espeak issue fixed

Hi all.
Ok here is a solution to the espeak issue.
This will go on the skype group as well
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7e35z5au9bc05vh/espeak.7z?dl=1
Anyway, testing looks as if its the espeakdata itself either the phonem or the actual synth data.
What I did.
While I was not able to find previous releases of 2016-2015 in compiled form I was able to find via sourceforge 2014.4 and this had espeak in it.
I coppied over the espeakdata folder over itself in nvda program folder.
While this will have to be done for just about every coppy it does mean that while espeak will remain the new ng with the voice as it is, the squished crap is at least back to normal.
I have not tried to override the espeak dll but the link has 2 folders synthdrivers which has the old espeak state from 2014.4 and the new ng dataset.
Anyway, it looks like its the data files rather than the driver itself.
So if we can figure out what the hell is going on with this, then it may be easier to fix than we first thought.
Now I didn't replace the driver because although it has some harsh elements I wanted to see what this would do.
Its fixed it such that the mangled squished elements are gone.
This file will remain up until at least we can fix it.
Aniother way is to download the latest old espeak sapi and run it I have yet to see compiled ng binaries for windows sapi, etc so till we see that and as long as sourceforge keeps the depricated espeak project up we will be ok.
To the devs and such trying to solve this especially if you have access to the espeak list which I have no desire to handle and since this may happen on multiple platforms it seems to be the database itself or something in the database causing the trouble currently faced.
I am unsure about what part of the database is naff though, this will require some other beepstard to troubleshoot.
I'd like to but I have never fiddled with this and pluss I am not that interested.
For all users though this is one way out of the current issue for now.
The buty of this is as long as we replace the data we can still use the latest engine.
I will keep other units the same however as it is not needed that we fiddle with our units like this but at least for my own personal it will work.

Sharni-Lee Ward

I just did this and succeeded in screwing up my copy of NVDA. I copied in the "Espeak Data" folder as was suggested, and suddenly everything NVDA was saying was incomprehensible to me. I tried to undo what I'd done. All I ended up with was silence. Horrible, horrible, unbroken silence. With sighted help, I did a system restore, which accomplished nothing, then had to resort to using a portable copy of NVDA which I hadn't updated since 2015.2, uninstalling NVDA from my computer, reinstalling it from the portable copy and updating it back to 2016.2. I've probably lost a few dictionary entries and I'm right back where I started, but I infinitely prefer speech with a few squished syllables to no NVDA at all. Did I mention after I tried undo NVDA wouldn't even start, probably because it's default synth had been stuffed around with? Oh yeah, it did that.

I am never, ever messing with my screen readers data files again.

On 4/06/2016 7:21 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Gene

It isn't a case of experimenting or not experimenting.  Backing up the folder so you could replace it with the original should be done if you are ever going to experiment in this way.  or, you could have the installer create a portable version and experiment with that.  Dictionary files can, and should, be backed up regardless of whether you experiment with NVDA.  They should be backed up just as any files you don't want to lose should be backed up.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2016 7:44 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] espeak issue fixed

[...]

Regardless, I'm not messing with that again until there's a more official fix for the problem. That was the most harrowing half hour of my life and I have no desire to relive it.

Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2016 7:44 AM

[...]

I was saying what I did in case you wanted to experiment with NVDA in future.  I was saying that experimenting with a portable version is safe.  I was addressing the question for the future because there may be times when you would benefit significantly by making changes to NVDA.

Also, my speech dictionary is not large but I have built it up slowly during a number of years.  I have it backed up so I can put a new copy into NVDA if necessary.  It is important to do this to guard against loss of the dictionary.

Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2016 7:44 AM

[...]

Okay. I can completely understand that. I didn't have to re-add many words, as I've added very few since last august, but as I don't remember where the dictionary files that I created are stored, and since I've hardly tinkered with anything in that location since the year before last, I haven't backed up those dictionaries yet. Please don't be angry with me. I wasn't dismissing your advice out-of-hand. I was, however, still recovering from the shock of nearly losing use of my computer due to my screwing up (without a screen reader, I may as well not have a computer), and alternating between thanking God I had a portable copy so close at hand and cursing the file that had gotten me into this mess in the first place.

Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2016 7:44 AM

[...]

I was never angry but my first message may have been too insistent because I didn't want you to lose the option of testing in future.  I don't know where the dictionary files are in the installed version.  In the portable version, they are in a subfolder of the userconfig folder.  You can simply back up the entire folder or whatever file or files you want from the folder.

it would probably be a good idea if the dictionary dialog you use for adding or removing items had an import and export option.

Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2016 7:44 AM

[...]

Hmmm?
Well I did do this and this has fixed my nvda I am not sure why yours didn't fix.

On 5/06/2016 12:44 a.m., Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:

[...]

if that is the case, switch to a portable delete espeakdata and coppy the older version over.
and if this doesn't work delete the espeak dll and coppy it over.
it worked for me on win7 pro 32 bit no uac but was I lucky?
In any case for me it thinks I have espeak ng, but things work.
I do use max though and standard english.

[...]

I actually included a backup in the espeak ng folder for that reason.
For me it all worked out.

On 5/06/2016 1:54 a.m., Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
[...]

Well, often its a very good idea before any kind of fiddling like this to create a portable version from it as it is in a folder you can get to easily. That way, you can in fact get back quite easily I find.
This Espeak issue is weird as nobody I know who uses it here has any issues. If this is just perhaps in one language other than UK English this would I imagine point to an eror in the data.
As for why it screwed up, many reasons for this one. It only needs one file to not copy or there to be other errors, and the engine will just give up. Often another synth will work though.
I guess its a bit like gambling. Only gamble if you can afford to lose your money/data in this case.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Brian, try listening to the Linda voice. I use Linda, as up until this
update, she was the only female voice I could stand, and I'm so used to
her that I can't handle any other voice for long periods, even with this
issue. Listen to words like "updated" and "message" and "notice" for the
problem I'm having. I use the default English voice and my inflection's
at 100%, if that helps any.

I confess I was so desperate to get rid of the problem that I didn't
think before acting. I'm still extremely wary of doing this again, but
if a more concrete solution is provided, I'll test it out on a portable
copy as has been recommended.