NVDA from bed

John J. Boyer

Hello,

because of problemds with my legs and feet (I'll be 82 in July.) I have to keep my fet elevated most of the time. I have
a hospital bed for that porpose. I'm loking for a small and light lapotop on which I could install NVDA and a ssh
program to access the Linux machines on my network. Which ssh program works best with NVDA? I am deaf-blind, so I will
be using a Focus 14 Braille display. I know
this works through USB. Can NVDA handle a bluetooth connection? The ssh program will be used to access my Linux
maschines. I will use the laptop for accessing my Twitter account with EasyChirp. It will be connected to my router
through wi-fi.

Thanks for any suggestions,
John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...

Brian's Mail list account

I'm not sure about the control of linux machines, but have you maybe considered a normal desktop with radio keyboard or even a wire linked one. I certainly do this in my bed. One could easily have it within reach of the bed to turn it on or off and also feed it through decent speakers and use it for audio as well. If its a quiet pc, which many now are, then its ideal and less prone to issues than laptops of any power. No problems keeping it cool either.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Pranav Lal

Hi John,

Try secure CRT for the best experience. If not, then teraterm or putty.

Pranav

Rob Hudson <rob_hudson_3182@...>

Pranav Lal <pranav.lal@...> wrote:
Try secure CRT for the best experience. If not, then teraterm or putty.

Or even Cygwin. That is what I use.

Ervin, Glenn

I cannot speak to the Deafness aspects, but I use both Jaws and NVDA and Putty is a good SSH program for this.
I connect to my Raspberry PI that way.
Glenn

[...]

David Griffith

I am currently typing this with my legs elevated on a normal reclining chair purchased from Ikea about 10 years ago.

I am using an extended “Mechanical” keyboard on my lap connected to a PC by USB which is over to my right housed in a cupboard. I am receiving feedback through headpones connected via cable extension to this machine.

There is a monitor on top of the cupboard  over to my right connected as well but this is only ever turned on if there is an access issue  for which somebody else’s eyes are needed.

So essentially the vast majority of my work  and blogging on a PC is conducted just with this keyboard and my headphones and the majority of this time I also have my legs elevated because of medical advice.

Sadly I am having to do this at the age of 62 so I think you have done really well to only encounter this issue now.

This setup assumes you do not need to use sight and can rely on screen reading and or braille for feedback.

David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog