NVDA-2016.2 Slows Down with Firefox

Rob

System: Windows 7, NVDA 2016.2, Firefox, any version.
This has always been an ongoing problem, but it seems to be more prevalent now.
If you have a number of tabs open in Firefox, NVDA will begin to slow down appreciably in the program. Responses to key presses are delayed and using the browser becomes problematic and inefficient. The only solution is to restart firefox.
In previous versions of NVDA, this decrease in responsivness took a while to manifest--sometimes I could work for a whole day and NVDA would not slow down until the next.
However, now it barely takes six to ten hours for this slowness to occur. The only way to reproduce this step is to to work in Firefox for a while, with a number of tabs open.
I do not know if this same slowness occurs in Internet Explorer, Chrome or Edge.
I would like to know if others have experienced this decrease in performance, and what--if any--solutions are available to counteract this problem.

Andre Fisher

I don't think NVDA is slowing down, rather, Firefox, through its
latest updates, have begun to become less and less accessible. I am
not speaking from experience, however, because I do not face this
issue. Opening many tabs is not recommended in the first place.

On 6/7/16, Rob <captinlogic@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I have noticed this with my brother and dad who use firefox and chrome, but they have at least 5-10 windows of each.
I rarely have more than 2 tabs open.
The only time I do this is when I for example need to get files but I rarely use more than 1 at a time maybe thats showing my old dos days.
While I could do it now, I don't see any reason to do it or at least as a perminant fixture.

On 8/06/2016 4:03 a.m., Rob wrote:
[...]

.

Kwork

Yes, but I've had this behavior in all three of the main browsers, with both
NVDA and Jaws, so I just close and re-open Firefox, my main browser, once in
a while, and only use the others when necessary.
Win 7, 64-bit.
Travis

[...]

I find that things for me move better by using separate windows rather than
tabs. Maybe try that as an option.
Options, general
Open new windows in a new tab instead
Make sure it's unchecked.
It may not fix things for you, but something to try. You can always go back
in and recheck it if you do prefer tab browsing.
Travis

[...]

Arlene

Hi, I've noticed that too. When I had firefox as my default browser! That is
why I put IE as default. I use firefox as needed.

[...]

Mário Navarro

Yes it's true.
It also happens to me on windows 10.
also occurs on internet explorer.

cheers.

On 8/06/2016 4:03 a.m., Rob wrote:
[...]

NVDA is not just slow in browsers, but also in the system.
after browsing for a while, it starts to get slow and I have to turn off and on to get normal again.
and my pc is a good machine with I5 processor, 4 RAM ..
with jaws these occurrences do not happen.
I now use the jaws 17 full-time for these reasons.
jaws is not slow in any situation like this occurred with NVDA.

I only use 3 extras.
I do not need anything else.

NVDA is getting slower and every a new version.
this makes me worry.

I think the team of NVDA has to think about this with more seriously.

cheers.
Às 01:25 de 08/06/2016, Kwork escreveu:

[...]

Sharni-Lee Ward

I haven't noticed this so much with Firefox, but I have noticed this a
couple times over the last few days in the ordinary system. I don't have
heaps of RAM like the person who gave their specs, but I have had this
problem crop up every now and again over the years. Usually, I can
restart NVDA without having to restart the computer, but when it came to
my Braille Display, things would lock up to the point where I'd have to
restart the entire system, sometimes requiring sighted help to do so. If
this hasn't been just me, then all those scans I did last year to try
and make everything run faster weren't effective because it wasn't my
system's fault. It was NVDA not responding. That is, of course, if the
problems are more widespread than I first thought.

On 8/06/2016 5:08 PM, Mário Navarro wrote:

[...]

Robert Mendoza

Were you able to figure out that crashes were in the Firefox or nvda. Typically, the crashes or freezing event to your machine if you open several application simultaneously that may leads to consumed memory or the RAM. Also, were you able to full restart your machine in order to clear up some program that was running in the background and this steps could helps and suffice your concerns.

