is desired, it would be good to know how this is done.

Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 3:31 PM

You are correct Gene it is built in. I hate it. I still use Adobe Reader DC.

Lino Morales

Firefox has a PDF reader.  I don't know if its built into the browser or if it's an add on but whatever it is, it is distributed as part of the browser.  Why yours doesn't work, I don't know.

Gene
I just tried that now that you described it but, no luck! I still got a blank screen when the link opened and no sign of adobe or any effort to display the pdf document.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Oh, here's how I opened the link. I went to the brochures page, got down to the brochures, highlighted a link, November 2014 or whatever with the arrow keys, and pressed enter, specifically enter on the main keyboard.
I didn't touch the number pad in any of this. It didn't show up as being in tables for me, but I have include layout tables unchecked.

On 4/24/2018 11:54, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

> Quentin,
>
> I am using Firefox 59.0 64 bit in Windows 10 with latest NVDA.
>
> When I use Firefox, I cannot open some links. If you try the web site
> www.brayarts.net <http://www.brayarts.net> you will find that Firefox
> opens the links to the associated pages on the web site but not to the
> attached .PDF files. For example, open “Brochures Page”. When this
> page opens you will see that it is laid out in sets of HTML tables
> containing a link to a .pdf brochure in each cell of the table. The
> brochure files are held on the website.
>
> When I press tab to get to any of these links, NVDA echoes that I am
> on the link and numpad  5 confirms this. I press space bar to open it.
> This has always worked up to last month but Now, all that happens is
> that Firefox opens a new tab with nothing in it!
>
> I tried using JAWS to see if this was a problem for NVDA alone but
> JAWS was also unable to open the link so, I think it is a Firefox problem.
>
> Does NVDA have another means of opening a link besides the space bar,
> the application key, numpad * or numpad enter, …  All of these do nothing!
>
> Would you try the link www.brayarts.net <http://www.brayarts.net> and
> see if you are having the same trouble?
>
> All the best,
>
> Cearbhall
>
> m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e:
> cearbhall.omeadhra@...

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

John, Ron and Quentin,
I have discovered what is happening! In Firefox, every time I click on a document linked to a web page, Firefox downloads the file to the default "Downloads" folder on my PC. I now have several copies of various files that I have been trying to open!

Any idea what setting is controlling this behaviour in Firefox? It is clearly not a fault in Firefox but it is not what I want Firefox to do.

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

I don't know if you are seeing my messages since you haven't responded to any but you have to every other sender.

To change the behavior, do the following.
Open tools, alt t, then o for options.
After options opens tab once.
Down arrow to applications.
Tab until you get to the search field.
Type pdf
Then tab and there will be a result.
It will tell you what your current choice is.  It will say list but you'll only see that item.
In the list up or down arrow to select that item.  Then tab once.
You are in a combo box.  Up arrow to the choice you want, preview in Firefox.
This dialog doesn't have an ok button.  Settings take immediate effect.

Options is a web page that looks like a dialog.  Since you are actually on a web page that Firefox generates internally, do whatever you wannt from here in the same way as you would leave any web page, such as going to another page with a book mark, closing the browser, etc.

Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 3:31 PM

You are correct Gene it is built in. I hate it. I still use Adobe Reader DC.

Lino Morales

Firefox has a PDF reader.  I don't know if its built into the browser or if it's an add on but whatever it is, it is distributed as part of the browser.  Why yours doesn't work, I don't know.

Gene
I just tried that now that you described it but, no luck! I still got a blank screen when the link opened and no sign of adobe or any effort to display the pdf document.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Oh, here's how I opened the link. I went to the brochures page, got down to the brochures, highlighted a link, November 2014 or whatever with the arrow keys, and pressed enter, specifically enter on the main keyboard.
I didn't touch the number pad in any of this. It didn't show up as being in tables for me, but I have include layout tables unchecked.

On 4/24/2018 11:54, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

> Quentin,
>
> I am using Firefox 59.0 64 bit in Windows 10 with latest NVDA.
>
> When I use Firefox, I cannot open some links. If you try the web site
> www.brayarts.net <http://www.brayarts.net> you will find that Firefox
> opens the links to the associated pages on the web site but not to the
> attached .PDF files. For example, open “Brochures Page”. When this
> page opens you will see that it is laid out in sets of HTML tables
> containing a link to a .pdf brochure in each cell of the table. The
> brochure files are held on the website.
>
> When I press tab to get to any of these links, NVDA echoes that I am
> on the link and numpad  5 confirms this. I press space bar to open it.
> This has always worked up to last month but Now, all that happens is
> that Firefox opens a new tab with nothing in it!
>
> I tried using JAWS to see if this was a problem for NVDA alone but
> JAWS was also unable to open the link so, I think it is a Firefox problem.
>
> Does NVDA have another means of opening a link besides the space bar,
> the application key, numpad * or numpad enter, …  All of these do nothing!
>
> Would you try the link www.brayarts.net <http://www.brayarts.net> and
> see if you are having the same trouble?
>
> All the best,
>
> Cearbhall
>
> m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e:
> cearbhall.omeadhra@...

