Adobe Flash Player with NVDA

Jolene Cardenas

Hello everyone,

Adobe Flash Player is preventing me from tuning in to the local news
online on such sites as:

KITV:
http://www.kitv.com/category/305776/live-stream

KHON2:
http://khon2.com/live-stream/

I had contacted these TV stations to report the technical
difficulties, and both Webmasters had told me that their live streams
were working properly.

Just a recap: My laptop's operating system is Windows 10, my Web
browser is Firefox, and of course I use NVDA as my screen-reader.

So my questions are these:
1. How user-friendly is Adobe Flash Player with NVDA?
2. What could be causing Adobe Flash Player to play live Webcasts on
some sites but not on others?
3. Is there a way for me to troubleshoot Adobe Flash Player without
uninstalling and reinstalling it?

Thanks so much for your folks' help, and have a good day.

sincerely,

Jolene.

Lino Morales

Aloha. What version of Flash are you running? V 21 is the current version. I wonder if they have any embeded objects? If so hit the letter O and hit enter. If you hit tab and non of the controls read it won't work. You'll hear embeded object unavailable. I'll have a look at the sites. You are several hours behind me don't know what time the newscasts start. I'll cheat and use Seri on my iPod.

On 5/24/2016 11:15 PM, Jolene Cardenas wrote:
[...]

Arlene

Hi, do you have IE on your laptop computer? Is your flash player up to date? That may be your problem. I'm using windows 7. Have you updated adobbyplayer? I'll try it with my 7 box. If it doesn't work for me. it may be because I'm in Canada. Some t.v channels in America don’t work for me because I'm in Canada.

[...]

Sorry!I'm in Canada! Tit wont work for me! I'm on Pacific time! I think it's 5 for you cause it's after 8 for me!

[...]

Hey Joleen. Both KITV and KHON play straight away. Sounds like its gonna heat up their. I heard both streams and bother weather reports LOL!

[...]

Lino! You're better off to try her channels! I did and they are not available in my area! I can't confirm her problem all the way because I reside in Canada! I'm 3 hours ahead of her. I don’t know what time zone you are on. I'm on Pacific!

[...]

Hi Lino! I'm glad it worked for you! However, it didn't work for me! I know flash works on other t.v channels that are available for me. But not Jolene's.

[...]

To be honest I havn't had issue, but I have tried say to update flash or shockwave and such, and well it works, thing is if it works for some sites and not others than its the sites rendering of flash which is bad.
Saying that, html5 is what a lot of things support now or at least should do so or direct playback via audio players.

On 25/05/2016 3:15 p.m., Jolene Cardenas wrote:
[...]

.

Jolene Cardenas

Hello!

Thank you'all so much for your responses to this query, for I enjoyed
reading them to the max! :)

Yes, I do have the latest Adobe Flash Player installed because I had
just updated it a few days ago.

Here's another interesting thing: Whenever I go on Youtube, it plays
Youtube videos just fine!
Yet I don't understand why it won't play Webcasts on some sites but
not others--especially the 2 I had shared--and I'm missing out on my
local news and weather so much and have been for, well, almost a month
now!
If a major earthquake was to hit the Alleutian Islands and generate a
big tsunami for the Hawaiian Islands, for instance, I'd be sorely
uninformed.

As far as time zones go, Hawaii is 3 hours behind Pacific Time:
California, Oregon, the state of Washington, etc., so I don't know if
Adobe Flash Player's weird behavior is caused by this or not.

Anyway, thanks so much for the responses!

aloha,

Jolene.

Robert Mendoza

,Hi Jolene.

Do you have any chance to update or download Adobe Shockwave and install it to your machine. Then, let us know if this will suffice your problem.

Robert Mendoza
On 5/25/2016 2:36 PM, Jolene Cardenas wrote:

[...]

Thats a point, I got a message from firefox to update shockwave director yesterday and did so downloading the slim version for the brouser.

On 25/05/2016 7:01 p.m., Robert Mendoza wrote:
[...]

Stephen

I've seen this happen with the grease monkey extention for firefox and the kill windowless flash addon, you might want to try temporarily disabling it and browse to the affected sight and see if it works this time.

At 01:15 PM 5/25/2016, you wrote:
[...]

On the bbc sight I often find the flash object missing and several refreshes later nvda caan suddenly find it. I have no idea why this should be but it seems confined to Firefox not IE, however in IE you do not seem to be able to read the button and control names but it works.
I've had most luck with the betas of flash not the release one, as for shockwave. I always updat this when prompted, though to be honest I've no idea what the impact on flash is.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Gene

The version of Flash very likely is irrelevant.  Flash should be kept updated for security reasons but older versions of Flash should be able to play Flash content.

There is an embedded object and if you need to use it, try the following:
open it with the letter o.
Then, if you are using the desktop layout for the keyboard, which is the default, route the mouse to the object with the command numpad insert numpad slash.  Then click the object with the command numpad slash.

