what can i do please help

P. Otter

hello all,
i've a problem with my laptop.
it is a dell inspiron 14Z5423.
it is very quick, and nvda is installed and works properly.
most of the time on laptops you can press and hold the fn key to navigate around the screen with nvda.
but not here. the fn key works here only for the F-keys to change sound, screen, etc with fn key is pressed.
what i want is to use j k l, u i o etc to navigate around the screen with nvda.
there is also no numlock key.

i've tryed it with an sweex number pad.
the digits are working correct with numlock off.
but when i've pressed numlock on, the only thing i can do is a left mouse click and a right mouse click.
but the digits are not used as nvda navigate keys.

so the laptop is very nice and quick. what can i do now?
is there a way to solve this problem?
i'm very glad if there is a solution for me.
thanks in advance!
paul otter

Chris

Is single letter navigation turned on?

To toggle its nvda+shift+space

See if that helps

it is very quick, and nvda is installed and works properly.

most of the time on laptops you can press and hold the fn key to

navigate around the screen with nvda.

but not here. the fn key works here only for the F-keys to change sound,

screen, etc with fn key is pressed.

what i want is to use j k l, u i o etc to navigate around the screen

with nvda.

there is also no numlock key.

i've tryed it with an sweex number pad.

the digits are working correct with numlock off.

but when i've pressed numlock on, the only thing i can do is a left

mouse click and a right mouse click.

but the digits are not used as nvda navigate keys.

so the laptop is very nice and quick. what can i do now?

is there a way to solve this problem?

i'm very glad if there is a solution for me.

thanks in advance!

paul otter

Brian's Mail list account

Use the laptop layout or buy a numeric keypad?
Have we not had this issue before. its precisely why if I get a new laptop not only do I want the function keys to be defaulted to function keys, but I want a keypad as well.
I have an old dell without one and got so peed off I eventually plugged in a keyboard.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

it is very quick, and nvda is installed and works properly.
most of the time on laptops you can press and hold the fn key to navigate around the screen with nvda.
but not here. the fn key works here only for the F-keys to change sound, screen, etc with fn key is pressed.
what i want is to use j k l, u i o etc to navigate around the screen with nvda.
there is also no numlock key.

i've tryed it with an sweex number pad.
the digits are working correct with numlock off.
but when i've pressed numlock on, the only thing i can do is a left mouse click and a right mouse click.
but the digits are not used as nvda navigate keys.

so the laptop is very nice and quick. what can i do now?
is there a way to solve this problem?
i'm very glad if there is a solution for me.
thanks in advance!
paul otter

Chris Mullins

Hi
I think you need to switch keyboard layout to Desktop if you have a numpad connected. You say the digits work with numlock off but surely numlock needs to be on for the digits to work and numlock needs to be off for keys to operate NVDA. Also check that the "use insert key as an NVDA modifier" is checked.

Cheers
Chris

it is very quick, and nvda is installed and works properly.
most of the time on laptops you can press and hold the fn key to
navigate around the screen with nvda.
but not here. the fn key works here only for the F-keys to change sound,
screen, etc with fn key is pressed.
what i want is to use j k l, u i o etc to navigate around the screen
with nvda.
there is also no numlock key.

i've tryed it with an sweex number pad.
the digits are working correct with numlock off.
but when i've pressed numlock on, the only thing i can do is a left
mouse click and a right mouse click.
but the digits are not used as nvda navigate keys.

so the laptop is very nice and quick. what can i do now?
is there a way to solve this problem?
i'm very glad if there is a solution for me.
thanks in advance!
paul otter

Gene

Also, I don't know anything about the brand of numpad being used.  I'd try others if possible.  This sounds to me as though it’s a problem with the numpad not being compatible.  Are there any electronic stores near you where you can test different ones?

Also, you may get an answer about the fn key but it may be necessary to look at the manual.  You may be able to find it online if it isn't available on your computer.  I don't know if Dell support might provide the information.