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Gene,

Your step by step instructions were very helpful, thanks! I now have Adobe set as the application to use for viewing PDF files.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 3:31 PM

You are correct Gene it is built in. I hate it. I still use Adobe Reader DC.

Lino Morales

Firefox has a PDF reader.  I don't know if its built into the browser or if it's an add on but whatever it is, it is distributed as part of the browser.  Why yours doesn't work, I don't know.

Gene

I just tried that now that you described it but, no luck! I still got a blank screen when the link opened and no sign of adobe or any effort to display the pdf document.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Oh, here's how I opened the link. I went to the brochures page, got down to the brochures, highlighted a link, November 2014 or whatever with the arrow keys, and pressed enter, specifically enter on the main keyboard.
I didn't touch the number pad in any of this. It didn't show up as being in tables for me, but I have include layout tables unchecked.

On 4/24/2018 11:54, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

> Quentin,
>
> I am using Firefox 59.0 64 bit in Windows 10 with latest NVDA.
>
> When I use Firefox, I cannot open some links. If you try the web site
> www.brayarts.net <http://www.brayarts.net> you will find that Firefox
> opens the links to the associated pages on the web site but not to the
> attached .PDF files. For example, open “Brochures Page”. When this
> page opens you will see that it is laid out in sets of HTML tables
> containing a link to a .pdf brochure in each cell of the table. The
> brochure files are held on the website.
>
> When I press tab to get to any of these links, NVDA echoes that I am
> on the link and numpad  5 confirms this. I press space bar to open it.
> This has always worked up to last month but Now, all that happens is
> that Firefox opens a new tab with nothing in it!
>
> I tried using JAWS to see if this was a problem for NVDA alone but
> JAWS was also unable to open the link so, I think it is a Firefox problem.
>
> Does NVDA have another means of opening a link besides the space bar,
> the application key, numpad * or numpad enter, …  All of these do nothing!
>
> Would you try the link www.brayarts.net <http://www.brayarts.net> and
> see if you are having the same trouble?
>
> All the best,
>
> Cearbhall
>
> m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e:
> cearbhall.omeadhra@...

Brian's Mail list account

Do you have an ad blocker on the system?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I am using Firefox 59.0 64 bit in Windows 10 with latest NVDA.

When I use Firefox, I cannot open some links. If you try the web site www.brayarts.net <http://www.brayarts.net> you will find that Firefox opens the links to the associated pages on the web site but not to the attached .PDF files. For example, open “Brochures Page”. When this page opens you will see that it is laid out in sets of HTML tables containing a link to a .pdf brochure in each cell of the table. The brochure files are held on the website.

When I press tab to get to any of these links, NVDA echoes that I am on the link and numpad 5 confirms this. I press space bar to open it. This has always worked up to last month but Now, all that happens is that Firefox opens a new tab with nothing in it!

I tried using JAWS to see if this was a problem for NVDA alone but JAWS was also unable to open the link so, I think it is a Firefox problem.

Does NVDA have another means of opening a link besides the space bar, the application key, numpad * or numpad enter, … All of these do nothing!

Would you try the link www.brayarts.net <http://www.brayarts.net> and see if you are having the same trouble?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Brian's Mail list account

In that case I turned off open in pdf viewer and always download, but in this case normally you should see a file name prompt so this seems still a little odd to me. The settings I think its something like programs in the settings which you can set to do different things with file types.
[...]

Tyler Wood

Hi,

I hate adobi in general, so tried something different.

My solution, that actually worked really well, was to use the built in microsoft edge reader.

Works better than anything else I've used and don't need to download adobi garbage to use it.

It's a win win.

On 25-Apr-2018 3:15 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
In that case I turned off open in pdf viewer and always download, but in this case normally you should see a file name prompt so this  seems still a little odd to me. The settings I think its something like programs in the settings which you can set to do different things with file types.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-