See if the stream plays.

I'm not sure if the stream would have played if I had waited a little longer and done nothing but it played after I followed this procedure.  I didn't tell you the conventional procedure of working with embedded objects because the procedure I gave may work when the conventional method doesn't.  You should know the conventional method as well in case one works where another doesn't.  There are times when it is very difficult, perhaps not possible, to work with an embedded Flash object because of the design of the player but this appears not to be one.

Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 10:19 PM

Aloha. What version of Flash are you running? V 21 is the current
version. I wonder if they have any embeded objects? If so hit the letter
O and hit enter. If you hit tab and non of the controls read it won't
work. You'll hear embeded object unavailable. I'll have a look at the
sites. You are several hours behind me don't know what time the
newscasts start. I'll cheat and use Seri on my iPod.

On 5/24/2016 11:15 PM, Jolene Cardenas wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Adobe Flash Player is preventing me from tuning in to the local news
> online on such sites as:
>
> KITV:
> http://www.kitv.com/category/305776/live-stream
>
> KHON2:
> http://khon2.com/live-stream/
>
> I had contacted these TV stations to report the technical
> difficulties, and both Webmasters had told me that their live streams
> were working properly.
>
> Just a recap: My laptop's operating system is Windows 10, my Web
> browser is Firefox, and of course I use NVDA as my screen-reader.
>
> So my questions are these:
> 1. How user-friendly is Adobe Flash Player with NVDA?
> 2. What could be causing Adobe Flash Player to play live Webcasts on
> some sites but not on others?
> 3. Is there a way for me to troubleshoot Adobe Flash Player without
> uninstalling and reinstalling it?
>
> Thanks so much for your folks' help, and have a good day.
>
> sincerely,
>
> Jolene.

Peter Beasley

I have a similar problem with the BBC. I can use internet explorer or google Chrome without any problem. Usin Firefox, what I do as a work around is go to the link, turn off NVDA, click on the link, and when it starts playing, I turn NVDA back on. Noone seems to know what the problem is with NVDA Firefox and Adobe flash.

[...]

The proper Flash player is already being used.  I don't know what accounts for the problem.

Genne

[...]

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Jolene,

I am very interested in your topic as I am currently writing a tutorial for users of the BorrowBox digital library service in which Adobe Flash comes in to playing a preview of an audio book. I can forward my recent discussion on this and the solution to it if that would be of interest?

There is a good deal of discussion between NVDA technical team members on getting NVDA to work with the embedded objects in Adobe Flash.
These are known as windowless objects and JAWS, for instance cannot see them at all in FireFox but can see them but has difficulty keeping focus on them in Internet Explorer.

NVDA gets around this by labelling the embedded oject as unavailable and using the NVDA+numpad divide (to move the mouse pointer to the current navigator object) followed by numpad divide on its own which emulates a left mouse clikc.

I wonder if you could try this solution and see if it gives you access to the player?

I have tried your two links with NVDA and Firefox on windows 10 (all latest versions) and found the following:
KITV:
http://www.kitv.com/category/305776/live-stream
This stream started playing and sounding in the speakers as soon as I opened the link in Firefox.

KHON2:
http://khon2.com/live-stream/
This link did not start and a typical part of the screen showed this:

" SEARCH THE SITE
Live Stream"

Then NVDA said:
iFrame 'embedded Object unavailable' and then 'Out of iFrame' after I pressed down-arrow once.
The stream did not start playing automatically like the first one. However, I pressed NVDA+numpad divide and then numpad divide alone and it did start to play. Another numpad divide stopped it. While NVDA is reporting the embedded object, the screen is reporting "blank" under the active cursor.

With these work-around techniques , both streams are working on what appears to be a similar system configuration to yours.

What do you think?

All the best,

Cearbhall

I use the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam. The Professional version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.

[...]

Peter,

I recently Google the words: "embedded object flash NVDA Firefox" and found that there are very good descriptions of what the problem is. The NVDA work-around is to focus on the spot where NVDA reports "Embedded Object unavailable" and then NVDA+numpad divide followed by numpad divide by itself. You can either arrow down to the embedded bject (tab won't find it because it is really not visible on the screen) or you can use the quick key "o" to find the object. This works in Firefox, IE and Google Chrome.

[...]

Also, I just tested the second link you provided.  That is,
I am testing on a rather slow, rather old computer.  But it may be of value to note that the stream took longer to play than most streams do and so, if that is the case on a faster modern computer, I would suggest waiting longer to see what happens.  Perhaps thirty or forty seconds.  It appears to me that you don't need to do anything on either of the sites you provided to get audio to play.  try waiting as a test for about forty seconds on each of these links.  You may have some sort of problem but I suspect some links take longer to play than you may expect because of the amount of information necessary to finish buffering or perhaps a good many redirections are occurring.

If you don't see any error message on screen, those may be why you have to wait longer than expected..

Gene