What will be with Espeak NG?

Marco Oros

I have heard, that default synthesizer will be Windows Onecore and not Espeak NG. I have a question.
NVDA team will stop implement new versions of Espeak? Or, why this thing were happened?
Thank You.
Marco Oros

Quentin Christensen

Hi Marco,

Actually we don't develop eSpeak to begin with.  We use eSpeak NG which has a GitHub repository and is open source, just like NVDA: https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng

We are still including eSpeak NG with NVDA.  We are just changing the default synthesizer when you install it on Windows 10, to the Windows OneCore voices.  From talking with users, and importantly, with people who don't use NVDA (and why), we found that a lot of people "Like NVDA, but the voice is very robotic".  As much as we would encourage people to explore the settings and find a setup that works for them, the truth is, people, particularly when testing something new, will first try the default setup, and if something is too jarring (as eSpeak NG is for some users), they may stop using it and not come back, even though if they were using Windows 10, there are more human sounding voices available on their system.

So, for NVDA 2018.2, we are making Windows OneCore voice the default on Windows 10, but we will still bundle eSpeak with NVDA, and we know many advanced users will switch back to it, and that is fine.  Note if you already have NVDA installed and upgrade to NVDA 2018.2, it won't change what you have setup.

I hope that answers your question, but if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

If you, like myself use Windows 7, then espeak is still the default. I think its only a change of preferences at the start if windows 10 is in as the Microsoft voices are supposedly better. I have to say this is debatable depending on what you want to use them for.

I hope that Espeak NG will continue to be built in as for me at least quick and dirty digital voices are much better than nice sounding ones that do not work at speed very well for my ears at any rate.

I would also suggest if its English uk people want then get the add on speech player in Espeak and use it with the old variants as the dodgy for, newsletter and other words have not yet been sorted in the version of ng in nvda it seems. I guess you can download the sapi 5 version of Espeak but I do not like that system as it enables all that is bad about Microsoft's abbreviation expanding system, which to my mind is far too USA centred.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I have heard, that default synthesizer will be Windows Onecore and not Espeak NG. I have a question.
NVDA team will stop implement new versions of Espeak? Or, why this thing were happened?
Thank You.
Marco Oros

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes, I think that the problem many have with espeak is that for each language a different variant is needed to sound right. I made Quincy for Espeak some year back now and many like its deeper tone, particularly on a laptop, but of course the default sing song voice may be great if you are from a different country. I cannot tell.

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 5:57 PM, Marco Oros <marco.oros93@gmail.com> wrote:

I have heard, that default synthesizer will be Windows Onecore and not
Espeak NG. I have a question.
NVDA team will stop implement new versions of Espeak? Or, why this thing
were happened?
Thank You.
Marco Oros

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Ann Byrne

What is the default if using windows 7?

At 03:46 AM 5/23/2018, you wrote:
Hi Marco,

Actually we don't develop eSpeak to begin with. We use eSpeak NG which has a GitHub repository and is open source, just like NVDA: <https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng>https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 5:57 PM, Marco Oros <<mailto:marco.oros93@gmail.com>marco.oros93@gmail.com> wrote:
I have heard, that default synthesizer will be Windows Onecore and not Espeak NG. I have a question.
NVDA team will stop implement new versions of Espeak? Or, why this thing were happened?
Thank You.
Marco Oros

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: <http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/>http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

<http://www.nvaccess.org/>www.nvaccess.orgÂ
Facebook:Â <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>http://www.facebook.com/NVAccessÂ
Twitter: @NVAccessÂ

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Espeak, but really you do need to experiment with the varient voices. So many people say its awful then when they hear my machine do not believe its still espeak.
I just wonder if anyone actually tries playing with the options in software any more.
[...]

Ervin, Glenn

This is good, as whenever I install it for people who are new to a screenreader, I have to apologize for eSpeak, even though it is totally intelligible to me.

It is not my synth of choice, but it works and I am happy to have it as a free option.

Glenn

[...]

Angela Delicata

Actually, I do not use espeak and hate it... I hope in the future nvda devs will use another synth as nvda default and not Espeak which is really really bad.

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 5:57 PM, Marco Oros <marco.oros93@gmail.com<mailto:marco.oros93@gmail.com>> wrote:
I have heard, that default synthesizer will be Windows Onecore and not Espeak NG. I have a question.
NVDA team will stop implement new versions of Espeak? Or, why this thing were happened?
Thank You.
Marco Oros

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

www.nvaccess.org<http://www.nvaccess.org/>
Twitter: @NVAccess

Laz

Finally! this is great news! I had asked years ago when this list was
on a different forum to change the default variant and nothing was
done then. I was so tired of telling people about NVDA and having them
uninstall it from their computers because of the shock of their first
introduction to it by hearing that horrible default variant.

This is really great news!

Laz

On 5/23/18, Quentin Christensen <quentin@nvaccess.org> wrote:
[...]

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

even espeak has many terrible and aweful voices, but its advantage is
freedom of selecting variants with lots of choices.
i realy love iven3 and i believe that its the best voice in the world
which is free when using american accent!
brian,
which variant, do you use?
and how did you make it natural?
i believe that iven3 with the pitch 50 and inflection 75, is extremely
great and friendly and natural voice!

wrote:

I have heard, that default synthesizer will be Windows Onecore and not
Espeak NG. I have a question.
NVDA team will stop implement new versions of Espeak? Or, why this thing
were happened?
Thank You.
Marco Oros

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Rosemarie Chavarria

E-speak.

\

At 03:46 AM 5/23/2018, you wrote:
[...]

This is very great news!!!

Thank you so much for your priceless work.

Angela  from Italy

[...]

OK, but when will be new version of Espeak NG on NVDA?