Using NVDA with a Twitter Account

Rich De Steno <ironrock@...>

What is the easiest way to "follow" and "unfollow" sources with NVDA.  The official Twitter web site merely advises to "hover over the person with your mouse", offering no keyboard option.  I am using TW Blue and find no keyboard method of "following" or "unfollowing" a source.  Even the applications key fails to offer such an option.

--
Rich De Steno

Richard Bartholomew

If you press Alt+Win+K in TW Blue, you will bring up the keyboard manager and be able to find what you're looking for in there - I can't remember the keystroke off the top of my head, I'm afraid - assuming you haven't disabled this shortcut combination, of course.

Cheers
Richard Bartholomew

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rich De Steno
Sent: 20 May 2018 12:51
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Using NVDA with a Twitter Account

What is the easiest way to "follow" and "unfollow" sources with NVDA. The official Twitter web site merely advises to "hover over the person with your mouse", offering no keyboard option. I am using TW Blue and find no keyboard method of "following" or "unfollowing" a source. Even the applications key fails to offer such an option.

--
Rich De Steno

I have reviewed all of the keyboard shortcuts in TW Blue and find none for "unfollow" or "followw".

Rich De Steno

On 5/20/2018 8:20 AM, Richard Bartholomew wrote:
If you press Alt+Win+K in TW Blue, you will bring up the keyboard manager and be able to find what you're looking for in there - I can't remember the keystroke off the top of my head, I'm afraid - assuming you haven't disabled this shortcut combination, of course.

Cheers
Richard Bartholomew

What is the easiest way to "follow" and "unfollow" sources with NVDA. The official Twitter web site merely advises to "hover over the person with your mouse", offering no keyboard option. I am using TW Blue and find no keyboard method of "following" or "unfollowing" a source. Even the applications key fails to offer such an option.

--
Rich De Steno

Richard Bartholomew

It's Alt+Win+Shift+S and it's called 'Open the User Action Menu' - once that dialogue's open, you can tab around to find the options to follow, unfollow, block etc.

Sent: 20 May 2018 13:26
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using NVDA with a Twitter Account

I have reviewed all of the keyboard shortcuts in TW Blue and find none for "unfollow" or "followw".

Rich De Steno

Cheers
Richard Bartholomew

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rich De
Steno

--
Rich De Steno

Marcia Yale

I use Chicken Nugget on my Windows machine and it works great with NVDA. Usually the follow/unfollow commands are on the user details or profile screen, so find that screen in TW Blue and you should be able to find the buttons for following.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rich De Steno
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2018 7:51 AM

--
Rich De Steno

Giles Turnbull

I use the menu in TWBlue more than shortcut keys, but to follow or unfollow people mentioned in a tweet or from the searches, then I go to the user menu (ALT+u) which takes me straight away to the actions item, which is where you follow or unfollow people. If more than one user is mentioned then you'll find a combo box with the people mentioned, and you should select which person you want to apply the action to. I don't know what the autocomplete users button does because I've never used it. Next press of the tab key takes you to a list of actions you can apply, which are follow, unfolow, mute (their tweets do not show up in your timeline but you are still following them), block, unblock, and report as spam .. you navigate through those options using the cursor arrows, down or right take you down the list, and up or left take you back up the list. Tab to the OK button and you've applied the action to that account, i.e. you've followed them if that was the action you chose :)

Giles

Giles Turnbull

just to add, the application key does offer such options because the first item when you press the applications key is User Actions, which takes you to the meny I've just described.

Hope this helps :)

Giles

Okay, now I do see "follow", "unfollow" and other things when you press Enter on "actions" in the User dropdown menu.  Thanks.

On 5/20/2018 9:58 AM, Giles Turnbull wrote:
I use the menu in TWBlue more than shortcut keys, but to follow or unfollow people mentioned in a tweet or from the searches, then I go to the user menu (ALT+u) which takes me straight away to the actions item, which is where you follow or unfollow people. If more than one user is mentioned then you'll find a combo box with the people mentioned, and you should select which person you want to apply the action to. I don't know what the autocomplete users button does because I've never used it. Next press of the tab key takes you to a list of actions you can apply, which are follow, unfolow, mute (their tweets do not show up in your timeline but you are still following them), block, unblock, and report as spam .. you navigate through those options using the cursor arrows, down or right take you down the list, and up or left take you back up the list. Tab to the OK button and you've applied the action to that account, i.e. you've followed them if that was the action you chose :)

Giles

-- 
Rich De Steno

I think the key combo you mean is control-windows-s.  I just tried that and it did open the User Actions menu.

