Topics

Meet NVDA 2016.2, bringing spelling error beep, grammar error detection and more to your work, home and everything in between #NVAccess #release

Hi everyone,

Yes, it is finally here: NVDA 2016.2, introducing spelling error beep, grammar error detection and more are now available. More info can be found on the nV Access post here:

http://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2016-2-released/

Enjoy NVDA 2016.2.

Cheers,

Joseph (now one of the members of this list)

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi Joseph,

Delighted to read your message. I found it very inspiring!

I look forward to the next version of NVDA. I am proud to be associated with this work. I find that NVDA gives me inventive choices for getting around obstacles which I used to take for granted because JAWS – wonderful though it was – could not break from its rigid structure.

Even now, as I struggle with embedded objects in Adobe Flash audio, JAWS needs me to write a script to do a complex series of steps which NVDA does in two keystrokes!

I wouldn’t mind having to write my own scripts for something so commonly occurring if JAWS did not cost €1,600 ! For that much money I would expect the developers to do some work on the issue.

Well done everyone on the NVDA development team and in the user community who are so ready to explore options for improved performance.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

I use the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam. The Professional version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails. Try Spam Reader for free now!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2016 6:29 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Meet NVDA 2016.2, bringing spelling error beep, grammar error detection and more to your work, home and everything in between #NVAccess #Release

Hi everyone,

Yes, it is finally here: NVDA 2016.2, introducing spelling error beep, grammar error detection and more are now available. More info can be found on the nV Access post here:

Enjoy NVDA 2016.2.

Cheers,

Brian's Mail list account BY <bglists@...>

Those are my thoughts entirely. I think the food chain of Jaws has become long and confused over the years.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2016 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Meet NVDA 2016.2, bringing spelling error beep, grammar error detection and more to your work, home and everything in between #NVAccess #Release

Hi Joseph,

Delighted to read your message. I found it very inspiring!

I look forward to the next version of NVDA. I am proud to be associated with this work. I find that NVDA gives me inventive choices for getting around obstacles which I used to take for granted because JAWS – wonderful though it was – could not break from its rigid structure.

Even now, as I struggle with embedded objects in Adobe Flash audio, JAWS needs me to write a script to do a complex series of steps which NVDA does in two keystrokes!

I wouldn’t mind having to write my own scripts for something so commonly occurring if JAWS did not cost €1,600 ! For that much money I would expect the developers to do some work on the issue.

Well done everyone on the NVDA development team and in the user community who are so ready to explore options for improved performance.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

I use the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam. The Professional version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails. Try Spam Reader <http://www.spam-reader.com/disclaimer.shtml> for free now!

Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2016 6:29 AM
Subject: [nvda] Meet NVDA 2016.2, bringing spelling error beep, grammar error detection and more to your work, home and everything in between #NVAccess #Release

Hi everyone,

<http://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2016-2-released/> http://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2016-2-released/

Enjoy NVDA 2016.2.

Cheers,

P. Otter

hello joseph,
i've installed 2016.2 but now i have a problem with my office
when i start word, after a few sentences, word stops because there is a problem in nvda.
when i re-install 2016.1 there is no problem at all.
what can that be?
is there a solution for it?
greets
paul otter

Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2016 7:28 AM

Hi everyone,

Enjoy NVDA 2016.2.

Cheers,

Hi,

When this happens again, can you attach the log file so one of us can take a look at it? Also, which Word version is this?

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of P. Otter
Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2016 10:00 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Meet NVDA 2016.2, bringing spelling error beep, grammar error detection and more to your work, home and everything in between #NVAccess #Release

hello joseph,

when i start word, after a few sentences, word stops because there is a problem in nvda.

what can that be?

greets

paul otter

Hi everyone,

Enjoy NVDA 2016.2.

Cheers,

afrim maja <afrim.maja@...>

Hello,
I installed the latest 2016.2 version of nvda, and I am forced to say that it is coreating a lot of problems for me. First of all, the sluggishness and slowness of windows explorer are back, and it seems a very long journey will be until  this is fixed. Secondly, no improvement to the speed in microsoft word, in text processing has been made. It works still slow and the experience of it is really unsatisfying. The last problem, as far as I'm concerned, is the speed of NVDA which in general is a little slow compared to the previous version 2016.1.
I apologise for being harsh in my post, but I don't think I could express myself in another way.
cheers. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 2, 2016, at 7:28 AM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Enjoy NVDA 2016.2.

Cheers,

P. Otter

hi,
it is word 2003 with conversion package to open the newer types of files like docx etc.
but when it happens, there is nothing i can do.
all is frozen!
that's the problem.
so it not possible to safe that file.
it is'nt possible to open nvda by pressing nvda key plus n.
that's the case now.
greets
paul otter

Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2016 8:02 PM

Hi,

When this happens again, can you attach the log file so one of us can take a look at it? Also, which Word version is this?

Cheers,

Joseph

hello joseph,

what can that be?

greets

paul otter

Hi everyone,

Enjoy NVDA 2016.2.

Cheers,

Hi,

I see. Try restarting NVDA (Control+Alt+N), then open your temp folder, then locate nvdaOld.log.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2016 12:36 PM

hi,

it is word 2003 with conversion package to open the newer types of files like docx etc.

all is frozen!

that's the problem.

that's the case now.

greets

paul otter

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

hello joseph,

what can that be?

greets

paul otter

Hi everyone,

Enjoy NVDA 2016.2.

