Topics

I've largely changed my mind about Chrome, I like it much more now

Gene

I may have sent messages in the past in which I expressed a much stronger liking for Firefox than Chrome.  At this point, I've changed my mind and, unless things change over time, as they may as Firefox continues to implement its new internal technical changes, I consider Chrome to be superior for general browsing. I haven't tested it for uses such as streaming or RSS or other uses.  I will therefore only address general browsing and the interface.  Others may want to comment on other aspects I haven't compared.

This is a long message, a bit of a review and a bit of discussion of the interface.  I hope those interested in the subject find it useful.

If you try Chrome and find it superior for general browsing, you may still not want to use Chrome as your main browser.  There are various considerations.  I'll explain why I changed my mind and what you may want to consider.  You may have other or different considerations as well.

The reason I say Chrome is better for general browsing is because it loads pages faster than Firefox.  You may want to compare and see if the difference is important to you.  There is a very noticeable difference.  I hadn't compared Chrome with Firefox for speed on a fast machine.  I compared them on a slow machine running XP perhaps six or eight months ago.  I had expected that, if Chrome was faster, there would have been a noticeable difference, even though the machine was slow.  But there wasn't a difference that amounted to anything.

I recently decided to compare on a reasonably fast machine running Windows 7 since many people have said on lists I'm on that Chrome is faster.  There is a very noticeable difference in speed on my Windows 7 machine.  I don't know what the results would have been on a fast XP machine.

I haven't used Chrome much but the increase in speed is the reason I say it's better for general browsing.

The Chrome interface is different than Firefox or Internet Explorer.  It isn't difficult to learn but it is different.  You will likely want a tutorial or some instructional material.  If you are good at learning by exploring, you may not want or need such material, at least not to use in depth, but you may benefit in early learning by using material.

The main things to know in terms of the differences in the interface are that Chrome shows many things as web pages, such as settings and history and there is one menu, which you can open with alt f, that is, hold alt and press f.  Of course, there are submenus and there are also items that open like web pages such as settings.

I don't recall if there are classic dialogs that open from the main menu.
But if you work with settings, you need to know that the settings interface doesn't work quite properly in the following way:
It's a web page-like interface but there some controls that don't work as they should.  I tried to activate two buttons today and I couldn't do so in browse mode using NVDA.  I don't know what JAWS does.  I had to manually go into forms mode, and activate the buttons.  I may have had to tab to the button because forms mode may not have been properly calibrated with browse mode in that interface, at least at times.

I seem to recall that in another instance, I needed to be in browse mode to activate something but I'd have to experiment more to know if that is the case since I don't have a clear memory of whether that was necessary.

There's a very useful settings search feature in settings.

One of my main objections to Chrome in the past was that the book marks interface is not nearly as comvenient to work with as Firefox because the search feature in Chrome book marks appears to be inaccessible.  I very recently learned from someone on a list I follow that this problem can be more or less eliminated.  I say more or less because I haven't played with it much, but enough to see that it works well or reasonably well.  I'm hedging because I'd want to play with it more before saying just how well it works.  It' appears to work well from the very little testing I've done.  If you are in the address bar, you can type some or all of what you want to find such as york times or new york times and you can up and down arrow through results.  Some of them will be search results using a search engine but the top results in the list should be from book marks and history.  Try reading the current line after typing to see if that contains the first result.  I haven't played with the feature more than a little and I'm not sure.  But if it works well, this would eliminate what I consider to be an important deficiency. In other words, this feature may make book marks just as easy to use in Chrome as in Firefox.

If you use Firefox extensions that you consider important and use them a lot, that may be a consideration in which browser you want to use.  and then, there's just convenience of not learning a new interface and continuing to use the familiar Firefox.  You, of course, can determine questions like that.  It's nice to have pages load a good deal faster, but the importance of speed may vary from user to user.  But if you haven't compared with a hands on test, you may wish to.

Browsing is either identical or nearly identical between the browsers because they both use browse mode, or the Virtual PC cursor, which is the JAWS name for the same thing.