On 5/20/2018 9:43 AM, Richard Bartholomew wrote:
It's Alt+Win+Shift+S and it's called 'Open the User Action Menu' - once that dialogue's open, you can tab around to find the options to follow, unfollow, block etc.

Rich De Steno

Cheers
Richard Bartholomew

Steno

--
Rich De Steno

--
Rich De Steno

Lino Morales

Hi. Just wanted to let you all know if you didn’t know already as of the middle of August we will no longer have access to the 3rd party apps that work with Twitter such as TW Blue etc. So if you are on WIN 10 use the newly improved Twitter UWP app which is accessible. They are changing their API for 3rd party access so if you want to complain to Twitter do so in the appropriate places.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2018 9:56 AM

I use Chicken Nugget on my Windows machine and it works great with NVDA. Usually the follow/unfollow commands are on the user details or profile screen, so find that screen in TW Blue and you should be able to find the buttons for following.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rich De Steno

What is the easiest way to "follow" and "unfollow" sources with NVDA. The official Twitter web site merely advises to "hover over the person with your mouse", offering no keyboard option.  I am using TW Blue and find no keyboard method of "following" or "unfollowing" a source.  Even the applications key fails to offer such an option.

--

Rich De Steno

David Mehler

Hello,

Does this effect android apps as well? So, August it sounds like your
saying it's the win10 app or nothing on that platform or the web site?

Thanks.
Dave.

On 5/20/18, Lino Morales <linomorales001@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi. Just wanted to let you all know if you didn’t know already as of the
middle of August we will no longer have access to the 3rd party apps that
work with Twitter such as TW Blue etc. So if you are on WIN 10 use the newly
improved Twitter UWP app which is accessible. They are changing their API
for 3rd party access so if you want to complain to Twitter do so in the
appropriate places.

I use Chicken Nugget on my Windows machine and it works great with NVDA.
Usually the follow/unfollow commands are on the user details or profile
screen, so find that screen in TW Blue and you should be able to find the
buttons for following.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rich De
Steno

What is the easiest way to "follow" and "unfollow" sources with NVDA. The
official Twitter web site merely advises to "hover over the person with your
mouse", offering no keyboard option. I am using TW Blue and find no
keyboard method of "following" or "unfollowing" a source. Even the
applications key fails to offer such an option.

--
Rich De Steno

Lino Morales

That is correct from what I understand it. You’ll still be able to use the native Twitter apps for IOS and android. But yeah the UWP app for WIN 10 or the website itself yes.

Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2018 12:10 PM

Hello,

Thanks.

Dave.

On 5/20/18, Lino Morales <linomorales001@...> wrote:

> Hi. Just wanted to let you all know if you didn’t know already as of the

> middle of August we will no longer have access to the 3rd party apps that

> work with Twitter such as TW Blue etc. So if you are on WIN 10 use the newly

> improved Twitter UWP app which is accessible. They are changing their API

> for 3rd party access so if you want to complain to Twitter do so in the

> appropriate places.

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> From: Marcia Yale

> Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2018 9:56 AM

> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

> Subject: Re: [nvda] Using NVDA with a Twitter Account

> I use Chicken Nugget on my Windows machine and it works great with NVDA.

> Usually the follow/unfollow commands are on the user details or profile

> screen, so find that screen in TW Blue and you should be able to find the

> buttons for following.

> -----Original Message-----

> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rich De

> Steno

> Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2018 7:51 AM

> To: nvda@groups.io

> Subject: [nvda] Using NVDA with a Twitter Account

> What is the easiest way to "follow" and "unfollow" sources with NVDA. The

> official Twitter web site merely advises to "hover over the person with your

> mouse", offering no keyboard option.  I am using TW Blue and find no

> keyboard method of "following" or "unfollowing" a source.  Even the

> applications key fails to offer such an option.

> --

> Rich De Steno

Richard Bartholomew

No, the key combination I listed was the one I meant but what I should also have said that this was with the default Windows 10 layout!

Sent: 20 May 2018 15:50

I think the key combo you mean is control-windows-s. I just tried that and it did open the User Actions menu.

On 5/20/2018 9:43 AM, Richard Bartholomew wrote:

Rich De Steno

Cheers
Richard Bartholomew

Steno

--
Rich De Steno

--
Rich De Steno

Annette Moore

Alt+shift+Windows+s will take you to the users dialogue, and you then choose what you want to do from there. It's a combo box. Once you choose what you wish to do, you tab to ok.

