Subject: Re: [nvda] Adobe Flash Player with NVDA
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 6:47 AM

Jolene,

I am very interested in your
topic as I am currently writing a tutorial for users of the
BorrowBox digital library service in which Adobe Flash comes
in to playing a preview of an audio book. I can forward my
recent discussion on this and the solution to it if that
would be of interest?

There
is a good deal of discussion between NVDA technical team
members on getting NVDA to work with the embedded objects in
Adobe Flash.
These are known as windowless
objects and JAWS, for instance cannot see them at all in
FireFox but can see them but has difficulty keeping focus on
them in Internet Explorer.

NVDA gets around this by labelling the embedded
oject as unavailable and using the NVDA+numpad divide (to
move the mouse pointer to the current navigator object)
followed by  numpad divide on its own which emulates a left
mouse clikc.

I wonder if
you could try this solution and see if it gives you access
to the player?

I have tried
your two links with NVDA and Firefox on windows 10 (all
latest versions) and found the following:
KITV:
http://www.kitv.com/category/305776/live-stream
This stream started playing and sounding in the
speakers as soon as I opened the link in Firefox.

KHON2:
http://khon2.com/live-stream/
This link did not start and a typical part of
the screen showed this:

" SEARCH THE SITE
Live
Stream"

Then NVDA
said:
iFrame 'embedded Object
unavailable' and then 'Out of iFrame' after I
pressed down-arrow once.
The stream did not
start playing automatically like the first one.  However, I
pressed NVDA+numpad divide and then numpad divide alone and
it did start to play. Another numpad divide stopped it.
While NVDA is reporting the embedded object, the screen is
reporting "blank" under the active cursor.

With these work-around
techniques , both streams are working on what appears to be
a similar system configuration to yours.

What do you think?

All the best,

Cearbhall

+353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie

I use the free version of Spam Reader to get
rid of spam. The Professional version doesn't have this
disclaimer in outgoing emails.
Try Spam
Reader (http://www.spam-reader.com) for free
now!

-----Original
Message-----

[...]

Laurie Mehta

Thanks Andre and I will read the user guide as you suggest.
(smile)
-LM

Subject: Re: question: laptop equivalent for NVDA+numpad divide /was/ [nvda] Adobe Flash Player with NVDA
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 3:25 PM

The laptop equivalent to

wrote:
> Hello,

I've read with interest about performing certain
functions with NVDA.
> Two key
combinations have been recommended, for example,
> NVDA+numpad divide and just the numpad
divide  alone.

have a laptop that has no numpad and am hoping that someone
can let me
> know what the laptop
keyboard equivalent is for these key combinations and
> for other mouse clicking equivalents, if
any that I can use with my laptop
> that
has no numpad?

> (I
already know about using shift+F10 to do the "right
click" or
> applications key
function.)
> Thanks!

-LM

> On Wed, 5/25/16, Cearbhall O'Meadhra
<cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie>
wrote:

Re: [nvda] Adobe Flash Player with NVDA
>  To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>  Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 6:47
AM

>  Jolene,
>
>  I am very
interested in your
>  topic as I am
currently writing a tutorial for users of the
>  BorrowBox digital library service in
which Adobe Flash comes
>  in to playing
a preview of an audio book. I can forward my
>  recent discussion on this and the
solution to it if that
>  would be of
interest?

There
>  is a good deal of discussion
between NVDA technical team
>  members
on getting NVDA to work with the embedded objects in
>  Adobe Flash.

These are known as windowless
>  objects
and JAWS, for instance cannot see them at all in
>  FireFox but can see them but has
difficulty keeping focus on
>  them in
Internet Explorer.

>  NVDA gets around this by labelling the
embedded
>  oject as unavailable and
using the NVDA+numpad divide (to
>  move
the mouse pointer to the current navigator object)
>  followed by  numpad divide on its own
which emulates a left
>  mouse clikc.
>
>  I wonder if
>  you could try this solution and see if
it gives you access
>  to the player?
>
>  I have tried
>  your two links with NVDA and Firefox on
windows 10 (all
>  latest versions) and
found the following:
>  KITV:
http://www.kitv.com/category/305776/live-stream
>  This stream started playing and sounding
in the
>  speakers as soon as I opened
the link in Firefox.

>  KHON2:
http://khon2.com/live-stream/
>  This link did not start and a typical
part of
>  the screen showed this:
>
>  " SEARCH THE
SITE
>  Live

Stream"

>   Then NVDA
>  said:
>  iFrame
'embedded Object
>  unavailable'
and then 'Out of iFrame' after I
>  pressed down-arrow once.
>  The stream did not
>  start playing automatically like the
first one.  However, I
>  pressed
NVDA+numpad divide and then numpad divide alone and
>  it did start to play. Another numpad
divide stopped it.
>  While NVDA is
reporting the embedded object, the screen is
>  reporting "blank" under the
active cursor.

