open live writer is not accessible yet.

hey guys, this windows desktop client looks like it is gonna be a great blog editor and overall blogging software. Only problem is, the editor is not accessible to NVDA and I am assuming JAWS. the menus and options are accessible, but the editor itself is made out of some kind of HTML frame. NVDA treats it like a web page rather than a text editor. The accessibility thread is below but it is basically me trying to get others to understand how a screen reader works and why they should make open live writer accessible.

https://github.com/OpenLiveWriter/OpenLiveWriter/issues/394

Jackie

Robert, first, I commend your efforts in terms of trying to make Open
Live Writer accessible, just because I commend accessibility efforts
in general. Might I be forgiven, however, for asking why you or anyone
else for that matter would want a big clunky piece of desktop software
when there's a simple solution called Markdown? Markdown is a way to
format text & turn it into html markup language. Examples include:
# (number signs) for each heading level of text, ie,
## this is a 2nd level heading ##
### this is a 3rd level heading

The closing # signs are optional.

Asterisks for bulleted lists, ie,
* 1st list item;
* 2nd list item
etc.
Numbers for numbered list items, ie,
1) number 1
2) number 2

Bold text looks like *bold* or **bold** for greater emphasis. Under
lined text is _underlined_, ie, surrounded by the underscore.

That's just a small sampling, but a quick google for markdown tutorial
will give you a slew of results that could keep you reading for far
longer than either you would have time for or that would be necessary.
It's pretty easy.

There are plugins, for example, in WordPress, that allow markdown
formatting. It can also be enabled in Drupal's CK Editor. A simple
text editor called Write Monkey, available from
http://writemonkey.com/
supports exports of its documents to various flavors of Markdown. But
any text editor can create the Markdown formatted document. You don't
even have to have an internet connection.

My comments are not meant to be disrespectful. Quite the contrary, in
fact. I've fought w/my share of software in my day, & I'm happy to do
so & even make screenreader access solutions for it if I must. But
what I've learned is that if you don't have to do it, don't. &
w/Markdown, the truth is you just don't have to fight w/all the
toolbars & selecting text, making certain you've got it all selected,
etc, which can be a real pain across multiple lines. If this isn't
something you've heard of before, you might wish to take the time to
have a look. The learning time is wel under an hour, unless your
document contains complex formatting, but even w/footnotes, endnotes,
links, etc, it's still not that difficult.

It might just be something you'd find worthwhile in your writing toolbox.

On 5/19/18, Robert Kingett <kingettr@...> wrote:
hey guys, this windows desktop client looks like it is gonna be a great
blog editor and overall blogging software. Only problem is, the editor
is not accessible to NVDA and I am assuming JAWS. the menus and options
are accessible, but the editor itself is made out of some kind of HTML
frame. NVDA treats it like a web page rather than a text editor. The
accessibility thread is below but it is basically me trying to get
others to understand how a screen reader works and why they should make
open live writer accessible.

https://github.com/OpenLiveWriter/OpenLiveWriter/issues/394

Jackie McBride
https://brighter-vision.com

The fact its opensource means we may have a chance of making it accessible.

Depending what is needed if someone on here can and has time a module could be written for it.

The easiest way for the program itself would be if we got nvda controler to be in it some how.

Ofcause if its treating things like web pages, you would only have to use standard forms for things as long as all the links and buttons are labeled and we have fields then well.

It also depends on how its written, being this is a git thing maybe someone on here could upload something to the project.

We could also write an addon or a config for nvda and put it somewhere.

On 5/20/2018 12:44 PM, Robert Kingett wrote:
hey guys, this windows desktop client looks like it is gonna be a great blog editor and overall blogging software. Only problem is, the editor is not accessible to NVDA and I am assuming JAWS. the menus and options are accessible, but the editor itself is made out of some kind of HTML frame. NVDA treats it like a web page rather than a text editor. The accessibility thread is below but it is basically me trying to get others to understand how a screen reader works and why they should make open live writer accessible.

https://github.com/OpenLiveWriter/OpenLiveWriter/issues/394

.

Brian's Mail list account

I'd have said to them, because we are just as much users as everyone else and we hate discrimination. I do not know what the law says in the country you or the software writers are in, but a bit of gentle suggestion about the legality of such things can reap rewards, as long as you are persistent.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

hey guys, this windows desktop client looks like it is gonna be a great blog editor and overall blogging software. Only problem is, the editor is not accessible to NVDA and I am assuming JAWS. the menus and options are accessible, but the editor itself is made out of some kind of HTML frame. NVDA treats it like a web page rather than a text editor. The accessibility thread is below but it is basically me trying to get others to understand how a screen reader works and why they should make open live writer accessible.

https://github.com/OpenLiveWriter/OpenLiveWriter/issues/394

Jackie

Unfortunately, I don't know of any country where opensource voluntary
efforts are covered by law.

<bglists@...> wrote:
[...]

Hey there! A tad late coming into the party! BUT I am very familiar with markdown. I usually publish by email, to a wordpress.com blog, or use IFTTT to post my blog via text message or twitter DM, but I like the idea of just firing up one program where all my blog accounts are stored, including, Medium. I saw they were working on adding medium integration, which would allow me to take more journalism jobs because publishers are moving to a subscription model on medium so us writers can get paid. I publish my own member exclusive content to Medium, but I have yet to find an accessible desktop solution that can publish straight to these platforms without me having to sign in every time. Further down the thread, they explain that it can be done, but, with me being a writer, and editor, I didn't quite get what it's coded in, even. NVDA is treating the text editor like it is an HTML web page, rather than a text editor. I tried looking for a LibreOffice to blogger or LibreOffice to medium, or, LibreOffice to wordpress.com, not .org solution, but none exists. I find that for me, writing in a web interface is slow and clunky. I will download that text editor and try it out! I have Jarte Pro, portable version, but, strangely enough, Jarte treats markdown like it's a typo.

OWL looks dead. I've been looking for markdown writing software that just so happens to work with NVDA. Sure, I can write in notepad but I want to be lazy and not do everything manually. I've found the below. I have no idea if it is accessible though. The best markdown editors and blog publishers are for the Mac, strangely enough.

http://markdownpad.com/

Jackie

It's not. Please try:
www.writemonkey.com