De: Chris Shook
Data: sexta-feira, 27 de maio de 2016 21:01
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Assunto: [nvda] NVDA and windows 10

Hi,
Could someone that has experience running NVDA with windows 10 contact
me please?
I just have one quick question for you.
My email address is: chris0309@...
Thanks
Chris

Gene

The list is for asking questions.  The answers may benefit others.  Instead of asking for private messages, unless something is very obscure and you are sure no one would be interested, questions should be asked on list.  Even in the case of obscure questions, it is often better to ask on list.

If you ask for private responses, no one will know if others have answered the question.  You may get many duplicate answers.
Also, if you take threads off list, you won't necessarily know if someone has given the best answer.  One of the purposes of lists is for people to comment on and correct or improve answers, if corrections or improvements are in order.

Sent: Friday, May 27, 2016 3:01 PM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and windows 10

Hi,
Could someone that has experience running NVDA with windows 10 contact
me please?
I just have one quick question for you.
My email address is: chris0309@...
Thanks
Chris

Lino Morales

Well ask it here. I'm sure someone maybe me can help you out.

On 5/27/2016 4:01 PM, Chris Shook wrote:
Hi,
Could someone that has experience running NVDA with windows 10 contact me please?
I just have one quick question for you.
My email address is: chris0309@...
Thanks
Chris

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

Hi Rui,
Thanks for getting in touch. I have one quick question.
If I make internet explorer my default brouser, will I need to move the icon somewhere so I can find it? If so, how do i do this?
Thanks
Chris

Chris,

           You won't need to have a desktop shortcut or one in the start menu or taskbar/quick launch bar, but I'm never without at least one, if not both, of those for when I want to simply start the web browser (or any other program I frequently use stand alone rather than, say clicking through on a link).

Here are the generic instructions for getting a shortcut on to your desktop for a good, old-fashioned application program like IE11.  It involves a little bit, but not much, extra work under Windows 10.

1. Hit the Windows key then start typing the name of the program you wish to make a shortcut for.  In this specific instance, Internet Explorer.

2. In most cases, and you should always check, if your search criteria was specific enough that program will be the first entry in the search results.  Your screen reader will announce the application name followed by "desktop app" if it's actually what used to be called a program as opposed to the new universal apps.  If it's not the first returned result use the down arrow key to check what else has come back until you find the program you're looking for in the returned search results.  Hit whatever key or key sequence is necessary to invoke the context menu, usually the menu/application key or SHIFT+F10

3. Once the context menu comes up, use the down arrow to get to "Open file location."

4. Now the File Explorer window will be open with the program file or its shortcut selected already.  It doesn't matter which.  Again, hit the key or key sequence to bring up the Context Menu.  Hit 'N' to activate the Send to menu item, then hit D to take you to the Desktop, Create Shortcut option and hit Enter.

5. You now have a desktop shortcut.

6. If you wish to pin this shortcut on the quick launch bar or start menu:

              a) Open File Explorer and choose Desktop from the Tree View

              b) Locate the shortcut you wish to pin and make sure it is selected

              c) Again, bring up the Context Menu

                          i) Hit the letter P to pin the shortcut to the Start Menu.  Be aware that the 'P' is a toggle in this context, and if the shortcut happens to already be pinned to the Start Menu this will UNpin it.

                     OR

                         ii) Hit the letter K to pin the shortcut to the Taskbar/Quick Launch Bar.

Rui Fontes

Hello!

One way is going to Start menu, find Internet Explorer, normally in All
apps, Accessories, and press Applications key and choose more and then Add
to TaskBar, or something like that...

Other way is going to Desktop, unselect all itens, press Applications key,
choose New, Shortcut and create a shortcut to Internet Explorer...

I am sure there are other ways...

