From: "juan gonzalez" <jgonzalezh614@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2018 3:14 PM
Subject: [nvda] Blank lines

Good day all! Is there a way to turn off NVDA announcing blank when navigating with the arrow keys every time it comes upon a blank line? It seems to not announce blank lines when doing the read all command which is what I prefer. I remember back in Window-Eyes day. It came with such a feature. If NVDA has no such feature where can I request it?

Ronald J Glaser

I second this one if it is not already possible. to do this.

--
a friend like  You
Makes The Day Go Right!

juan gonzalez <jgonzalezh614@...>

The only indication I need is for NVDA not to speak. Then I would know that there is nothing there. It would be better if NVDA could just bypass blank lines all together and just focus on the content. Of course there are those people who need NVDA to announce "blank" so having a way to turn on and off the feature would be nice. I will look in the dictionary to see if I can find that setting.

How would you know if it was a blank line if it did not say so?
This seems to be spoken when you cursor down on a line with just a line feed on it. If you cursor left you do hear line feed, so the decision seems to be in the way you bypass the line feed. I'd have thought this option should perhaps be in punctuation and symbols, but on the other hand it would be better perhaps in the object description dialogue so it could be used by a profile easier?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
Good day all! Is there a way to turn off NVDA announcing blank when
navigating with the arrow keys every time it comes upon a blank line? It
seems to not announce blank lines when doing the read all command which is
what I prefer. I remember back in Window-Eyes day. It came with such a
feature. If NVDA has no such feature where can I request it?

Brian's Mail list account

Its not in the symbols list. I suspect its got to do with how say all works.
[...]

Giles Turnbull

Because I use NVDA in writing groups where I sometimes want to go line by line rather than say all, I use a work around. If you press tab at the start of that blank line than NVDA doesn't say anything when you tab from one line of text, past the blank line, and then it reads the next line of text as normal.

Ifg you arrow up back onto the blank line and press right arrow then you'll hear “carriage return” and if you press the left arrow on it you'll hear “Tab” but to all intents and purposes you have a blank line which NVDA does not say anything for.

Hope that might help you a little :)

Giles

Gene

If you are going to use this method, don't save the document when exiting or you will save unintended tabs in the document.

It may well be that the best thing to do is to make the word blank not be spoken by using the speech dictionary for that purpose.  But don't forget that if you do, the word won't ever be spoken so if you are reading a sentence such as, "His mind went blank." you won't hear the word blank.

Gene

----- Original Message -----You have placed a tab in the line or you may have changed the margin by placing a character in the text that changes it.

Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2018 10:12 AM

Because I use NVDA in writing groups where I sometimes want to go line by line rather than say all, I use a work around. If you press tab at the start of that blank line than NVDA doesn't say anything when you tab from one line of text, past the blank line, and then it reads the next line of text as normal.

Ifg you arrow up back onto the blank line and press right arrow then you'll hear “carriage return” and if you press the left arrow on it you'll hear “Tab” but to all intents and purposes you have a blank line which NVDA does not say anything for.

Hope that might help you a little :)

Giles

Jonathan COHN

Could this be enforced a bit with using regular expressions. A caret  indicates the beginning of line and a dollar sign indicates end of line, so the regular expression “^$” is usually used to indicate a blank line. It might be that you need to add one or two periods between the caret and the dollar sign to indicate line feeds or carriage returns though it is also possible that Python handles handling different line endings internally.

Jonathan Cohn

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Gene <gsasner@...>
Date: Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 12:01 PM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>