From: "Shaun Everiss" <sm.everiss@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 7:53 AM
Subject: [nvda] new laptop

Hi.
As my toshiba is getting quite old I will be getting another laptop.
What should I avoid, what should I go for.
I have used asus boards and find them stable enough.
I have used an hp my aunt has and while there are enhancements to manage its stable enough.
People say stay away from dell because of its sound effects thingy and other things, and well lenovo aparently is quite good though never investigated that one.
Note, anything suggested must be able to be gotten in new zealand or at least have me have a shot at getting.
It will have win10 to.

aah ok.

On 4/25/2018 8:20 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
You probably need to talk to Jonathan Mosen then, he lives in NZ and has just been through a laptop purchase for his blind wife.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
As my toshiba is getting quite old I will be getting another laptop.
What should I avoid, what should I go for.
I have used asus boards and find them stable enough.
I have used an hp my aunt has and while there are enhancements to manage its stable enough.
People say stay away from dell because of its sound effects thingy and other things, and well lenovo aparently is quite good though never investigated that one.
Note, anything suggested must be able to be gotten in new zealand or at least have me have a shot at getting.
It will have win10 to.

kelby carlson

I've had pretty decent luck with my Lenovo, though there will be some bloatware that comes with the PC you'll want to get rid of. (Basically anything in the programs list that starts with Lenovo can be uninstalled safely.) I've had mine for a year and it generally runs quite fast.

On Apr 25, 2018, at 4:25 AM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

AAh ok, is any of that extra lenovo stuff any good though.

For example, on my old toshiba I kept all of the extras mostly till it exited support then cannd it all because it was not of use.

On the hp I had bar office mcafee and some games I kept most of it as I used the support hub a lot and it had some use.

After all the issues with the cyberlink stuff and my dvd drive on another system weather I keep that on on my new box would be a different matter I'd probably keep it but not use it.

As for lenovo, I think I would look at it first and see if it was any used to me before I killed it all and at least looked what use it had.

Some of it I'd probably get rid of though.

Not everything is bloat if you have a use for it.

On 4/26/2018 12:52 AM, kelby carlson wrote:
[...]

valiant8086

Hi.

At least on my Yoga2pro, the bloat is mostly in the form of small uwp apps, nonobtrusive. Some of them are useful, and not all that screen reader friendly, like Lenovo Software Update, which maintains the drivers and such. Lenovo uses the function key row for action keys by default you have to change it. FN escape will toggle it, but that may be temporary. A permanent fix that sticks across reboots may arive if you update the bios and hit fn+escape again, or if that still doesn't work, just using sighted assistance and turning the media keys into function keys directly in the bios will work. Sometimes keys aren't where they ought to be. Lenovo Yoga920 for instance, Yoga720, don't have context keys at least not in the proper place between right alt and right control. Keys will need remapping to get them to do things one is used to like for instance if the insert key is in the wrong place, may be able to remap it with what ever is to the left of delete, possibly print screen. I've got 30000 hours of runtime on my Yoga2pro with some button swaps applied and all is well. The keyboard is physically at end of life, but my print screen or what ever it is has happily been function as an insert key for all these years with no trouble.

You might need USB type A ports, so ensure that you're going to be getting those and won't be left with only USB c and thunderbolt ports, that's common now.

Do you want a little ultrabook or would a slightly fatter laptop with just a 13 inch screen work or what.

As far as I can tell currently in terms of hardware performance Yoga's winner in the ultrabook field is Thinkpad t480s, and there's a small chance I'll be buying one soon. If you have a model you're interested in and want to geek out with benchmarks, hardware reviews and such try googling something like this

notebookcheck.net dell xps13 2 in 1

notebookcheck.net Lenovo T480s

and of course, availability is a factor. I would guess that Lenovo and Asus both would be available in some form or another.

