In-Process 15th May

Quentin Christensen

HI everyone,

This week's In-Process is out, and it includes some of the goodness you can expect from NVDA 2018.2, plus an update on our first Certified Expert in India and a hat-tip to our Windows Insiders

#NVDAsr

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Laurie Mehta

Thanks for sending this. Also, I have a question… Is the new expert from India on this list?
If so, congratulations to that person!

Laurie Mehta

On May 15, 2018, at 00:16, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

HI everyone,

This week's In-Process is out, and it includes some of the goodness you can expect from NVDA 2018.2, plus an update on our first Certified Expert in India and a hat-tip to our Windows Insiders

#NVDAsr

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Sky Mundell

Totally agree with you.  This certification will definitely help professionals for the blind to see the potential in NVDA. I’m thinking about becoming an NVDA certifier.

Thanks for sending this. Also, I have a question… Is the new expert from India on this list?

If so, congratulations to that person!

Laurie Mehta

On May 15, 2018, at 00:16, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

HI everyone,

This week's In-Process is out, and it includes some of the goodness you can expect from NVDA 2018.2, plus an update on our first Certified Expert in India and a hat-tip to our Windows Insiders

#NVDAsr

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Quentin,

Wow, that's neat about the one-core voices being the default voices now. I like e-speakbut the one-core voices sound more natural.

Rosemarie

HI everyone,

This week's In-Process is out, and it includes some of the goodness you can expect from NVDA 2018.2, plus an update on our first Certified Expert in India and a hat-tip to our Windows Insiders

#NVDAsr

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Mallard <mallard@...>

Except for the Italian voices, which sound terrible. That's not so much the voice qualiti itself, but the accent. It sounds like someone who has trouble speaking; someone who's had a stroke, or something... Really disgraceful!

Is there a way to change it back to Espeak?

Thanks, ciao,

Ollie

Il 15/05/2018 07:42, Rosemarie Chavarria ha scritto:

Hi, Quentin,

Wow, that's neat about the one-core voices being the default voices now. I like e-speakbut the one-core voices sound more natural.

Rosemarie

HI everyone,

This week's In-Process is out, and it includes some of the goodness you can expect from NVDA 2018.2, plus an update on our first Certified Expert in India and a hat-tip to our Windows Insiders

All at: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-15th-may-2018/

#NVDAsr

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Olle,

Do you mean OneCore sounds horrible in Italian, or the current version of eSpeak NG?

Re changing the synthesizer, eSpeak NG is still included, it's just that OneCore is the default in Windows 10.  If that is problematic, we'll have to look into it, though of course, as regularly discussed here, eSpeak NG is not perfect either!

Quentin.

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 5:05 PM, Mallard <mallard@...> wrote:
[...]

Of course. If you head to the Synthesizer dialog (which you can find in your NVDA Preferences menu), there's a combo box with all the installed synthesizers that are recognised by NVDA. Simply find the one you want and hit OK.

HTH,

Chris

On 15/05/2018 08:05, Mallard wrote:
[...]

Hello,

Yes, it's the OneCore that sounds horrible!

It comes up at the Windows Logon, and it sounds awful...

I tried to change it, but it still comes up. When NVDA is loaded, hen, my defaullt synth speaks normally.
Ciao,
Ollie

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 5:05 PM, Mallard <mallard@kimabe.eu <mailto:mallard@kimabe.eu>> wrote:

[...]

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification
now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org>
<http://www.nvaccess.org/>
<http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Ok firstly to help you now:

1. Open your NVDA general preferences (NVDA+CONTROL+G)
2. TAB to "Use currently saved settings on the logon and other secure screens" (or the Italian equivalent thereof)
3. Press ENTER to activate that button, and then alt+y to OK the UAC dialog which appears.

Now you should have the same voice on the logon screen as you do regularly.

No re the Italian OneCore voice, has this always been a problem, or is it new?  My version of Windows is offering me two Italian languages to install Italiano (Italia) and Italiano (Swizzera).  If you install both (and their speech packs), it should give you access to extra voices.  You can leave everything set as it is and just access the extra voices in NVDA if you want, so it shouldn't affect anything else.  That could be worth trying in case the other voices are any better.

