Topics

Subject lines, was, Meet NVDA 2016.2, bringing spelling error beep, grammar error detection and more to your work, home and everything in between #NVAccess #release

Gene

Will people please change subject lines when starting a new thread?  This has nothing to do with the old thread.  Also, all the irrelevant old messages were retained.  Please either start a completely new thread or if you use reply, delete everything and then start a completely new message and subject line.

for one thing, people will be less likely to read your message when the subject line has nothing to do with what it is.  For another, it causes the archives not to reflect what is being discussed accurately in a thread.  And third, people who read messages by conversation will not have their mail organized accurately by subject.

I may remind people of this more often.  This isn't something to punish people about but it is my view that one of the functions of a list should be to teach and make people more aware of what are considered good practices on lists.  I almost never see this done and the result is that things don't improve because people aren't reminded and nudged toward improving practices.

Gene

Gene,

        I agree with you, absolutely, but I also have tired of hearing this lecture, repeatedly, on the various groups because it doesn't change anything.  I have to believe that moderators on groups.io have the same capability that moderators on most forums do and can split threads, move various posts to the threads they've just created by the split, and retitle those new threads.

        Please, please, please start asking moderators to do this, because that does create value for future searchers and gets the point across when a certain someone or someones suddenly find their tangents, which are often valuable in their own right, suddenly in new and appropriately titled threads, preferably with a note that it was necessary to split it because it broke topic continuity.

        The lectures do not and will not work.  I've been around this block way too many times to say anything otherwise.  If you have these powers please use them; if you don't then please ask for them.

On the lists I'm on, I almost never see this brought up.  Maybe on lists you are on, it is raised more often.  I have no idea what the result would be if it were raised more often here.  I'm not talking about a daily or perhaps two day reminder.  I'm talking about perhaps a weekly reminder or when a particularly egregious example occurs.  How are people going to learn if such matters are almost never discussed?

Gene

Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2016 8:28 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Subject lines, was, Meet NVDA 2016.2, bringing spelling error beep, grammar error detection and more to your work, home and everything in between #NVAccess #Release

[...]

          I've never said it shouldn't be discussed, as I have proposed in the past a monthly posting about "netiquette" with regard to forums and mailing lists, and it has fallen on deaf ears.  I think such a posting would be a good thing for reminding regulars and for teaching newbies.

          I can tell you that a lecturing tone, and your post is not unique in that regard, tend to put people off immediately.  Thread drift is inevitable to some extent and when there isn't a real continuity break of significance (there are related tangents) it is best tolerated.  I try my best to set an example whenever possible by answering valid tangents that deserve an answer by creating a new thread with a new title when answering them.

          And, again, it's of far more value for the archive if when egregious examples occur the moderator(s) take it upon themselves to rectify the issue for the sake of the historical record and to create an example of "how it should be done" when someone has flagrantly ignored that.  Since I am not a moderator here I do not know exactly what "the powers" are.  On one other forum (and it applies equally if your access is via e-mail) I use as much as this one the moderators regularly move posts that have landed in the wrong group to the group where it belongs.  One of the nice things there is that the forum software leaves a "move marker" where the information was originally posted that shoots anyone who clicks on the topic directly to its new and appropriate location.  Of course, that latter feature is not something that works when dealing with e-mail going out, but the new messages that would be generated by thread splitting does.

Lino Morales

I agree with you Brian. I've been on way too many email lists over the past 13 years or so.