So you can compare by installing Chrome, and then opening and using some web sites.  Control l moves you to the address bar, just as in Firefox.  I believe when you open Chrome, you are automatically placed on the address bar, but you can check.  If you want to make sure, it takes almost no time to execute control l.

I hope those who are interested in this subject find these comments useful.  If people are curious or dissatisfied with Firefox or another browser, they may want to try Chrome.  I haven't used Edge at all so I don't know how Edge compares.

Gene

juan gonzalez <jgonzalezh614@...>

I am also experimenting with chrome and it is speedy I must say. NVDA does have some minor focus issues but it works well for the most part.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Would anyone know if Chrome has sounds? one of the annoyances with current firefox is figuring out when downloads are finished or when a page is refreshing itself, ie you normally hear the ticks in the old version due to navigational sounds.
Until i find a browser with this function of sound I'm loathe to get a new browser over ff52, but the problem is that I've been reading that some sites now do not support the old versions of Firefox and tell you so when you have things like modal windows whatever they are.
On XP to make Firefox perform even reasonably you need to use a version 45, as after this the actual load up times are hugely slowed, my guess is that the code is made for multi processor devices, not single core ones.This is also why on xp you might find that Chrome and firefox are similar in page loading times.

Things are no pushing ahead so fast on sites that its not uncommon to see the message you browser is unsupported get this or that then you can come back.
To me this is a weird thing for commercial sites to do, as they are, in effect pushing away potential customers, but hey, that is their business.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

How is it on those dodgy forms like google and mail chimp?
[...]

I did a Google search for Chrome navigation sounds.  I found an add on that may do what you want.  I only looked at about three results and I don't know if there are other relevant results but if you do that search, you should find that add on and maybe more.

Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2018 9:27 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
[...]

George McCoy <slr1bpz@...>

There are Chrome extensions, one of which plays a sound when downloasds are finished and one that plays sounds for various events that can be configured.

George

[...]

Devin Prater

Thanks for this. The browser thing on Windows is a bit frustrating coming from the Mac, which I use most of the time, where Safari works well and there isn’t much of a need to use Chrome, but I do like the document-style interface of Browse-mode, although I can do the same on the Mac, arrowing around lines instead of moving by element. I’ll give Chrome a try when I use Windows next.

On May 6, 2018, at 7:50 AM, juan gonzalez <jgonzalezh614@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Jaws 2018 works fine with all buttons in settings.  So I suspect this is an NVDA problem, rather than Chrome.

All the best

Steve

[...]

Not sounds, but if you go to the downloads (Control-J), then you hear the
percentage of the download automatically spoken.

All the best

Steve

[...]

Gerardo Corripio

Wow how can I get them, and what is it called the one for when downloads are complete in Chrome?

-----Original Message----- From: Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2018 9:27 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com>
[...]

Gera
Enviado desde Thunderbird

Felix G.

Hi!
I use Chrome as my primary and pretty much only browser, and I'm also very satisfied with its accessibility in recent versions. Here's a little known paradox: The word "chrome," in browser design, refers to the extra stuff a browser puts around the actual website. Minimalistic as it is, Chrome is currently the most chromeless browser I know. That's why I think it's so beautiful.
Best,
Felix

Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2018 9:27 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

in the display name field.
[...]

The one I use is called Download notifier. Here's how to get it.
First, you must open extensions in Chrome. You can enter chrome://extensions in the address bar that you are placed in when you start chrome or you can press alt plus f, then l for more tools then e for extensions.
You should land in the search extensions edit box. If you don't land there, tab to the search box.
type download notifier in the search box and press enter.
You should then be taken to the download notifier page where you can install the extension.
It's easier than it sounds in my explanation.

George

[...]

