Best Synthesizer

Dr. J. michael jones

Hello, what is the best sounding synthesizer that NVDA supports? I know it supports SAPI, but can it work with anything better?

Thanks for anything

There are synthesizers like Vocalizer and Acapella, but these are paid. In Windows 10 you can also use the Windows Onecore voices.
Sincerely,
Artin Dekker

Op 24-5-2018 om 10:24 schreef Dr. J. michael jones:

Hello, what is the best sounding synthesizer that NVDA supports? I know it supports SAPI, but can it work with anything better?

Thanks for anything

Chris

There is nothing better than sapi voices

Don’t waste your time or money on anything else. Have a nice day now 😃

Dr. J. michael jones

Thanks

On May 24, 2018, at 2:02 PM, Chris via Groups.Io <chrismedley@...> wrote:

There is nothing better than sapi voices

Don’t waste your time or money on anything else. Have a nice day now 😃

Gene

It should be pointed out that SAPI is a way that voices communicate with the computer.  it has nothing to do with the kind of voice in terms of its speech or general quality.  sometimes, a synthesizer may have a SAPI version and a version that isn't SAPI.  There is no reason to use or not to use a voice because it is SAPI.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2018 6:02 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Best Synthesizer

There is nothing better than sapi voices

Don’t waste your time or money on anything else. Have a nice day now 😃

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

Also, Sapi is a speech engine native to windows.  The beauty and flexibility of NVDA is that it allows for installation of Non-windows synthesizer voices.  Cheers!

Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2018 6:02 AM

There is nothing better than sapi voices

Don’t waste your time or money on anything else. Have a nice day now 😃

Antony Stone

SAPI is not a speech engine. It's a definition of a protocol enabling speech
applications (synthesis or recognition) to interface to other applications
(such as a browser).

Some synthesisers can only communicate with other applications via SAPI, some
can do SAPI plus other protocols, some don't do SAPI at all.

As Gene said, whether a synthesiser communicates using SAPI says nothing at
all about the quality of its voices.

Also, to add another answer to the original question "what is the best
sounding synthesizer that NVDA supports?", I would say it's the one you like
best and get on with best. That may not be the same as what someone else
likes. These things are a very personal choice.

Antony.

--
The first fifty percent of an engineering project takes ninety percent of the
time, and the remaining fifty percent takes another ninety percent of the time.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Dr. J. michael jones

Thanks I’m confused. My question was what is the best? And I believe there is always a better maybe someone else has an opinion

On 5/24/2018 7:26 PM, Gene wrote:
It should be pointed out that SAPI is a way that voices communicate
with the computer. it has nothing to do with the kind of voice in
terms of its speech or general quality. sometimes, a synthesizer may
have a SAPI version and a version that isn't SAPI. There is no reason
to use or not to use a voice because it is SAPI.
Gene

There is nothing better than sapi voices

Don’t waste your time or money on anything else. Have a nice day now 😃
--
The first fifty percent of an engineering project takes ninety percent of the
time, and the remaining fifty percent takes another ninety percent of the time.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Gene

There is wide disagreement of what the best is.  it's a matter of preference and taste.  it's like asking what is the best frozen pizza.  Do you like older synthesizers such as Eloquence or do you like newer ones, with more human sounding voices but slower responsiveness and, in my opinion, significantly degraded speech accuracy in most of them?  I don't recall the names of any of the newer ones because I dislike most of them and don't use them.  There are a lot of synthesizers you can try or get information about on the NVDA page devoted to this topic:
Also, on this page, the Eloquence add on that offers other voices as well is discussed.  There is a SAPI five Eloquence available for sale which is far superior, if you are interested in Eloquence.  Others can tell you more about it if you are interested.  And a lot of voices available for purchase have demos.

I'll add that some people use a responsive voice for work, such as word processing and other tasks, but use one of the newer more natural voices for listening, such as when reading a book.

Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2018 6:59 AM

Thanks I’m confused.   My question was what is the best? And I believe there is always a better maybe someone else has an opinion
> On May 24, 2018, at 2:54 PM, Antony Stone <antony.stone@...> wrote:
>
> SAPI is not a speech engine.  It's a definition of a protocol enabling speech
> applications (synthesis or recognition) to interface to other applications
> (such as a browser).
>
> Some synthesisers can only communicate with other applications via SAPI, some
> can do SAPI plus other protocols, some don't do SAPI at all.
>
> As Gene said, whether a synthesiser communicates using SAPI says nothing at
> all about the quality of its voices.
>
> Also, to add another answer to the original question "what is the best
> sounding synthesizer that NVDA supports?", I would say it's the one you like
> best and get on with best.  That may not be the same as what someone else
> likes.  These things are a very personal choice.
>

> Antony.
>
>> On Thursday 24 May 2018 at 13:47:29, Jaffar Sidek wrote:
>>
>> Also, Sapi is a speech engine native to windows.  The beauty and
>> flexibility of NVDA is that it allows for installation of Non-windows
>> synthesizer voices.  Cheers!
>>
>>> On 5/24/2018 7:26 PM, Gene wrote:
>>> It should be pointed out that SAPI is a way that voices communicate
>>> with the computer.  it has nothing to do with the kind of voice in
>>> terms of its speech or general quality.  sometimes, a synthesizer may
>>> have a SAPI version and a version that isn't SAPI.  There is no reason
>>> to use or not to use a voice because it is SAPI.
>>> Gene