[...]

yes, that's the case.
paul otter

Op 28-4-2018 om 10:07 schreef Chris via Groups.Io:

[...]

hello, i wrote already, i have connected a numberic keypad on the usb.
when i press numlock off, the digits are perfectly written.
when i press numlock on, the only thing i can do is left and right mouse click, and that's it.
the numberic keys i cann't use for navigation around the screen.
perhaps i have bought the wrong one.
if that is the case, tell me what keypad i need if you know.
because it is a very nice and quick laptop i want to do anything to get it work with nvda.
thanks in advance
paul otter

Op 28-4-2018 om 10:28 schreef Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io:

Use the laptop layout or buy a numeric keypad?
Have we not had this issue before. its precisely why if I get a new laptop not only do I want the function keys to be defaulted to function keys, but I want a keypad as well.
I have an old dell without one and got so  peed off I eventually plugged in a keyboard.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "P. Otter" <pam.otter@...>
it is very quick, and nvda is installed and works properly.
most of the time on laptops you can press and hold the fn key to navigate around the screen with nvda.
but not here. the fn key works here only for the F-keys to change sound, screen, etc with fn key is pressed.
what i want is to use j k l, u i o etc to navigate around the screen with nvda.
there is also no numlock key.

i've tryed it with an sweex number pad.
the digits are working correct with numlock off.
but when i've pressed numlock on, the only thing i can do is a left mouse click and a right mouse click.
but the digits are not used as nvda navigate keys.

so the laptop is very nice and quick. what can i do now?
is there a way to solve this problem?
i'm very glad if there is a solution for me.
thanks in advance!
paul otter

George McCoy <slr1bpz@...>

I wound up with a laptop that did the same kind of thing. I switched NVDA to the laptop keyboard layout and, after a short learning period, I was able to do everything I did before. So you might want to try out the laptop layout and see what happens.

Best of luck,
George

[...]

Hi Paul
You have not said what keyboard layout and NVDA modifiers are selected in the NVDA keyboard layout screen (NVDA+Control+k)

Cheers
Chris

[...]

i've done already, but the problem is that i can not navigate around the screen like i do with the numberic key block on my computer.
all the other things are possible i know there are some laptops where you can press the fn key while typing the letters jkl uio and 789 to manipulate the screen.
but it's a pitty, not here unfortunately!
 cheers paul otter

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 2:08 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

.

P. Otter

i've tryed both, desktop and laptop.
with the same result... nothing at all.
cheers
paul otter

Op 28-4-2018 om 18:55 schreef Chris Mullins:

[...]

Suzy

Hi Paul,

If you are using NVDA with the laptop layout on a Dell computer, you can navigate the screen with the arrow keys. I have never used the FN key with letters to do this. In fact, an NVDA modifier is not necessary.
Left or Right Arrows read the screen letter by letter.
Add Control to the left and right arrow keys and read the screen word by word.
Up or Down arrows read the screen line by line.
FN + Left Arrow is Home.
FN + Right Arrow is End.
FN + Up Arrow is Page Up.
FN + Down Arrow is Page Down.
Add Control to the Home or End commands above to move to the top or the bottom of the screen.
And finally, add Shift to the above commands to select text.

I've used these commands on Asus, Toshiba, Dell, and Lenovo laptops.

Each of these computers differ on how to make the Function Keys work without using the FN key. Look on line or read your manual to learn how to do it.

Hope this helps.
Suzy

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 2:08 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Those aren't screen review commands.  Those are commands to move and read information on a screen such as in a word processing program where a cursor is present.  Such commands are Windows commands and will work regardless of screen-reader being used and regardless of keyboard layout. If a sighted person uses such commands with no screen-reader being used, the sighted person will move the cursor in the same ways, right and left arrow, by character, control right and left arrow, by word., etc.

i've done already, but the problem is that i can not navigate around the screen like i do with the numberic key block on my computer.
all the other things are possible i know there are some laptops where you can press the fn key while typing the letters jkl uio and 789 to manipulate the screen.
but it's a pitty, not here unfortunately!
  cheers paul otter

Op 28-4-2018 om 17:25 schreef George McCoy:
> I wound up with a laptop that did the same kind of thing.  I switched
> NVDA to the laptop keyboard layout and, after a short learning period,
> I was able to do everything I did before.  So you might want to try
> out the laptop layout and see what happens.
>
> Best of luck,
> George
>
> -----Original Message----- From: P. Otter
> Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 2:08 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: [nvda] what can i do please help
>
> hello all,
> i've a problem with my laptop.
> it is a dell inspiron 14Z5423.
> it is very quick, and nvda is installed and works properly.
> most of the time on laptops you can press and hold the fn key to
> navigate around the screen with nvda.
> but not here. the fn key works here only for the F-keys to change
> sound, screen, etc with fn key is pressed.
> what i want is to use j k l, u i o etc to navigate around the screen
> with nvda.
> there is also no numlock key.
>
> i've tryed it with an sweex number pad.
> the digits are working correct with numlock off.
> but when i've pressed numlock on, the only thing i can do is a left
> mouse click and a right mouse click.
> but the digits are not used as nvda navigate keys.
>
> so the laptop is very nice and quick. what can i do now?
> is there a way to solve this problem?
> i'm very glad if there is a solution for me.
> thanks in advance!
> paul otter
>

> .

