Saving NVDA Configuration Settings

Jolene Cardenas

Hello Gene,

Thank you so much for your detailed response!

I just checked the settings now and ESpeak is my synth, but there's
another choice besides No Speak: Microsoft Speech (something) 5.

Yes, I did uninstall and then reinstall NVDA and had actually removed
the NVDA files from my Profile subfolders before reinstalling it,
thinking that that would make the reinstall a clean one, but it didn't
work.

As for setting NVDA back to defalt once I reinstalled it, I didn't try
it yet but will do so tomorrow morning (Hawaii Time) and see if it
would work. I sure hope it does!

Take care, and have a good day.

aloha,

Jolene.

Kenny Dog <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Jolene.

I am using windows 10 on all of my machines and donot have this problem when saving a configuration. Out of curosity what synth package are you using? It may be a buggy add on doing it if that is the case you might be able to disable them and see if you can save your configuration after that..Is there a dialogue box still open when you go to save your settings? I am aware there is a buggy synth add on that will do that.

If so does it still do it if you say change to the E speak syth package?

At the worst it may be a good idea to reset nvda back to factory defaults and this will usually fix the problem. Some times if that does not do it then a complete uninstall of nvda plus the section under %appdata% and the nvda folder taken out will usually do the trick, but I don't think you would have to go that far.

Gene nz

On 25/05/2016 7:59 AM, Jolene Cardenas wrote:
Hello everyone,

For those of you who use NVDA with Windows 10, I have a question to ask you:
Why do you think NVDA won't allow me to save my new configuration
settings whenever I change them and then attempt to save them?

I'm asking because I'd get an error message from NVDA that would read,
"Could not save configuration, probably because read-only file
system."

I never had this problem when I was using Windows 7, yet I run in to
it all the time now in Windows 10.

I thank you in advance for your feedback, and have a good day.

sincerely,

Jolene.

Jolene,

          I don't have any definitive answer, but suggest you either uninstall then reinstall NVDA 2016.1 or else do an "install over" install of NVDA 2016.1 again.

          This sounds like one of those weird, "something didn't go right" with the install NVDA itself, much like I've seen on occasion with JAWS, and typically reinstalling makes the problem go away.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

Jolene Cardenas