From: Angela Delicata
Sent: Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:44 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Windows 10: where do I find updates?

Hi,

The question is all in the subject line: i don't seem to be able to find
them because the location seems to be different from Win 7.

In other words: where are updates located? Where do I have to go in
order to install them? And is there a way to check for updates
automatically and have a notification when they are ready?

Thank you so much.

Angela from Italy

Angela Delicata

Great, I found them: it was easier than I thought.

Thank you.

Ciao

Il 03/05/2018 15:56, Holger Fiallo ha scritto:
Window key i. Tab to security and updates, enter and tab to update.

-----Original Message----- From: Angela Delicata
Sent: Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:44 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi,

The question is all in the subject line: i don't seem to be able to find
them because the location seems to be different from Win 7.

In other words: where are updates located? Where do I have to go in
order to install them? And is there a way to check for updates
automatically and have a notification when they are ready?

Thank you so much.

Angela from Italy

Gene

I don't have Windows 10 but I would think another way would be to use the start menu search to search for Windows updates and, if that doesn't work, something broader like updates.

One of the valuable things about the Windows 7 start menu search and I would think in Windows 10 as well, is that you can search for something such as uninstall programs and find the uninstall option in the results.  So you don't have to know the specific name of what you are looking for, Programs and Features.  The search is designed so that if you search for what you want to do, names are available to the search that show the options such as uninstall a program.

This should, if Windows 10 is organized in the same way, make it much easier to find things without formally knowing the specific Windows name to search for.

Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2018 8:56 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10: where do I find updates?

Window key i. Tab to security and updates, enter and tab to update.

The question is all in the subject line: i don't seem to be able to find
them because the location seems to be different from Win 7.

In other words: where are updates located? Where do I have to go in
order to install them? And is there a way to check for updates
automatically and have a notification when they are ready?

Thank you so much.

Angela from Italy

Angela Delicata

I tried this method, but it did not seem to work well... So, I decided to ask and the suggested procedure of using windows key+ i and going to updates,   worked good.

Thanks anyway for the reply, maybe it was not me being able to make it work using search in the start menu.

Il 03/05/2018 18:01, Gene ha scritto:
[...]

I don't know but I hope that method helps you find other things easily.

I don't know which is easier in Windows 10, using methods like that described by the other person or this method.

Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2018 11:15 AM

I tried this method, but it did not seem to work well... So, I decided
to ask and the suggested procedure of using windows key+ i and going to
updates,   worked good.

Thanks anyway for the reply, maybe it was not me being able to make it
work using search in the start menu.

Il 03/05/2018 18:01, Gene ha scritto:
> I don't have Windows 10 but I would think another way would be to use the start menu search to search for Windows updates and, if that doesn't work, something broader like updates.
>
> One of the valuable things about the Windows 7 start menu search and I would think in Windows 10 as well, is that you can search for something such as uninstall programs and find the uninstall option in the results.  So you don't have to know the specific name of what you are looking for, Programs and Features.  The search is designed so that if you search for what you want to do, names are available to the search that show the options such as uninstall a program.
>
> This should, if Windows 10 is organized in the same way, make it much easier to find things without formally knowing the specific Windows name to search for.
>
> Gene

Hi,

Search method still works, although one must be careful that English terms are not used on all languages. I usually use the Settings app method for this task.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2018 11:15 AM

I tried this method, but it did not seem to work well... So, I decided
to ask and the suggested procedure of using windows key+ i and going to
updates,   worked good.

Thanks anyway for the reply, maybe it was not me being able to make it
work using search in the start menu.

Il 03/05/2018 18:01, Gene ha scritto:
> I don't have Windows 10 but I would think another way would be to use the start menu search to search for Windows updates and, if that doesn't work, something broader like updates.
>
> One of the valuable things about the Windows 7 start menu search and I would think in Windows 10 as well, is that you can search for something such as uninstall programs and find the uninstall option in the results.  So you don't have to know the specific name of what you are looking for, Programs and Features.  The search is designed so that if you search for what you want to do, names are available to the search that show the options such as uninstall a program.
>
> This should, if Windows 10 is organized in the same way, make it much easier to find things without formally knowing the specific Windows name to search for.
>
> Gene

Annette Moore

the search option is my best friend. LOL! I couldn't tell you where a lot of things are in windows 10 and I've had it for nearly a year now, but I do--most of the time--find everything I want with the search option. I probably should learn my way around, but it's just so easy to do a search and find what I want that way. the other day, someone was recommending that I go and look at my privacy settings because that's what she does after doing a major windows update, and I found them by doing the search. I love it, but I can also see where some might not like it as well because when I do the search for, say, Windows update, sometimes I have to keep arrowing and the check for updates option sort of hides on me. I eventually do see it, though.

Annette

Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2018 11:15 AM

I tried this method, but it did not seem to work well... So, I decided
to ask and the suggested procedure of using windows key+ i and going to
updates,   worked good.

