Topics

nvda and calibre or other ebook management utilities

J.G

Hi,

does anyone on this list use calibre or simular management ebook tool? i used it a while ago and found, that it is inaccessible. so can anyone give me an advice how should i use this program or suggest an alternative?

i need it for conversion between formats, reading itself etc.

thanks, Jožef

Kevin Cussick

codex is the best program around. just google for it I am sorry don't have a url to hand.

On 27/05/2016 12:20, J.G wrote:
Hi,

does anyone on this list use calibre or simular management ebook tool? i
used it a while ago and found, that it is inaccessible. so can anyone
give me an advice how should i use this program or suggest an alternative?

i need it for conversion between formats, reading itself etc.

thanks, Jožef

Quentin Christensen

I use Calibre (and I'll caveat that by saying I do have enough site to use the mouse as well as the keyboard).

It actually has keyboard shortcuts for most things but they're not as obvious to find as they could be.  Here's a page with some: https://www.shortcutworld.com/en/win/Calibre.html

And here's the official manual: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/

I haven't tried Codex that Kevin suggested, but just did a search and this looks like it: http://jscholes.net/project/codex/

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Life My Way

Here is the link for codex.

On 27/05/2016 12:20, J.G wrote:
Hi,

does anyone on this list use calibre or simular management ebook tool? i
used it a while ago and found, that it is inaccessible. so can anyone
give me an advice how should i use this program or suggest an alternative?

i need it for conversion between formats, reading itself etc.

thanks, Jožef

Patrick Le Baudour

Hi,
I have it installed, but only use the conversion tool, ebook-convert, that I use from command line.

-- Patrick.

Le 27/05/2016 à 13:20, J.G a écrit :
Hi,

does anyone on this list use calibre or simular management ebook tool? i
used it a while ago and found, that it is inaccessible. so can anyone
give me an advice how should i use this program or suggest an alternative?

i need it for conversion between formats, reading itself etc.

thanks, Jožef

Kwork

Yes, that is it.
Codex is a great program, and James Scholls has done a great job on it.
Codex installs a portable installation of Calibre to do its converting, so both programs are not needed separately as with other front ends in the past, such as eBook-convert GUI.
There is a legal grey area with Codex. I know of a list where it is banned from being talked about for the simple reason that it can also, with the use of a third party Calibre plugin, strip the drm infestation from purchased ebooks.
Just something for the moderators to consider if discussion of Codex does continue here.
Travis