Cheers,

Joseph,

Is it possible to include in these announcements whether or not the RC (in this case RC1) went directly to actual release or not, or can you tell me where to find that information on the website?

I tend to install the RCs and can see no point in installing the actual release in those instances where the candidate went straight to being the release itself without any changes in anything but name.
--
Brian

I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's never enough to keep up.

~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe"

Hi,

In this case, it went directly from RC to stable version, and I think there’s no point in announcing that.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2016 2:25 PM

Joseph,

Is it possible to include in these announcements whether or not the RC (in this case RC1) went directly to actual release or not, or can you tell me where to find that information on the website?

I tend to install the RCs and can see no point in installing the actual release in those instances where the candidate went straight to being the release itself without any changes in anything but name.

--
Brian

I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's never enough to keep up.

~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe"

I disagree that there's no point in announcing it because it would save quite a few people from doing unnecessary downloads and installs.

However, if it's not announced, is there somewhere that one can look to determine that for oneself?  This was the second option and one I'd exercise if I knew where I could look on a consistent basis.

--
Brian

Hi,

One way is using the source code or looking at the snapshots page:

http://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/

The branch you might be interested in is “rc”.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2016 2:56 PM

I disagree that there's no point in announcing it because it would save quite a few people from doing unnecessary downloads and installs.

However, if it's not announced, is there somewhere that one can look to determine that for oneself?  This was the second option and one I'd exercise if I knew where I could look on a consistent basis.

--
Brian

Joseph,

Thanks for that pointer.  That being said the most recent entry in the rc section has main number 13377 and a date-time stamp of May 26th while the most recent entry in the Master section has main number 13348 and a date-time stamp of this afternoon.  I would not ever read this as the current master version having been the most recent release candidate prior to becoming the actual release.
--
Brian

That should have been 13337 for the latest RC main number, which is important in this situation as I imagine these increase as time progresses based on the other material on that page.
--
Brian

Hi,

Ah…

When you notice that latest RC commit date is about a week old than the announcement date, then this means no change between latest RC and master.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2016 3:04 PM

Joseph,

Thanks for that pointer.  That being said the most recent entry in the rc section has main number 13377 and a date-time stamp of May 26th while the most recent entry in the Master section has main number 13348 and a date-time stamp of this afternoon.  I would not ever read this as the current master version having been the most recent release candidate prior to becoming the actual release.

--
Brian

Joseph Lee wrote: "When you notice that latest RC commit date is about a week old than the announcement date, then this means no change between latest RC and master."

Thanks for that clarification.  This is a different system than what I had been accustomed to "back in the day" when doing this sort of thing.  The build number (which is what I consider what comes ahead of the comma (or the whole thing) would not have changed when moved from candidate to master upon release.  

--
Brian

Pascal Lambert

Hi,

Please, has anyone seen this message before “about: srcdoc” which appears when surfing with Firefox and causes the page to freeze.  Please any feedback and/or solution is appreciated.

Blessings

Pascal

Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2016 7:11 PM

Hi,

Ah…

When you notice that latest RC commit date is about a week old than the announcement date, then this means no change between latest RC and master.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2016 3:04 PM

Joseph,

--
Brian

P. Otter

but it keeps there even if i had restart my computer?
because i can do nothing at all only a reset.
cheers
paul otter

Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2016 9:45 PM

Hi,

I see. Try restarting NVDA (Control+Alt+N), then open your temp folder, then locate nvdaOld.log.

Cheers,

Joseph

hi,

all is frozen!

that's the problem.

that's the case now.

greets

paul otter

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

hello joseph,

what can that be?

greets

paul otter

Hi everyone,

Enjoy NVDA 2016.2.

Cheers,

Hi,

Hmmm, this is getting interesting…

What if you restart NVDA with add-ons disabled (once NVDA starts, press NVDA+Q, then select the third option)?

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2016 3:35 PM

but it keeps there even if i had restart my computer?

because i can do nothing at all only a reset.

cheers

paul otter

Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2016 9:45 PM

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

hi,

all is frozen!

that's the problem.

that's the case now.

greets

paul otter

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

hello joseph,

what can that be?

greets

paul otter

Hi everyone,

Enjoy NVDA 2016.2.

Cheers,

Ben J. Bloomgren

Hello all,

I just downloaded 2016.2, and I'm noticing a couple of problems with Braille tables.

I saw that they have implemented Koine (k o i n e) Greek, so I used a virtual keyboard to type the Greek characters. In the table called "Greek", accented letters aren't marked at all, which causes many issues even in modern Greek, which is simpler.

In Koine Greek, which often uses letters with one or two accent marks, the only accent mark shown is the Psili, or the smooth breathing. All the other accent marks, be they single or double, just give those bracket symbols inside of which is the hex value of the Unicode character. Should I post this to the Add-ons list as well?

Ben

On 6/1/2016 22:28, Joseph Lee wrote:
> > Hi everyone, > > > > Yes, it is finally here: NVDA 2016.2, introducing spelling error > beep, grammar error detection and more are now available. More info > can be found on the nV Access post here: > > http://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2016-2-released/

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.