Robert Mendoza

On 6/8/2016 3:08 PM, Mário Navarro wrote:

[...]

sorry friend, but I have not spoken in NVDA crashes.

my laptop does not have any problem whatever it is.
everything works perfectly.
NVDA is becoming heavier and it is that is the truth.
jaws works perfectly, NVDA is slow and heavy.

I hope I have made myself understood.
cheers.

Às 09:15 de 08/06/2016, Robert Mendoza escreveu:

[...]

I've only had the slow down issue with firefox afteer version 46 release. I also found that the very popular ad blocker slowed it down, and found another one in the add on list which seems much less resource hungry.

I'd not use 64 bit apps though, most seem to have issues.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Not seen this at all, wonder what else might be running to cause this? I find 8 gigs of ram speeds things up no end, so maybe its due to some kind of swapping.
[...]

Might be worth looking at what components are using the resources with task manager then, just in case its the virus scanner or real time protection.
[...]

Well, the odd thing is that even on old clunker single core machines, nvda seems to be still quite low in demand and fast. There has to be more to this.
Tell me have you looked at what the processor is doing. I turn off all power saving of course here as not only does this seem to result in multi cores runing slow, but the windows explorer never seems to catch up with what I'me actually hearing as selected.
It does when you make the processor cores run faster. I'm not sure how to do this in 10 yet though.
[...]

NVdA, if it slows down, doesn't slow down as you reported last year.  I've never seen the kinds of slow downs you described last year attributed to NVDA.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 2:55 AM

I haven't noticed this so much with Firefox, but I have noticed this a
couple times over the last few days in the ordinary system. I don't have
heaps of RAM like the person who gave their specs, but I have had this
problem crop up every now and again over the years. Usually, I can
restart NVDA without having to restart the computer, but when it came to
my Braille Display, things would lock up to the point where I'd have to
restart the entire system, sometimes requiring sighted help to do so. If
this hasn't been just me, then all those scans I did last year to try
and make everything run faster weren't effective because it wasn't my
system's fault. It was NVDA not responding. That is, of course, if the
problems are more widespread than I first thought.

On 8/06/2016 5:08 PM, Mário Navarro wrote:

> NVDA is not just slow in browsers, but also in the system.
> after browsing for a while, it starts to get slow and I have to turn
> off and on to get normal again.
> and my pc is a good machine with I5 processor, 4 RAM ..
> with jaws these occurrences do not happen.
> I now use the jaws 17 full-time for these reasons.
> jaws is not slow in any situation like this occurred with NVDA.
>
> I only use 3 extras.
>  I do not need anything else.
>
> NVDA is getting slower and every a new version.
> this makes me worry.
>
> I think the team of NVDA has to think about this with more seriously.
>
> cheers.
> Às 01:25 de 08/06/2016, Kwork escreveu:
>> Yes, but I've had this behavior in all three of the main browsers,
>> with both
>> NVDA and Jaws, so I just close and re-open Firefox, my main browser,
>> once in
>> a while, and only use the others when necessary.
>> Win 7, 64-bit.
>> Travis

hi.
i tested your problem and took the same result.
i use windows xp not powerful hardware nvda 2015.3 and firefox 41.
when i open many apps together nvda becomes very slow, not responsive
and difficult to use.
it happens specially for example: when i am sending one file in the
skype and also opened many apps and many tab in my firefox browser.
in most cases, i quit nvda and open it again to resolve the issue.
also sometimes maybe you open a graphical website that makes your
system slow and its very hevy to load.
hope thats help and god bless you.

[...]

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

Andre Fisher

NVDA is not being unresponsive, your computer is. These types of
activities are certainly not recommended for older operating systems.
What's more? You are using an outdated version of NVDA.

On 6/8/16, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Yes I often find though that the biggest slowing is when programs are booting in for the first time. This is indeed often due to the operating system allocating resources in a clumsy way, which is why it appears to be nvda doing it as its hooked in to many bits of software all the time.
[...]

Lino Morales

Mario. NVda works fine for me no matter where in WIN 10 I'm in except for Firefox. It is slow if I'm on news sites. I tend to only keep 2 tabs open everyday. The FB mobile site and the media center page for Gameday Audio for Major League Baseball.