Dejan Ristic

To add to what Gene has said so far, let me also say that I use Google Drive more than successfully via Chrome. As for streamings, Live Video on Facebook is possible to use via Chrome, too. Gene has mentioned speed, so I will simply skip this. Let me also say that the Opera browser is a Chrome-like one, so I use it too because it largely reminds me of the Chrome's features. As to skype online, I've also used it with Chrome, for the skype app on my Win7 64bit machine has gone through some errors while updating it from version to version. As for downloading, I've found that Chrome is a bit slower than Firefox, but it is not a tragedy. As to using Gmail in the Basic HTML view mode, Chrome is smooth, too. I also like the way the bookmarks in Chrome are arranged. I use them so much. As to the Messenger, I've found two accessibility issues:

Firstly, I am unable to do the search of persons in messenger, while I do not fail on the standard facebook.

Secondly, if I wish to forward a message in messenger, I fail, too, while I do not on facebook.

I do not know how Firefox behaves as to these issues because it is almost unusable for me at the moment.

On 06/05/2018 11:57, Gene wrote:
[...]

Angela Delicata

Hey guis!

I just want to thank you so much for having mentioned Chrome: I finally decided to try it again and my experience was really amazing! It is very fast and seems accessible using nvda!

So thank you again guys: you are a great help to me.

All the best and speak with you soon.
Ciao
Angela from Italy

On 06/05/2018 11:57, Gene wrote:
[...]

Greg Wocher

Hello,
One of the main reasons I use Chrome as my default browser is that the various tool bars are accessible. I can get to them using F6. These toolbars are not accessible in Firefox unless one uses object nav with NVDA or the touch cursor in JAWS.

Greg Wocher

On 06/05/2018 11:57, Gene wrote:
[...]

I use the add on called sound on for navigational sounds.

[...]

Jason White

Another advantage of Chrome is that it's accessible under Mac OS and Chrome OS as well as Microsoft Windows, so if you use either of those operating systems you can easily let Chrome synchronize browser history and bookmarks across your devices.

On 5/6/18, 14:05, "Angela Delicata" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of angeladelicata@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

>> good deal faster, but the importance of speed may vary from user to
>> user. But if you haven't compared with a hands on test, you may wish
>> to.
>> Browsing is either identical or nearly identical between the browsers
>> because they both use browse mode, or the Virtual PC cursor, which is
>> the JAWS name for the same thing.
>> So you can compare by installing Chrome, and then opening and
>> using some web sites. Control l moves you to the address bar, just
>> as in Firefox. I believe when you open Chrome, you are automatically
>> placed on the address bar, but you can check. If you want to make
>> sure, it takes almost no time to execute control l.
>> I hope those who are interested in this subject find these comments
>> useful. If people are curious or dissatisfied with Firefox or
>> another browser, they may want to try Chrome. I haven't used Edge at

Kevin Cussick

Hi, It used to be a problem to add new book marks is it Ok now?

On 06/05/2018 23:22, Jason White via Groups.Io wrote:
> [...]
>> good deal faster, but the importance of speed may vary from user to
>> user. But if you haven't compared with a hands on test, you may wish
>> to.
>> Browsing is either identical or nearly identical between the browsers
>> because they both use browse mode, or the Virtual PC cursor, which is
>> the JAWS name for the same thing.
>> So you can compare by installing Chrome, and then opening and
>> using some web sites. Control l moves you to the address bar, just
>> as in Firefox. I believe when you open Chrome, you are automatically
>> placed on the address bar, but you can check. If you want to make
>> sure, it takes almost no time to execute control l.
>> I hope those who are interested in this subject find these comments
>> useful. If people are curious or dissatisfied with Firefox or
>> another browser, they may want to try Chrome. I haven't used Edge at

Sarah k Alawami

No it does not. I don't find a need for sounds in any browser. Just use comen sense. If you cannot read the page it is not loaded all the way.

On May 6, 2018, at 7:27 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:

[...]

David Tanner

Ok, quick question for those of you using Chrome.  Do any of you know of an easy way to move favorites from Internet Explorer other than manually typing them into Chrome.  I have not found any kind of automated way to move favorites from Internet Explorer 11 to the latest Chrome browser.

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time for your assistance.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <
gsasner@...>