Question About Portable Installation of NVDA

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Well, I got my new old back up computer--a Windows 7 with 4 GB RAM and a duel core processor.

I do not have speech on it. This was semi-deliberate. That is to say, the seller wasn't familiar with that type of thing. I got the system set up and it boots into Windows; no problem. I thought I'd be cool and advanced and create a portable version of NVDA to gain audible access to the system. I created it from the 2016.2 installer no problem. I placed it on a USB drive and created a shortcut so that when I heard the Windows sound on the new system for USB active, I could just press the corresponding first letter to navigate to the shortcut and press enter. It worked fine on my new main system. I tried this on the new old system and for some reason, It doesn't work. When I highlight the shortcut that i created which begins with an exclamation point, and press enter, nothing happens. What could I be doing wrong?

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Joe Paton

Hi Ron,

Might this be a drive letter problem? Can you check with narrator?

Just some thoughts late at night in the uk.

Joe

On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 16:59:14 -0400
"Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@...> wrote:

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Re the drive letter issue, that is - say when you created the shortcut you only had the USB plugged in, but now you have a portable hard drive or your phone plugged in to the computer, they might appear to the computer first, so the USB you have NVDA on isn't exactly where it was (in Windows - you may not have ever moved it physically) so the shortcut won't work.

Particularly if that is the issue, you can install NVDA (full or portable) on your computer's hard drive and still not necessarily have it start automatically if you don't want to - NVDA only takes up about 85MB installed so should easily fit on any computer that can run it.

Also if you are using the portable version, make sure you are aware of the limitations with this way of running NVDA: http://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html?#toc10

Kind regards

Quentin.

"Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@...> wrote:

[...]

Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Kenny Dog <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Which way are you trying to do it? is the shortcut on the desktop and
you have it pointing to your usb stick?

A while ago I put together a page for both the usb stick and CD version
of NVDA when you wanted to take it portable.

The CD version works fine as long as the autoplay part is enabled and
also under the run or install section.

The usb sitck can be started a few different ways depending if the
autoplay menu is on or not.

Any how there is tutorials on how to do this for windows 7 and windows
10 if you are interested.

They can be found on my nvda audio tutorials page at
http://accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20audio%20tutorials.html

When you get to it jump down by heading to the sections that refer to
the usb version and Cd version.

Where there is a windows log on screen I have not even gone there and do
not know if it can be done that way.

Gene nz

On 5/06/2016 8:59 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

Hi JOe,

I thought of that just after I sent the message. It was a drive letter issue. It's solved.

"Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Jean,

I placed the shortcut in the root of the USB drive and the only other thing on it was the folder containing NVDA system files. The issue was that I wasn't sure which drive was being recognized as the USB drive. I ran narrator (which I should have done before I made the post to this list) and found that out. Everything is good.

[...]

Try using Narrator and see if a message comes up that you need to respond to to allow it to run.  It could be UAC or something else.