screenwriting software that works with NVDA

Giles Turnbull

Hi all,

has anybody used screenwriting programs successfully with NVDA? When I start my MA in creative writing in October I'd like to take the movie/TV screenwriting module, but am going to need to use software to handle the routine screenwriting formatting. I'd appreciate any suggestions on which software works well with NVDA and any that doesn't.

Grateful for any suggestions ... I know what software is available but do not know anybody who has used them with a screen reader :)

Giles

Marshall handheld Flax

You want to use https://fountain.io/

It is a text-only format that has some simple markup to indicate formatting.  So you can use whatever text editor you wish -- notepad, wordpad, vi, emacs ... anything.

All you need to do is follow a few rules.  For example, transitions are a line that is all uppercase and ends with a colon.  A caret (shift-6) indicates two speakers are talking at once.  A line that starts with "int" or "ext" is a scene heading, etc.

Then there are different programs that will convert it to a pretty script at the very end.

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 10:20 AM, Giles Turnbull <giles.turnbull@...> wrote:
Hi all,

has anybody used screenwriting programs successfully with NVDA? When I start my MA in creative writing in October I'd like to take the movie/TV screenwriting module, but am going to need to use software to handle the routine screenwriting formatting. I'd appreciate any suggestions on which software works well with NVDA and any that doesn't.

Grateful for any suggestions ... I know what software is available but do not know anybody who has used them with a screen reader :)

Giles

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Am I right in thinking that anything written to screen this way is inherently inaccessible as its graphics based?
Should we really be being complicit in such an endeavour? :-)

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 10:20 AM, Giles Turnbull <giles.turnbull@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi all,

has anybody used screenwriting programs successfully with NVDA? When I
start my MA in creative writing in October I'd like to take the movie/TV
screenwriting module, but am going to need to use software to handle the
routine screenwriting formatting. I'd appreciate any suggestions on which
software works well with NVDA and any that doesn't.

Grateful for any suggestions ... I know what software is available but do
not know anybody who has used them with a screen reader :)

Giles

Marshall handheld Flax

Brian, I think it's exactly the opposite...not graphics based at all.

You do need punctuation to be read, since a stage direction is surrounded by double-asterisks.  For example: **FADE IN:**
And you do need to have all-caps word sound different from mixed-capitalization words, since an all-cap line indicates who is speaking.

But  I can't see any reason why these would be significant barriers!  A longer example is at https://fountain.io/_downloads/Big-Fish.fountain

Marshall

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 12:41 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
Am I right in thinking that anything written to screen this way is inherently inaccessible as its graphics based?
Should we really be being complicit in such an endeavour? :-)

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marshall handheld Flax" <m.droid.flax@...>

wrote:

Hi all,

has anybody used screenwriting programs successfully with NVDA? When I
start my MA in creative writing in October I'd like to take the movie/TV
screenwriting module, but am going to need to use software to handle the
routine screenwriting formatting. I'd appreciate any suggestions on which
software works well with NVDA and any that doesn't.

Grateful for any suggestions ... I know what software is available but do
not know anybody who has used them with a screen reader :)

Giles

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think it depends like everything else on the tool that made it and whether it was accessible or not.

m.droid.flax@gmail.com>

wrote:

Hi all,

has anybody used screenwriting programs successfully with NVDA? When I
start my MA in creative writing in October I'd like to take the movie/TV
screenwriting module, but am going to need to use software to handle the
routine screenwriting formatting. I'd appreciate any suggestions on which
software works well with NVDA and any that doesn't.

Grateful for any suggestions ... I know what software is available but do
not know anybody who has used them with a screen reader :)

Giles

Giles Turnbull

thnks so much, Marshall, I will give that a go!

Brian, I don't think the medium of screen writing is something that blind people shouldn't do ... that would be like saying that blind people shouldn't write books because they can't read them! A screenplay is the script behind movies and, with descriptive audio versions we watch those quite happily. If the software to write a screenplay correctly is inaccessible that is a different matter and, just as when there are times when a program doesn't work with NVDA we might turn to JAWS or Narrator, if the two scriptwriting programs I've tried are not very accessible then I just need to find one that is ... and fingers crossed Marshall's suggestion sounds promising :)