With these work-around

Message-----
May 25, 2016 4:15 AM
>  To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>  Subject: [nvda] Adobe Flash Player with
NVDA

>  Hello
everyone,

>  Adobe
Flash Player is

http://khon2.com/live-stream/

>  I had contacted
these TV
>  stations to report the
technical difficulties, and both

Webmasters had told me that their live streams were
working
>  properly.
>
>  Just a recap: My
>  laptop's operating system is Windows
10, my Web browser
>  is Firefox, and of
course I use NVDA as my screen-reader.

>  So my questions are
these:
>  1. How user-friendly is Adobe
Flash Player with
>  NVDA?
>  2. What could be causing Adobe Flash
>  Player to play live Webcasts on some
sites but not on
>  others?
>  3. Is there a way for me to
>  troubleshoot Adobe Flash Player without
uninstalling and
>  reinstalling it?
>
>  Thanks so
>  much for your folks' help, and have
a good day.

sincerely,

Jolene.

Gene

I'm not sure what the procedure is using the laptop keyboard layout for opening the NVDA menu.  Someone on list should know the command.  There is a quick keys reference in the help submenu.  Once you open the NVDA menu, you can look around and find the help submenu.

Also, there are many good tutorials if you are interested.  I won't discuss them further here unless you or others want more information.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 2:38 PM

 To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
 Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 3:25 PM

 The laptop equivalent to

 wrote:
 > Hello,

 I've read with interest about performing certain
 functions with NVDA.
 > Two key
 combinations have been recommended, for example,
 > NVDA+numpad divide and just the numpad
 divide  alone.

 have a laptop that has no numpad and am hoping that someone
 can let me
 > know what the laptop
 keyboard equivalent is for these key combinations and
 > for other mouse clicking equivalents, if
 any that I can use with my laptop
 > that
 has no numpad?

 > (I
 already know about using shift+F10 to do the "right
 click" or
 > applications key
 function.)

 wrote:

 Re: [nvda] Adobe Flash Player with NVDA
 >  To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
 >  Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 6:47
 AM

 >  Jolene,
 >
 >  I am very
 interested in your
 >  topic as I am
 currently writing a tutorial for users of the
 >  BorrowBox digital library service in
 which Adobe Flash comes
 >  in to playing
 a preview of an audio book. I can forward my
 >  recent discussion on this and the
 solution to it if that
 >  would be of
 interest?

 There
 >  is a good deal of discussion
 between NVDA technical team
 >  members
 on getting NVDA to work with the embedded objects in
 >  Adobe Flash.

 These are known as windowless
 >  objects
 and JAWS, for instance cannot see them at all in
 >  FireFox but can see them but has
 difficulty keeping focus on
 >  them in
 Internet Explorer.

 >  NVDA gets around this by labelling the
 embedded
 >  oject as unavailable and
 using the NVDA+numpad divide (to
 >  move
 the mouse pointer to the current navigator object)
 >  followed by  numpad divide on its own
 which emulates a left
 >  mouse clikc.
 >
 >  I wonder if
 >  you could try this solution and see if
 it gives you access
 >  to the player?
 >
 >  I have tried
 >  your two links with NVDA and Firefox on
 windows 10 (all
 >  latest versions) and
 found the following:
 >  KITV:
 >  http://www.kitv.com/category/305776/live-stream
 >  This stream started playing and sounding
 in the
 >  speakers as soon as I opened
 the link in Firefox.

 >  KHON2:
 >  http://khon2.com/live-stream/
 >  This link did not start and a typical
 part of
 >  the screen showed this:
 >
 >  " SEARCH THE
 SITE
 >  Live

 Stream"

 >   Then NVDA
 >  said:
 >  iFrame
 'embedded Object
 >  unavailable'
 and then 'Out of iFrame' after I
 >  pressed down-arrow once.
 >  The stream did not
 >  start playing automatically like the
 first one.  However, I
 >  pressed
 NVDA+numpad divide and then numpad divide alone and
 >  it did start to play. Another numpad
 divide stopped it.
 >  While NVDA is
 reporting the embedded object, the screen is
 >  reporting "blank" under the
 active cursor.

 With these work-around

 Message-----
 May 25, 2016 4:15 AM
 >  To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
 >  Subject: [nvda] Adobe Flash Player with
 NVDA

 >  Hello
 everyone,

 >  Adobe
 Flash Player is
 >  preventing me from
 tuning in to the local news online on

 such sites as:

 KITV:
 >  http://www.kitv.com/category/305776/live-stream
 >
 >  KHON2:
 >  http://khon2.com/live-stream/
 >
 >  I had contacted
 these TV
 >  stations to report the
 technical difficulties, and both

 Webmasters had told me that their live streams were
 working
 >  properly.
 >
 >  Just a recap: My
 >  laptop's operating system is Windows
 10, my Web browser
 >  is Firefox, and of
 course I use NVDA as my screen-reader.