Rui

Thanks for getting in touch. I have one quick question.
If I make internet explorer my default brouser, will I need to move the
icon somewhere so I can find it? If so, how do i do this?
Thanks
Chris

David Moore

Hi Chris,
Once you make IE your default browser, you can pin that icon to the task bar, or even better yet, you can put the IE icon right on your desktop. Here is what you do to put the IE icon right on your desktop.
First, type internet in the start search edit area and you should hear Internet explorer desktop app. Press the applications key and down arrow to open file location and press enter. You will hear that you are on Internet Explorer where it is actually located. Now, press the applications key again, and down arrow to send to sub menu and press enter. Down arrow to create short cut to desktop or something like that and press enter. That is it, you will now have an icon on your desktop.
Now, you can also pin the IE icon to your taskbar, and that is easier. To do that, just type Internet in the search edit, and press the applications key and down arrow to pin to task bar and press enter. That is it for pinning the Icon to the taskbar. Now, to get to your icons on your taskbar, they are called buttons, press Windows+T and right and left arrow through the buttons until you hear Internet Explorer and press enter. Also, if you press Windows+T, the first button you land on is the first taskbar button. Count from their as you press the right arrow how many times you have to press the right arrow to get to Internet Explorer. For example, let's say you find out that the Internet Explorer is the fourth button on the taskbar. Now, to open Internet Explorer, all you have to do is press Windows+4 on the numbers row. You can open any program pinned to your taskbar in this way. If it is the 7th button, open that program by pressing Windows+7 on the numbers row. If you do what I said at first to get Internet Explorer on the desktop, you simply press Windows+M to focus on the desktop and press I until you get to the Internet Explorer icon and press enter. Lastly, you can create a short cut key command to open Internet Explorer like ALT+CTRL+I since I is the first letter. To create this short cut command, find Internet Explorer on your desktop, and press the applications key. Up arrow once to properties and press enter. You will be on the short cut page of the dialog. Just tab to the edit field where you can simply type I or another letter. The ALT and CTRL are automatically added for you. Then, tab and make sure that it is set to open maximized. Then, tab to the okay button and press enter. Well, there it is. I have shown you how to put the icon on your desktop, pin it to the taskbar, how to create a short cut key, and how to press Windows+a number to open Internet Explorer. Of course, when you get the icon on your desktop, just press Windows+D or Windows+M and press I until you hear Internet Explorer and press enter. Take care, Chris, and I hope this all makes sense.

Thanks for getting in touch. I have one quick question.
If I make internet explorer my default brouser, will I need to move the
icon somewhere so I can find it? If so, how do i do this?
Thanks
Chris

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

Brian,
Thanks for the help.
I really appreciate the step by step instructions.
Chris

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

Hi all,
Thanks again for all the help. I've got internet explorer on my desktop now. One last question I just thought of.
Is there anything I need to turn off to prevent microsoft from keeping track of my internet activity?
Thanks
Chris

Chris,

         I suggest to anyone new to Windows 10 that they go to the Privacy settings and visit each and every pane and each and every option.  It really doesn't take very long and most decisions are straightforward and are of a "yes/no" nature.

         Most web activity information collection comes from using Cortana as a personal digital assistant.  If you don't want to or intend to use her in that manner go in to Cortana & Search settings and turn off the various privacy related stuff like, "Get to know me" [turn it off], "Include web results" [turn it off].

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

Hi,
thanks for the info.
This isn't strictly about NVDA, but I'm hoping someone will know.
What does the windows update link in internet explorer do?
We already have a windows update in settings, so having two seems pointless.
Chris

stancil tootle

I hate win 10, but can't go back. How can I get rid of this media player and go back to Winamp?

On May 27, 2016, at 6:35 PM, Chris Shook <chris0309@...> wrote:

Hi all,
Thanks again for all the help. I've got internet explorer on my desktop now. One last question I just thought of.
Is there anything I need to turn off to prevent microsoft from keeping track of my internet activity?
Thanks
Chris

Affordable Wireless Plans
Set up is easy. Get online in minutes.
Starting at only $9.95 per month!
www.netzero.net?refcd=nzmem0216

Kenny Dog <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi just download a copy of Winamp and have it as your default instead of the grove one.