Dr. J. michael jones

Thank you very much of course are use eloquence with jaws but I’m trying to put together an affordable machine for people in Africa NVDA the only way to go and I’m just trying to create a better speech output then what comes with a regular Windows platform.  I observe what you were saying about sluggishness also speed pitch and tone are affected as well again thanks

Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2018 6:59 AM

Thanks I’m confused.   My question was what is the best? And I believe there is always a better maybe someone else has an opinion
> On May 24, 2018, at 2:54 PM, Antony Stone <antony.stone@...> wrote:
>
> SAPI is not a speech engine.  It's a definition of a protocol enabling speech
> applications (synthesis or recognition) to interface to other applications
> (such as a browser).
>
> Some synthesisers can only communicate with other applications via SAPI, some
> can do SAPI plus other protocols, some don't do SAPI at all.
>
> As Gene said, whether a synthesiser communicates using SAPI says nothing at
> all about the quality of its voices.
>
> Also, to add another answer to the original question "what is the best
> sounding synthesizer that NVDA supports?", I would say it's the one you like
> best and get on with best.  That may not be the same as what someone else
> likes.  These things are a very personal choice.
>

> Antony.
>
>> On Thursday 24 May 2018 at 13:47:29, Jaffar Sidek wrote:
>>
>> Also, Sapi is a speech engine native to windows.  The beauty and
>> flexibility of NVDA is that it allows for installation of Non-windows
>> synthesizer voices.  Cheers!
>>
>>> On 5/24/2018 7:26 PM, Gene wrote:
>>> It should be pointed out that SAPI is a way that voices communicate
>>> with the computer.  it has nothing to do with the kind of voice in
>>> terms of its speech or general quality.  sometimes, a synthesizer may
>>> have a SAPI version and a version that isn't SAPI.  There is no reason
>>> to use or not to use a voice because it is SAPI.
>>> Gene

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Synthesizers are all very preferencial.  I really like the espeak american varients though that makes me a bit of an oddball.  If you only want english language support the dektalk access add-on is outrageously good.  Much better than the phonix distrobution and in my experience, it's extremely fast and stable.  Pronounciation is good.  Inflection is fine especially if you used dektalk a lot and liked it.  If not, inflection does some funny things that may take getting used to.

Anyhow, google it up and see if you like it.  I think it's on a third party add-on site.

Best,

Erik

Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2018 6:59 AM

Thanks I’m confused.   My question was what is the best? And I believe there is always a better maybe someone else has an opinion
> On May 24, 2018, at 2:54 PM, Antony Stone <antony.stone@...> wrote:
>
> SAPI is not a speech engine.  It's a definition of a protocol enabling speech
> applications (synthesis or recognition) to interface to other applications
> (such as a browser).
>
> Some synthesisers can only communicate with other applications via SAPI, some
> can do SAPI plus other protocols, some don't do SAPI at all.
>
> As Gene said, whether a synthesiser communicates using SAPI says nothing at
> all about the quality of its voices.
>
> Also, to add another answer to the original question "what is the best
> sounding synthesizer that NVDA supports?", I would say it's the one you like
> best and get on with best.  That may not be the same as what someone else
> likes.  These things are a very personal choice.
>

> Antony.
>
>> On Thursday 24 May 2018 at 13:47:29, Jaffar Sidek wrote:
>>
>> Also, Sapi is a speech engine native to windows.  The beauty and
>> flexibility of NVDA is that it allows for installation of Non-windows
>> synthesizer voices.  Cheers!
>>
>>> On 5/24/2018 7:26 PM, Gene wrote:
>>> It should be pointed out that SAPI is a way that voices communicate
>>> with the computer.  it has nothing to do with the kind of voice in
>>> terms of its speech or general quality.  sometimes, a synthesizer may
>>> have a SAPI version and a version that isn't SAPI.  There is no reason
>>> to use or not to use a voice because it is SAPI.
>>> Gene

Gene

The Dectalk add on is illegal and discussion is not allowed on list.

Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2018 6:59 AM

Thanks I’m confused.   My question was what is the best? And I believe there is always a better maybe someone else has an opinion
> On May 24, 2018, at 2:54 PM, Antony Stone <antony.stone@...> wrote:
>
> SAPI is not a speech engine.  It's a definition of a protocol enabling speech
> applications (synthesis or recognition) to interface to other applications
> (such as a browser).
>
> Some synthesisers can only communicate with other applications via SAPI, some
> can do SAPI plus other protocols, some don't do SAPI at all.
>
> As Gene said, whether a synthesiser communicates using SAPI says nothing at
> all about the quality of its voices.
>
> Also, to add another answer to the original question "what is the best
> sounding synthesizer that NVDA supports?", I would say it's the one you like
> best and get on with best.  That may not be the same as what someone else
> likes.  These things are a very personal choice.
>