Thanks anyway for the reply, maybe it was not me being able to make it
work using search in the start menu.

Il 03/05/2018 18:01, Gene ha scritto:
> I don't have Windows 10 but I would think another way would be to use the start menu search to search for Windows updates and, if that doesn't work, something broader like updates.
>
> One of the valuable things about the Windows 7 start menu search and I would think in Windows 10 as well, is that you can search for something such as uninstall programs and find the uninstall option in the results.  So you don't have to know the specific name of what you are looking for, Programs and Features.  The search is designed so that if you search for what you want to do, names are available to the search that show the options such as uninstall a program.
>
> This should, if Windows 10 is organized in the same way, make it much easier to find things without formally knowing the specific Windows name to search for.
>
> Gene

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

It’s a perfectly fine way of using Windows. I use the search box and the run command with almost equal frequency. I almost never use the menus anymore. My brain has pretty much defaulted to the standard of giving a path/directory structure when someone asks where something is in Windows, which is not necessarily how they think as they often use the menus. The thing is, those can be changed; programs can be moved around in different groups and such without actually changing their locations on the drive, so telling someone where to find a particular application using Windows menus is not necessarily going to be totally useful.

Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2018 11:15 AM

I tried this method, but it did not seem to work well... So, I decided
to ask and the suggested procedure of using windows key+ i and going to
updates,   worked good.

Thanks anyway for the reply, maybe it was not me being able to make it
work using search in the start menu.

Il 03/05/2018 18:01, Gene ha scritto:
> I don't have Windows 10 but I would think another way would be to use the start menu search to search for Windows updates and, if that doesn't work, something broader like updates.
>
> One of the valuable things about the Windows 7 start menu search and I would think in Windows 10 as well, is that you can search for something such as uninstall programs and find the uninstall option in the results.  So you don't have to know the specific name of what you are looking for, Programs and Features.  The search is designed so that if you search for what you want to do, names are available to the search that show the options such as uninstall a program.
>
> This should, if Windows 10 is organized in the same way, make it much easier to find things without formally knowing the specific Windows name to search for.
>
> Gene

Chris Mullins

Hi Angela
Windows updates are applied automatically if you're on a Home version of
Windows 10. I think the Pro editions have some limited control but I don't
know to what level this is. Essentially I just leave it to sort itself out.

Cheers
Chris

Window key i. Tab to security and updates, enter and tab to update.

The question is all in the subject line: i don't seem to be able to find
them because the location seems to be different from Win 7.

In other words: where are updates located? Where do I have to go in
order to install them? And is there a way to check for updates
automatically and have a notification when they are ready?

Thank you so much.

Angela from Italy

Monte Single

Hi Chris and all,

I am running win 10 pro. Once in a while it says it is downloadingand
installing updates.
It is still at 1709.
Should I care or not. I think win 10 is at 1803.
Well, I care a little but not enough to take any rash actions..

Window key i. Tab to security and updates, enter and tab to update.

The question is all in the subject line: i don't seem to be able to find
them because the location seems to be different from Win 7.

In other words: where are updates located? Where do I have to go in
order to install them? And is there a way to check for updates
automatically and have a notification when they are ready?

Thank you so much.

Angela from Italy

Angela Delicata

I did not seem to receive updates automatically, but maybe I did and had not realized it... One thing is when I when to settings and updates, like some  one here suggested, I found few  updates still pending.

Anyway, thank you to all who repied: it is amazing how responsive and helpful this list is.

Ciao.
Angela from Italy

Il 03/05/2018 23:46, Chris Mullins ha scritto:
Hi Angela
Windows updates are applied automatically if you're on a Home version of
Windows 10. I think the Pro editions have some limited control but I don't
know to what level this is. Essentially I just leave it to sort itself out.

Cheers
Chris

Window key i. Tab to security and updates, enter and tab to update.

The question is all in the subject line: i don't seem to be able to find
them because the location seems to be different from Win 7.

In other words: where are updates located? Where do I have to go in
order to install them? And is there a way to check for updates
automatically and have a notification when they are ready?

Thank you so much.

Angela from Italy

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Hi all, listening to Jonathan Mozen today he is advising caution on the April update.
Issues:
Lock ups in Google Chrome
Problems in some laptops of fan running madly and battery life down by 50 percent. Possible device driver issue.
Of courst the well known Avast issue which I see has been mentioned here as well. Might be worth putting off the update if the machine is being used as a critical systm.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Window key i. Tab to security and updates, enter and tab to update.

The question is all in the subject line: i don't seem to be able to find
them because the location seems to be different from Win 7.

In other words: where are updates located? Where do I have to go in
order to install them? And is there a way to check for updates
automatically and have a notification when they are ready?

Thank you so much.

Angela from Italy

Chris Mullins

Hi
Don't worry, it will bea a phased release so that servers around the world
do not get over-loaded The update will arrive in it's own good time.

Cheers

Chris.