Cheers:

Aaron Spears, A.K.A. valiant8086. General Partner - Valiant Galaxy Associates "We make Very Good Audiogames for the blind community - http://valiantGalaxy.com"

<Sent with Thunderbird 52.1.0 portable>

On 4/25/2018 4:25 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Well all my units have been 15.6-17 inch, I wouldn't be going bigger than 15.6, sure if a 13 supported duel drives sure but well hmmm.

That is a concern if the apps on the lenovo are not as accessible as one would like though realistically all I would need would be the units serial number or whatever service number I need to update the thing.

I know dell does allow autodetection of the units as does hp.

Something betwene a gaming which is huge and heavy to a smaller unit, anything from 1.8 through 2.6 which is about what I have now in weight is fine.

I plan to do all my work, gaming, and entertainment on the unit I choose so it needs a bit of everything.

What are the sound effects and enhancements like on the lenovo.

The keyboard does give me some pause I can deal with a few things but if I have to swap the board about with keys if I ever need to use the unit without my external board, well it depends what is where.

On 4/27/2018 9:41 AM, valiant8086 wrote:
[...]

David Moore

Hi,

The HP Stream that I have is what you want.

It is 6 inches wide, 7 inches deep, and an inch thick. Now, here is the miracle. It has two Gig of ram, and a 32 Gig SSD drive.

However, it has a slot for a micro SD card, and I have one in there that is 128 Gigs.

This thing flies so fast, a program launches in a second.

Here is all I have installed.

Windows 10, JAWS, NVDA, over 20 NVDA add ons, Malware Bytes, Dropbox app, pCloud Drive app, Back up and sync app, I use One Drive, Games are installed, just card games from Jim Kitchen, I have all Windows 10 apps, Skype, and more. Even with the two Gig of ram, and the 32 Gig SSD drive, I have four or more programs running at one time, and this baby still runs like a top. There is no numpad to mess with, The key board is very squeezed together which allows me to type 80 words a minute, because I do not have to reach for the numpad. This baby only weighs less than a pound. I said two pounds on another post, but it is just a little under a pound. I carry it everywhere under my arm. It is like a small note taker. I use this awesome baby for every job that I use my much more powerful and huge Asus laptop to do.

It is called an HP Stream netbook, and it is supposed to be made as efficient

As it can be.

I would really recommend it for much work, play, and even playing some slow games.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> [...]

>> On the hp I had bar office mcafee and some games I kept most of it as

>> I used the support hub a lot and it had some use.

>> After all the issues with the cyberlink stuff and my dvd drive on

>> another system weather I keep that on on my new box would be a

>> different matter I'd probably keep it but not use it.

>> As for lenovo, I think I would look at it first and see if it was any

>> used to me before I killed it all and at least looked what use it had.

>> Some of it I'd probably get rid of though.

>> Not everything is bloat if you have a use for it.

>> On 4/26/2018 12:52 AM, kelby carlson wrote:

>>> I've had pretty decent luck with my Lenovo, though there will be

>>> some bloatware that comes with the PC you'll want to get rid of.

>>> (Basically anything in the programs list that starts with Lenovo can

>>> be uninstalled safely.) I've had mine for a year and it generally

valiant8086

Hi.

On the Yoga2pro it has some enhancements that cause it to crackle a bit, so I turn it off by using the disable all enhancements checkbox in the stock windows sound thing. It doesn't make audiodg.exe use lots of cpu the same way the dell's seem to.

Not sure if that may have been changed since then.

On 4/26/2018 11:54 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Hmmm.

Looking at the lenovo, for what I want the thinkpad t480 or 580 look like my cup of tea but compaired to the edge e580, the prices are large.

Saying that, with the thinkpad t, it does appear that if I want to, for about 3700 I can run a full system with flash, thats 128gb of os storage and 1tb of flash storage though its an extra grand for the flash and thats the current sale only.

Its promising to me that lenovo may still use unlocked cards without their own control panels.

Ofcause against that, hp do use amd processers in my configuration but at the end of the day hmmm.

I have had several people recomend lenovo with several on other lists recomend the t series.

How are lenovos with say virtual machines since this is one thing I have been thinking about.