> Antony.
>
>> On Thursday 24 May 2018 at 13:47:29, Jaffar Sidek wrote:
>>
>> Also, Sapi is a speech engine native to windows.  The beauty and
>> flexibility of NVDA is that it allows for installation of Non-windows
>> synthesizer voices.  Cheers!
>>
>>> On 5/24/2018 7:26 PM, Gene wrote:
>>> It should be pointed out that SAPI is a way that voices communicate
>>> with the computer.  it has nothing to do with the kind of voice in
>>> terms of its speech or general quality.  sometimes, a synthesizer may
>>> have a SAPI version and a version that isn't SAPI.  There is no reason
>>> to use or not to use a voice because it is SAPI.
>>> Gene

Don H

Please don't get upset when I ask what makes the Dectalk add on illegal?

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/ExtraVoices
[...]

I don't know if the owners of Dectalk license it to anyone these days, but the add on isn't a legally licensed product.  it is pirate software.

I'm not making any judgments about whether any one uses it, but the list doesn't allow discussion of any illegal software, as is common among lists.  Doing so, potentially opens the list to legal action or being closed by Groups.io or whatever list serve it may be on.

Gene

On 5/24/2018 8:23 AM, Gene wrote:
> The Dectalk add on is illegal and discussion is not allowed on list.
> Gene

Angela Delicata

Vocalizer is really good with nvda....

Il 24/05/2018 12:39, Artin Dekker ha scritto:
There are synthesizers like Vocalizer and Acapella, but these are paid. In Windows 10 you can also use the Windows Onecore voices.
Sincerely,
Artin Dekker

Op 24-5-2018 om 10:24 schreef Dr. J. michael jones:

Hello, what is the best sounding synthesizer that NVDA supports? I know it supports SAPI, but can it work with anything better?

Thanks for anything

Angela Delicata

Dear friend,

A synth depends on the person who uses it: I may like Vocalizer, but you may not... It is a matter of tastes.

All synth work well: Vocalizer, Eloquence, Espeak, Acapela... Certain are paid others are free.

On 5/24/2018 7:26 PM, Gene wrote:
It should be pointed out that SAPI is a way that voices communicate
with the computer. it has nothing to do with the kind of voice in
terms of its speech or general quality. sometimes, a synthesizer may
have a SAPI version and a version that isn't SAPI. There is no reason
to use or not to use a voice because it is SAPI.
Gene

There is nothing better than sapi voices

Don’t waste your time or money on anything else. Have a nice day now 😃
--
The first fifty percent of an engineering project takes ninety percent of the
time, and the remaining fifty percent takes another ninety percent of the time.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Dr. J. michael jones

Your people are awesome I can’t read and reply right now but I will later thank you for all the feedback

On 5/24/2018 7:26 PM, Gene wrote:
It should be pointed out that SAPI is a way that voices communicate
with the computer. it has nothing to do with the kind of voice in
terms of its speech or general quality. sometimes, a synthesizer may
have a SAPI version and a version that isn't SAPI. There is no reason
to use or not to use a voice because it is SAPI.
Gene

There is nothing better than sapi voices

Don’t waste your time or money on anything else. Have a nice day now 😃
--
The first fifty percent of an engineering project takes ninety percent of the
time, and the remaining fifty percent takes another ninety percent of the time.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Don H

Thanks, I now understand. Early on when I started using NVDA after being a long term Window Eyes user someone on this list suggested I use it.

On 5/24/2018 8:23 AM, Gene wrote:
> The Dectalk add on is illegal and discussion is not allowed on list.
> Gene

Rui Fontes

The better syntheziser is one thing does not exist...

eSpeake is better due to be the snapiest synth available...
Eloquence is better due to its very good reliability in pronouncing the vast majority of words...
Acapela is better because it have more natural voices...
Vocalizer is better due to have more natural voices and have more languages and voices...

and so on and so on...

If possible, try several synths and decide wich is better for you...

Best regards,

Rui Fontes

On 5/24/2018 7:26 PM, Gene wrote:
It should be pointed out that SAPI is a way that voices communicate
with the computer. it has nothing to do with the kind of voice in
terms of its speech or general quality. sometimes, a synthesizer may
have a SAPI version and a version that isn't SAPI. There is no reason
to use or not to use a voice because it is SAPI.
Gene

There is nothing better than sapi voices

Don’t waste your time or money on anything else. Have a nice day now 😃
--
The first fifty percent of an engineering project takes ninety percent of the
time, and the remaining fifty percent takes another ninety percent of the time.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Unfortunately this is an unanswerable question and I hope this does not degenerate into the usual my synth sounds better then the one you use threads again. Really its up to you which sounds best to you and in what context. There is no one answer. I like some voices for reading books but like Espeak for fast access to controls and the like. Natural sounding synths are mostly hard to understand speeded up in my experience but that is just me, and I suspect you will get as many replies to this question as there are people. if I had to use Eloquence only, I'd be a gibbering wreck by now, but everyone does not think it lisps and sounds awful.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-