NVDA 2016.2: Thoughts on Formatting information dialog

Bhavya shah

Dear all,
I acknowledge this to be a potentially subjective opinion and
consequently request, but initiating a discussion about the same all
the same, in order to gather more user feedback about this feature.
In NVDA version 2016.2 RC 1, you can now press NVDA + F twice in quick
succession to be presented formatting information for the
corresponding text in the form of a navigable dialog.
The two concerns I have here, which are quite trivial, but still
somewhat necessaryare as follows:
When NVDA + F is pressed twice in quick succession -
* NVDA reads all the text of that dialog, i.e. the formatting
information, and then when the user navigates the dialog, he finds
himself at the end of the dialog, and has to up arrow instead of the
usual down arrowing to explore information.
* NVDA says 'formatting' twice, with a pause, which may result in a
momentary delay, as opposed to saying it only once to announce the
opening of the dialog.
Note: I am testing this with Microsoft Office Word 2010, and this, and
my previous observation, both are based on a Windows 8.1 system.
In case these issues are considered more or less important by other
testers than me, and if it is easy enough for developers to speedily
implement and fix, I (or others) may file a ticket for the same.
Thanks.

--
Warm Regards
Bhavya Shah

Quentin Christensen

Hi Bhavya,

When you press NVDA+F twice, the dialog opens in Browse mode.  As long as you have "Automatic say all on page load" checked in the Browse mode settings screen (NVDA+control+b to jump there) then it will start reading as soon as the dialog loads, hence when it finishes reading the contents of the dialog, the focus will be at the end of the dialog.

With regard to the double announcing of "formatting", I spoke with Jamie and he confirmed this isn't the most desirable, but is actually one of those bugs that is trickier to fix than it at first seems, but he is aware of it.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...> wrote:
[...]

Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Bhavya shah

Hi Quentin,
Completely understandable. Thanks a ton for the clarifications.
Thanks.

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@gmail.com>
wrote:

[...]

Aravind R

spelling error sound works for me.
we have to check on announce spelling errors available in documents
settings. then in keyboard setting, the play sounds for spelling
errors while typing option is coming which we can enable or disable as
per our choice then, it works in word document while typing.

wrote:

[...]

r. aravind,

Assistant manager
Department of sales
mobile no: +91 9940369593, 9710945613.
email id : aravind_069@yahoo.com, aravind.andhrabank@gmail.com.

Hi, I've been playing with this for some time now,and my comments are.
First sometimes it does not read all the formatting info, ie it misses out the bits at the start. However cursoring up seems logical, as its just read the lines so the cursor would logically be below the text not back at the top. However that seems to be dependent on the program, some, for example Dspeech when reading text or making an audio file position the cursor back at the tiop, but this is presumably a simple list and its read, hopefully from the start each time, but several times the font detail is missing unless I cursor up, as if it was overwritten by the second speaking of the word formatting.
I'm using windows 7 a very old copy of Word, which seems to be unsure if its word XP or 2003 most of the time. :-)

I like the feature as its a good snapshot of where you are and more easy to understand than the one we normally toggle on and off.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Andre Fisher

you can still use Control+Home, End, etc.

On 5/26/16, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

David Moore

Hi,
In MS Office 2010, does NVDA report the spacing of the document? That is the biggest problem I had with formatting announcing. I definite want to know if the document is double spaced, single spaced and so on. Also, when you press NVDA+F twice, can you just press CTRL+Home and start reading from the top? Thanks.

[...]

Regarding spacing announcement: this is under active development at the moment, and if it works, you'll see it included in 2016.3.
Cheers,
Joseph