 >  So my questions are
 these:
 >  1. How user-friendly is Adobe
 Flash Player with
 >  NVDA?
 >  2. What could be causing Adobe Flash
 >  Player to play live Webcasts on some
 sites but not on
 >  others?
 >  3. Is there a way for me to
 >  troubleshoot Adobe Flash Player without
 uninstalling and
 >  reinstalling it?
 >
 >  Thanks so
 >  much for your folks' help, and have
 a good day.

 sincerely,

 Jolene.

Rui Fontes

To access the NVDA menu use CapsLock+N.

Rui

[...]

But to you have to check the check box enabling caps lock as a modifier when using the laptop layout or is that an automatic part of that layout?  I know when using the desktop layout, you have to tab to and check that option in the dialog.

Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 3:25 PM

The laptop equivalent to

wrote:
> Hello,

I've read with interest about performing certain
functions with NVDA.
> Two key
combinations have been recommended, for example,
> NVDA+numpad divide and just the numpad
divide  alone.

have a laptop that has no numpad and am hoping that someone
can let me
> know what the laptop
keyboard equivalent is for these key combinations and
> for other mouse clicking equivalents, if
any that I can use with my laptop
> that
has no numpad?

> (I
already know about using shift+F10 to do the "right
click" or
> applications key
function.)

wrote:

Re: [nvda] Adobe Flash Player with NVDA
>  To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>  Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 6:47
AM

>  Jolene,
>
>  I am very
interested in your
>  topic as I am
currently writing a tutorial for users of the
>  BorrowBox digital library service in
which Adobe Flash comes
>  in to playing
a preview of an audio book. I can forward my
>  recent discussion on this and the
solution to it if that
>  would be of
interest?

There
>  is a good deal of discussion
between NVDA technical team
>  members
on getting NVDA to work with the embedded objects in
>  Adobe Flash.

These are known as windowless
>  objects
and JAWS, for instance cannot see them at all in
>  FireFox but can see them but has
difficulty keeping focus on
>  them in
Internet Explorer.

>  NVDA gets around this by labelling the
embedded
>  oject as unavailable and
using the NVDA+numpad divide (to
>  move
the mouse pointer to the current navigator object)
>  followed by  numpad divide on its own
which emulates a left
>  mouse clikc.
>
>  I wonder if
>  you could try this solution and see if
it gives you access
>  to the player?
>
>  I have tried
>  your two links with NVDA and Firefox on
windows 10 (all
>  latest versions) and
found the following:
>  KITV:
http://www.kitv.com/category/305776/live-stream
>  This stream started playing and sounding
in the
>  speakers as soon as I opened
the link in Firefox.

>  KHON2:
http://khon2.com/live-stream/
>  This link did not start and a typical
part of
>  the screen showed this:
>
>  " SEARCH THE
SITE
>  Live

Stream"

>   Then NVDA
>  said:
>  iFrame
'embedded Object
>  unavailable'
and then 'Out of iFrame' after I
>  pressed down-arrow once.
>  The stream did not
>  start playing automatically like the
first one.  However, I
>  pressed
NVDA+numpad divide and then numpad divide alone and
>  it did start to play. Another numpad
divide stopped it.
>  While NVDA is
reporting the embedded object, the screen is
>  reporting "blank" under the
active cursor.

With these work-around

Message-----
May 25, 2016 4:15 AM
>  To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>  Subject: [nvda] Adobe Flash Player with
NVDA

>  Hello
everyone,

>  Adobe
Flash Player is

http://khon2.com/live-stream/

>  I had contacted
these TV
>  stations to report the
technical difficulties, and both

Webmasters had told me that their live streams were
working
>  properly.
>
>  Just a recap: My
>  laptop's operating system is Windows
10, my Web browser
>  is Firefox, and of
course I use NVDA as my screen-reader.

>  So my questions are
these:
>  1. How user-friendly is Adobe
Flash Player with
>  NVDA?
>  2. What could be causing Adobe Flash
>  Player to play live Webcasts on some
sites but not on
>  others?
>  3. Is there a way for me to
>  troubleshoot Adobe Flash Player without
uninstalling and
>  reinstalling it?
>
>  Thanks so
>  much for your folks' help, and have
a good day.

sincerely,

Jolene.

Andre Fisher

Just say NVDA+N, that shows that depending on which of the three
possible modifier keys you choose, it would be universal.