It can also be done through the windows settings part in Windows 10.

You will need to go to system, press the enter key then go down to default apps and it can be done under that section if winamp is already installed.

hope this helps.

Gene nz

On 28/05/2016 3:20 PM, stancil tootle wrote:
I hate win 10, but can't go back. How can I get rid of this media player and go back to Winamp?

On May 27, 2016, at 6:35 PM, Chris Shook <chris0309@...> wrote:

Hi all,
Thanks again for all the help. I've got internet explorer on my desktop now. One last question I just thought of.
Is there anything I need to turn off to prevent microsoft from keeping track of my internet activity?
Thanks
Chris

Affordable Wireless Plans
Set up is easy. Get online in minutes.
Starting at only $9.95 per month!
www.netzero.net?refcd=nzmem0216

The trouble is they are so vague about what they collect for what its hard to really say, plus I notice with concern that recent updates to windows 7 seem to be introducing these customer monitoring options as well. Now I suppose if they only store the things people do and the probblems they get, then fine, but if the data is combined with other data, then it would be easy for some unscrupulous organisation to identify people.

Probably not a subject for here though.
I say everyone should make a search for daft or dodgy things to confuse google and hopefully the strange usage wiill give microsoft a headache as well. :-)
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Thanks again for all the help. I've got internet explorer on my desktop now. One last question I just thought of.
Is there anything I need to turn off to prevent microsoft from keeping track of my internet activity?
Thanks
Chris

Lino Morales

Its broken in IE 11. I forget the funky error message I get when I do that via IE 11.

On 5/27/2016 10:45 PM, Chris Shook wrote:
Hi,
thanks for the info.
This isn't strictly about NVDA, but I'm hoping someone will know.
What does the windows update link in internet explorer do?
We already have a windows update in settings, so having two seems pointless.
Chris

Lino Morales

Find the last build of Winamp V 5.666. I think: www.whitstick.co.uk

still has it. Just make sure Winamp is set as the default media player in sttings.

On 5/27/2016 11:20 PM, stancil tootle wrote:
I hate win 10, but can't go back. How can I get rid of this media player and go back to Winamp?

On May 27, 2016, at 6:35 PM, Chris Shook <chris0309@...> wrote:

Hi all,
Thanks again for all the help. I've got internet explorer on my desktop now. One last question I just thought of.
Is there anything I need to turn off to prevent microsoft from keeping track of my internet activity?
Thanks
Chris

Affordable Wireless Plans
Set up is easy. Get online in minutes.
Starting at only $9.95 per month!
www.netzero.net?refcd=nzmem0216

Gene

It's supposed to take you to the Windows Update page.  it's actually the same as if Microsoft gave you a favorite for the page but it's a separate item named Windows Updates in the browser.

The Windows update web page works in your browser and, I believe, along with showing you whatever major updates you don't have, shows you more updates that are more minor and optional.  Others may comment further but that's my impression of the page from the very small amount I've looked at it.

Also, we know that it doesn't work in one person's browser.  That doesn't mean it doesn't work in general.  Nothing has been said to indicate how many copies of IE11 this was tested in.  One test tells us nothing generalizable.

Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2016 1:50 PM

Its broken in IE 11. I forget the funky error message I get when I do
that via IE 11.

On 5/27/2016 10:45 PM, Chris Shook wrote:
> Hi,
> thanks for the info.
> This isn't strictly about NVDA, but I'm hoping someone will know.
> What does the windows update link in internet explorer do?
> We already have a windows update in settings, so having two seems
> pointless.
> Chris

stancil tootle

Got Winamp  went into settings  and made it my default player so now when I click on an audio file nothing happens.

On May 28, 2016, at 1:40 AM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi stencil. Make sure all audio files are associated with Winamp. You'll find those under preference and file types.

Sent from my iPod