Sound Forge 12.5

Christopher Gray

Hello:

As some will know, Magix now owns and updates Sound Forge. The most recent release is 12.5.

This version is not working very well at all with NVDA. Even the simplest of activities, highlighting a segment of audio and getting it to play back is not working for me. Also, my position in a sound file tends to jump around in ways I don't understand. Suddenly, I might find myself 2-3 minutes into a file for no reason at all.

Anybody know of a fix for this?

Chris

Have you considered Annual Giving or including a gift to Missouri Council of the Blind in
your Will or Estate Plan? Contact me as shown below and I can help you with this.

Christopher Gray, Executive Director
Missouri Council of the Blind

5453 Chippewa
St. Louis, MO 63109
Phone: (314) 832-7172
Toll-free: (800) 342-5632
Fax: (314) 832-7796

Like Jazz? Want to know more about jazz?
Tune into "A Journey into Jazz" with the Jazz Guys on the Global Voice, Chris and Don.
Listen live each Wednesday at 00:00 Utc, 7:00 P.M. Eastern, 4:00 P.M. Pacific
Find us by going to theglobalvoice.info/broadband.pls.
Can't listen live? go to theglobalvoice.info and choose the "Listen to
Past Shows" link any time during the week after each live broadcast.
You can also go to the link www.jazzguys.libsyn.com for the podcasts!
Or, subscribe to us through iTunes or TuneIn Radio.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Does anyone know if jaws is OK with the new version. I was not aware that nvda had been tested with any version since it went mega commercial.
I'm using Goldwave here, but obviously the program you are using has a chequered career and has been written by lots of different folk over the years, I'd not be surprised if accessibility is quite low on their radar. We would normally say, if you are a paying customer and it used to work before, that you should be able to have a word with them about changes like this. I think the general advice is to contact them, and then if they seem not to want to fix it, take either further action or see if anyone can write a patch for nvda, but if the program costs money it can be difficult to find somebody to do it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

Yes, I am told that Jaws works well with the Version 12 series. Brian Hartgen, I believe, has a comprehensive set of Jaws scripts and tutorials. Cobra had its own scripts for Soundforge 9 and 10, but 12 is new and Baum had developed no replacement before its current dormancy.

Soundforge has always required scripting and I sincerely doubt one can get anywhere by contacting them about accessibility issues.

Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Gray" <chris@moblind.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:49 PM

[...]

Uh, I'm not meaning hear to be rude, but as a professional sound engineer, I
can say with absolute certainty, that unless there is functionality I'm not
seeing, which is unlikely, I use Soundforge almost daily with no scripts,
unless they come preinstalled with JAWS, and I'm able to do quite a lot. I
can edit, mix, master, etc. I've been able to ever since version 4.5 way
back in the days, which is when I first started using it.

Anyway, I mean this with all due respect, but, alas, I digress.

Chris.

Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:49 PM

[...]

Jaws, as with Cobra, scripts come as part of the Jaws install. That is what several Jaws users have told me. Brian Hartgen's scripts are in addition.

Be all this as it may, Soundforge 12.5 is not working with NVDA and that, for me, is a huge issue. What is the process in NVDA to start discovering a solution for this?

Chris

Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:49 PM

[...]

Lino Morales

                Chris. Sounds like a lesson which some on here can show how you to do better than I is to file a ticket using Gethub. This is beyond my understanding. Good luck.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jaws, as with Cobra, scripts come as part of the Jaws install.  That is what

several Jaws users have told me.  Brian Hartgen's scripts are in addition.

Be all this as it may, Soundforge 12.5 is not working with NVDA and that, for

me, is a huge issue.  What is the process in NVDA to start discovering a

solution for this?

Chris

On Wed, 16 May 2018, Christopher-Mark Gilland wrote:

> Uh, I'm not meaning hear to be rude, but as a professional sound engineer, I

> can say with absolute certainty, that unless there is functionality I'm not

> seeing, which is unlikely, I use Soundforge almost daily with no scripts,

> unless they come preinstalled with JAWS, and I'm able to do quite a lot. I

> can edit, mix, master, etc. I've been able to ever since version 4.5 way

> back in the days, which is when I first started using it.

> Anyway, I mean this with all due respect, but, alas, I digress.

> Chris.

Steve Nutt

Hi Brian,

To be honest, I've pretty much moved to Reaper now, because of Osara, which
of course, works well with NVDA, as our own Jamie wrote it.

Reaper also does non-destructive editing, so you can keep your original
files, and play to your heart's content.

All the best

Steve

[...]

Hi Chris,

Well try the mix paste dialogue then, it is inaccessible with any screen
reader, unless of course, you just accept the defaults.

All the best

Steve

Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:49 PM

[...]

Christopher Gray, Executive Director Missouri Council of the Blind

[...]

Which makes me wonder if something else is going on here.
I guess if it were an issue with dll registration it should show up elsewhere. But you can always try the pre release master branch and run the tool to re register the dlls, I have a feeling it does this on install in any case.

Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:49 PM

[...]

Yes I'm being poked to go that way, but the work I mostly do is OK with Goldwave. keep it simple always, unless you have to do otherwise, a mantra Microsoft seemingly do not agree with!

[...]

I'm not understanding what the mix paste dialog has to do with my original question. Maybe more detail could be helpful.

However, I think this whole discussion is missing the fundamental point that in Soundforge 12.5, you really can't even get to square one in terms of use. Opening a file and selecting a piece of it to delete or move is fundamental to most tasks. It doesn't work in NVDA. Keeping your place in a file is absolutely necessary in order to perform a multitude of tasks in sound editing. Stability of your location in NVDA doesn't exist right now.

Soundforge 10 does work in Jaws, Cobra and Window-Eyes. Soundforge 12.5 does work in Jaws with scripts. If I'm going to be a serious NVDA user, I need it to work in NVDA. I have no doubt this is equally true for the many other blind Soundforge users out there, and there are a lot of them.

Chris

Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:49 PM

[...]

No I was referring to What Chris Gilland said about Sound Forge being
completely accessible. No way is it.

All the best

Steve

Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:49 PM

[...]

Lenron

I downloaded the demo of sound forge 12.5 and had no luck with it with
NVDA. So decided to stick with reaper.

Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:49 PM

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832

Jitendra Kumar

Those scripts are from jim snowman
Snowmanradio.com, and as you know, they are for JAWS.
I herd somewhere that new soundforge are becoming accessible, magics
is listening to accessibility feedbacks.
But I know that much for sure, Chris, the developer of goldwave
listens always, when I developed and updated JAWS scripts for
Goldwave, I had him changed many parts, feature-sets and other things
to improve goldwave.
Try writing soundforge people, perhaps you get a luck.

Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:49 PM

[...]

Jeet.delhi

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Reaper is better in my view anyway, and has lots more training resources for blind users.

All the best

Steve