Question about Web Browsing

Christopher Gray

Hi:

Please forgive a somewhat open-ended question. I come to NVDA with just over a week of experience, and things have gone pretty well. Before now, I have been a Cobra users for many years, back to about 1994, and when necessary a Window-Eyes user. Those are my points of reference. I have reveiwed and then read the NVDA User manual on the online Help system and found it pretty useful.

The area where I'm having some trouble is in web browsing, mostly on Amazon.com thus far. I am used to having a command in Cobra, ctrl+f, which was an internal Find command, not an Internet Explorer command. Is there an equivalent in NVDA or some alternative technique available to find things on a screen without disturbing the screen itself or opening some sort of mode in the software program itself?? Also, after I choose an item to examine or purchase on Amazon, that part of the screen seems to go blank. I don't know how to get things to reset. Any NVDA advice on this would be most welcome.

I've seen some conversation here about Chrome and if my best solution is to start using Chrome, I could do that. Is there NVDA/Chrome-based information to help me get started?

Any pointers to commands or an overall approach will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Chris

Have you considered Annual Giving or including a gift to Missouri Council of the Blind in
your Will or Estate Plan? Contact me as shown below and I can help you with this.

Christopher Gray, Executive Director
Missouri Council of the Blind

5453 Chippewa
St. Louis, MO 63109
Phone: (314) 832-7172
Toll-free: (800) 342-5632
Fax: (314) 832-7796

Like Jazz? Want to know more about jazz?
Tune into "A Journey into Jazz" with the Jazz Guys on the Global Voice, Chris and Don.
Listen live each Wednesday at 00:00 Utc, 7:00 P.M. Eastern, 4:00 P.M. Pacific
Find us by going to theglobalvoice.info/broadband.pls.
Can't listen live? go to theglobalvoice.info and choose the "Listen to
Past Shows" link any time during the week after each live broadcast.
You can also go to the link www.jazzguys.libsyn.com for the podcasts!
Or, subscribe to us through iTunes or TuneIn Radio.

Jackie

Hello, Christopher. The command you're looking for is NVDA + control +
f. When I say "NVDA", I mean the modifier key you've chosen as your
NVDA key, ie, caps lock, numpad insert, etc. HTH.

On 5/15/18, Christopher Gray <chris@moblind.org> wrote:
[...]

Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com

Christopher Gray

Good deal, many thanks.

Chris

On Tue, 15 May 2018, Jackie wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Could you expand on the amazon issue. i cannot say I've noticed this behaviour, though their use of frams and carousel based suggestions can be a little irritating at times!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

With the NVDA internal Find command, let me experiment further and then come back to the list.

Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Gray" <chris@moblind.org>
[...]

Walker, Michael E

You could just use Amazon's mobile site, instead of the main one, if it meets your needs. That will get you around the fancy carousel stuff.

[...]

Christopher Gray, Executive Director Missouri Council of the
Blind

--
Remember! Friends Help Friends Be Cybersafe Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com

[...]

Is that m.amazon.com? They used to have a screenreader-optomized site, but I'm not seeing that link any longer.

Chris

On Wed, 16 May 2018, Walker, Michael E wrote:

[...]

Just go to amazon.com and look for their accessibility link. It may not be labeled "accessibility", but with pressing CTRL+HOME to get to the top of the page and maybe some tabbing, you should find it. I do most of my shopping on my iPhone with Amazon's app.

[...]

Ervin, Glenn

The accessibility link is not the same as the mobile page.
I stopped using the accessible page, and if you go there once, a cookie will need to be manually removed if you ever want the regular page.
Basically, it is more work to get the wanted info from the accessible page, because they are separate links on the page.
And I like all the information from the regular page.
You just need to make use of jumping by headings and the like.
But if there is an actual mobile page, I might like that.
Glenn

[...]

I thought I remembered the accessibility link being the same as the mobile site years ago. It must have changed. I know a lot of sites did encourage use of the mobile version for accessibility. It seemed Amazon did at one point. Does anyone know when that changed?

I certainly agree with using headings and other screen reader navigation shortcuts. Try the main site with screen reader proficiency. If that does not work, click on the accessibility link.

[...]

It is pretty slimmed down, with separate links for details and reviews and questions and answers.
I make use of all that information, and I don't like having to open a new page or window for that info.
Also, sometimes I like the section called:
You might also like:
And
Other similar items
Neither of which are on the accessible page.
But I had a hell of a time getting my browser to not open it after I opened it once until I went in and removed its cookie and removed it from history.
It just kept coming up, no matter what I typed in for the URL.
I complained to Amazon's use of this, and maybe it does not highjack your browser any more.
Glenn

[...]

Glenn, thank you for submitting the complaint to Amazon about not being able to revert back to the main site, without deleting cookies. I am someone who does find it easier to let a new page load for certain information at certain times. At others, I like everything on one page. For me, it boils down to how busy the specific page is, and how long it takes me to find the information I need, even when I am browsing with screen reader heading commands, tables, by paragraph, etc. So, I do not have a single workflow. It is situational. My point, then, is that people should have the right to choose the browsing method that works best for them. If they prefer the stripped down interface, they should use that. However, when they are ready to revert back to the full version, they should have that right, too.

The workflow I described above is not unique to Amazon. When I use Facebook, it is another one where I usually just like to use m.facebook.com, unless there is something I cannot get from that site, and need the main site.

[...]

Chris Chaffin

This is the version of the Amazon site I use, and I have no problem going back to the main site if that is what I want.

http://www.amazon.com/access

Hope this helps,

Chris

On May 16, 2018, at 3:26 PM, Walker, Michael E <michael.e.walker3@boeing.com> wrote:

[...]

I do that too with FaceBook, that is, the m.FaceBook page.
Glenn

[...]

I hope nobody else has that sticky cookie problem that I had after visiting that access page.
Glenn

[...]

Very helpful, thank you.

Chris

On Wed, 16 May 2018, Chris Chaffin wrote:

[...]

I just tried:
https://m.amazon.com/
and that does not work.
I know there are other URLs for mobile sites, maybe someone on a phone or tablet can go to Amazon's site and send us the exact URL for the mobile site.
Glenn

[...]

I just went to Amazon.com on my phone, and this is the address it gave:
https://www.amazon.com

Chris

On May 16, 2018, at 3:44 PM, Ervin, Glenn <glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov> wrote:

[...]

That is just the regular URL.
Seems like there is some code one can put in their browser settings to always open the mobile version.
Basically, I think that this setting sends the message to the site that this is a mobile device.
Not sure how to do that though.
Otherwise, I don't know what other things to try, since that replacing WWW with an M does not work.
Glenn

[...]

Devin Prater

This may take some digging around, but see if your browser allows the user agent to be changed. You may have to enable developer mode.