Otherwise, can you give me some ideas and examples of the problems with Italian?  I can't do much except report them on to Microsoft, and I would encourage you to do the same.  You can press WINDOWS+F to open the feedback centre.  I'm sure anyone can do that (in Windows 10).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 5:05 PM, Mallard <mallard@... <mailto:mallard@...>> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Quentin.

Italian OneCore voices are both terrible, but the male voice, which is the default one in NVDA right now, is really unbearable.

They both speak in a very unnatural way. I'm a lover of Eloquence and Espeak (mainly Espeak), because all Italian quality voices in Windows tend to have some sort of foreign accents.

I don't care so much for the sound of the voice, as for the prosody and intonation, and the way they interpret punctuation.

Eloquence is by far the best from this point of view, followed by Espeak.

Not even Vocalizer Express is as good, in my opinion.

Ciao,

Ollie

<mailto:mallard@kimabe.eu> <mailto:mallard@kimabe.eu
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Nothing to stop you having them as the doc read all voice and espeak as the day to day one though, using the profiles.

I do this with an old Speech platform one. the problem I've always had with Microsoft synths is the tendency to expand Americanised abbreviations, and pronounce certain words strangely. The latter can be fixed in dictionary entries, but no solution
to English post codes like KT 4 11NY ending up as 1 New york.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Manually in the property sheet. go too speech, then the synth then change and fiddle it then ok it again. However if its an update you should see no change from what you use now. its only for new installs.
[...]

does this still happen if you do the apply settings to log in etc?
On here it is Espeak if I elect to copy the data over.
[...]

Kenny Peyattt jr. <p.wildcat1234@...>

I am still running windows 7 on my desktop, will I get the one core voices as part of the nvda update, or is it only for windows 10.

Kenny Peyatt jr.

Wow, that's neat about the one-core voices being the default voices now. I like e-speakbut the one-core voices sound more natural.

Rosemarie

HI everyone,

This week's In-Process is out, and it includes some of the goodness you can expect from NVDA 2018.2, plus an update on our first Certified Expert in India and a hat-tip to our Windows Insiders

#NVDAsr

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Hi,

Windows OneCore voices is part of Windows 10 only.

Cheers,

Joseph

I am still running windows 7 on my desktop, will I get the one core voices as part of the nvda update, or is it only for windows 10.

Kenny Peyatt jr.

Wow, that's neat about the one-core voices being the default voices now. I like e-speakbut the one-core voices sound more natural.

Rosemarie

HI everyone,

This week's In-Process is out, and it includes some of the goodness you can expect from NVDA 2018.2, plus an update on our first Certified Expert in India and a hat-tip to our Windows Insiders

#NVDAsr

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Gary Metzler

Hi Quentin,

I have the in process set up to come into outlook as an rss feed.  Does it take awhile for it to come into my feed list?  Thanks,

This week's In-Process is out, and it includes some of the goodness you can expect from NVDA 2018.2, plus an update on our first Certified Expert in India and a hat-tip to our Windows Insiders

#NVDAsr

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Hi Gary,

When I hit "Publish", I forgot to tag it as "In-Process".  I did go back and amend that last night - so it shows up on the https://www.nvaccess.org/category/in-process/ page, but maybe your RSS feed didn't pick that up?

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 4:22 AM, Gary Metzler <gmtravel@...> wrote:

Hi Quentin,

I have the in process set up to come into outlook as an rss feed.  Does it take awhile for it to come into my feed list?  Thanks,

This week's In-Process is out, and it includes some of the goodness you can expect from NVDA 2018.2, plus an update on our first Certified Expert in India and a hat-tip to our Windows Insiders

#NVDAsr

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Gary Metzler

Hi Quentin,

It showed up this afternoon.  Thanks,

This week's In-Process is out, and it includes some of the goodness you can expect from NVDA 2018.2, plus an update on our first Certified Expert in India and a hat-tip to our Windows Insiders

#NVDAsr

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Ah great, sorry about the delay.  It's the first time in ages I've forgotten to tag the post properly to begin with.