On 5/20/2018 7:26 AM, Rich De Steno wrote:

Rich De Steno

Cheers
Richard Bartholomew

What is the easiest way to "follow" and "unfollow" sources with NVDA. The official Twitter web site merely advises to "hover over the person with your mouse", offering no keyboard option. I am using TW Blue and find no keyboard method of "following" or "unfollowing" a source.  Even the applications key fails to offer such an option.

--
Rich De Steno

Andy

In TW Blue, simply hit CONTROL-WIN-S.

Andy

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2018 4:51 AM

--
Rich De Steno

Andy

In TW Blue, CONTROL-WIN-S opens the action center and you just tab over to the check box that says Follow-Unfollow. It's checked by default. Just uncheck it, and press space on the OK button.

Andy

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2018 5:26 AM

Rich De Steno

Cheers
Richard Bartholomew

--
Rich De Steno

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Whatever you do with third party twitter apps is going to change very soon as Twitter are removing access to the API and charging huge megabucks for the new one. Methinks they want to make sure all their adverts are seen. Cannot think why! grin.
I don't do it myself, but I know several people who think twitter will be useless in August.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2018 12:51 PM

--
Rich De Steno

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

It affects all third party apps wherever they run.
its the old API which is deprecated.
The new one to do the same sort of thing has to be paid for by the app makers and twitter have made the cost so high, I suspect only themselves will be able to use it and hence make sure you get the promoted adverts by default. its what I always said about the one game in town syndrome. You get your monopoly then you cut everyone else out and coin in the dosh.
Cynical? me?
:-)

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2018 5:10 PM

Hello,

Thanks.
Dave.

work with Twitter such as TW Blue etc. So if you are on WIN 10 use the newly
appropriate places.

buttons for following.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rich De
Steno

official Twitter web site merely advises to "hover over the person with your

--
Rich De Steno

Clare Page <clare.page@...>

Hi!
Judging from what I have heard recently, third party client developers having to pay exorbitant fees to use the new Twitter API is only part of the story.
I gather that third party Twitter clients should still work after 16 August, but, as the new Twitter API replaces the streaming API we've had for some years now, not having the new API in third party clients means that they will no longer be able to stream tweets: in npractice, this simply means that users will have to wait longer for tweets to come in, which was the case when I joined Twitter in 2009 anyway, so it's not a big deal-breaker for me.
As for Twitter with NVDA, to get back to the subject of this list, I do not know, as a Windows 7 user, whether the Windows 10 Twitter UWP app works well with NVDA, but NVDA users should still be able to use the currently accessible third party Twitter clients after 16 August, but without streaming of tweets, if I understand right. So there may not be a monopoly on Twitter after all.
I hope this reassures anyone on this list who uses third party accessible Twitter clients at least a bit!
Bye for now!
From Clare

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: lundi 21 mai 2018 10:34

It affects all third party apps wherever they run.
its the old API which is deprecated.
The new one to do the same sort of thing has to be paid for by the app
makers and twitter have made the cost so high, I suspect only themselves
will be able to use it and hence make sure you get the promoted adverts by
default. its what I always said about the one game in town syndrome. You get
your monopoly then you cut everyone else out and coin in the dosh.
Cynical? me?
:-)

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2018 5:10 PM

Hello,

Thanks.
Dave.

work with Twitter such as TW Blue etc. So if you are on WIN 10 use the
newly
appropriate places.

buttons for following.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rich
De
Steno

official Twitter web site merely advises to "hover over the person with
your

--
Rich De Steno

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Wrong.

twitter is not charging for api usage, as a whole, it's only charging for certain aspects of the api, which will (at most) limit functionality of third party twitter clients, not make them unusable.  According to the site I read, it's mostly related to realtime interactions, and refresh times of tweets, that's all. Your twitter clients aren't going to magically stop working, they just won't update instantly anymore.  Personally, I don't find this to be a problem in the least, but that's just me.

On 5/21/2018 4:29 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Whatever you do with third party twitter apps is going to change very soon as Twitter are removing access to the API and charging huge megabucks for the new one. Methinks they want to make sure all their adverts are seen. Cannot think why! grin.
I don't do it myself, but I know several people who think twitter will be useless in August.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich De Steno" <ironrock@verizon.net>
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2018 12:51 PM

--
Rich De Steno