P. Otter

that's working great!
i'm glad you tell me.
i'll try it out and if i have questions about this i write you!
thanks!
paul otter

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 2:08 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

I don't know how generalizable these fn commands are.  Commands such as control left arrow, control right arrow, left arrow and right arrow are Windows commands.  the fn commands being discussed may be manufacturer or model specific commands.  Others with more knowledge will, I hope discuss this, but I wouldn't assume they are standard commands without more information.  I question how widespread these fn commands are used, especially since control home is top of document and control end is end of document.  As far as I know, NVDA, using the laptop computer keyboard layout, doesn't use any fn combination keys.  these are all computer commands and I wouldn't assume they are standardized.  the other commands listed in Suzie's message, control home, control end, etc. are all Windows commands and are standardized.  they are commands for working in edit fields.  they are not necessarily commands for working in other places such as in lists and where they are used in other contexts, they have other functions than in documents.

You said you want to use screen review commands.  these commands are entirely different from the commands now being discussed.  They are NVDA commands for reviewing the screen.  If you have a laptop where fn and the letter keys you discussed do review the screen, such as fn j, k, l, that's because you are simulating the numpad number keys with those combinations and you are simulating those keys as though the numlock were not on.  So you are executing NVDA review commands.  Numpad 8, for example, is say current line.  What you want to do is use fn and a letter key on the right side of the keyboard to execute that numpad key.  I can't tell how much of what I'm saying you know but I'm going into all this to avoid confusion if you don't know all this.

i'll try it out and if i have questions about this i write you!
thanks!
paul otter

Op 29-4-2018 om 01:32 schreef Suzy:
> Hi Paul,
>
> If you are using NVDA with the laptop layout on a Dell computer, you can navigate the screen with the arrow keys. I have never used the FN key with letters to do this. In fact, an NVDA modifier is not necessary.
> Left or Right Arrows read the screen letter by letter.
> Add Control to the left and right arrow keys and read the screen word by word.
> Up or Down arrows read the screen line by line.
> FN + Left Arrow is Home.
> FN + Right Arrow is End.
> FN + Up Arrow is Page Up.
> FN + Down Arrow is Page Down.
> Add Control to the Home or End commands above to move to the top or the bottom of the screen.
> And finally, add Shift to the above commands to select text.
>
> I've used these commands on Asus, Toshiba, Dell, and Lenovo laptops.
>
> Each of these computers differ on how to make the Function Keys work without using the FN key. Look on line or read your manual to learn how to do it.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Suzy

Sarah k Alawami

I actually have laptop mode on my laptop with a number pad and the number pad still works with the navigation keys when I need it to.

On Apr 28, 2018, at 6:18 AM, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:

[...]

I believe that with mine I had to use the fn key to access pg up and pg dn.. But that's it really. Over all I never have had to touch my fn key.

Take care

On Apr 28, 2018, at 6:43 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> [...]

> Left or Right Arrows read the screen letter by letter.
> Add Control to the left and right arrow keys and read the screen word by word.
> Up or Down arrows read the screen line by line.
> FN + Left Arrow is Home.
> FN + Right Arrow is End.
> FN + Up Arrow is Page Up.
> FN + Down Arrow is Page Down.
> Add Control to the Home or End commands above to move to the top or the bottom of the screen.
> And finally, add Shift to the above commands to select text.
>
> I've used these commands on Asus, Toshiba, Dell, and Lenovo laptops.
>
> Each of these computers differ on how to make the Function Keys work without using the FN key. Look on line or read your manual to learn how to do it.

Brian's Mail list account

Exactly, and trying to do this on a keyboard with no numeric pad can be a challenge. also on a lot of Dels some other keys are two keypresses. Things like the right windows key is often missing I found.
If you use several machines and one is a laptop with no keypad my brain usually gets confused!
[...]

I cannot say I've ever found any numpads people have plugged in that don't actually work though. Normally they do in my experience, but to be honest I'm using a cheap normal keyboard with that machine.
[...]

Yeah the hp my aunt has is like that.

Its a real pain in the but.

I need a propper keyboard.

While at home at least I have a gaming keyboard.

On the road thats another matter.

Of course if I get something that needs a bluetooth board I will use that but still.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Mullins" <cjmullins29@...>