HELLO THERE

Darren Harris

Hi there,

I’m a new nvda user. I’m liking it so far I’m really impressed with it.

I’m just wondering about any good addons that might be useful. What do people favour using? I use programmes like iTunes and winamp and skype. I haven’t yet downloaded skype onto my new machine as I’m told it’s not that accessible. Would like more information on this.

Chris

If you are running windows 10, then the first add-on you should have, is the win10 app essentials add-on

That will make windows 10 just that little bit more accessible

Oh, and welcome 😃

Quentin Christensen

Hi Darren,

As Chris said, welcome!

Re add-ons, you can find them either from the NVDA addon's screen in the tools menu (from the "Get addons" link) or from the same page which is http://addons.nvda-project.org/

I'll leave others to suggest their favourites, but I'll offer that if you are interested in learning more of the ins and outs of the program and what it can do, I'd recommend the official Basic Training for NVDA (caveat, yes, I wrote it) module, which is available in electronic text, audio or hardcopy Braille from: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Welcome again, and do feel free to ask any other questions you come up with!

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

You can see all officially approved NVDA add ons on this page:

You may find and use unapproved add ons but they may not work properly or they may be malicious.  Those that are officially approved are reviewed by members of the NVDA community and are known to be safe and are expected to work properly.
The page I sent a link for has a search field and, below the introductory text, are links to all officially approved add ons.  If you follow a link, you will get more information about the add on and a download link.
there is a Winamp add on, but you may or not care about the extra functionality it provides.  I mentioned that one because you mentioned Winamp.  You may find add ons for other programs you mentioned, I never checked.

Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2018 3:54 AM
Subject: [nvda] HELLO THERE

Hi there,

I’m a new nvda user. I’m liking it so far I’m really impressed with it.

I’m just wondering about any good addons that might be useful. What do people favour using? I use programmes like iTunes and winamp and skype. I haven’t yet downloaded skype onto my new machine as I’m told it’s not that accessible. Would like more information on this.

Darren Harris

Thank you. I did get the win10 app essentials addon. I believe the latest version of skype isn’t that accessible so is there an earlier version I can get? Windows 10 doesn’t come with skype preinstalled does it? I have business skype as I have my office 365 subscription but I’m not sure if I can use that for a normal skype account?

Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2018 3:54 AM

Hi there,

I’m a new nvda user. I’m liking it so far I’m really impressed with it.

I’m just wondering about any good addons that might be useful. What do people favour using? I use programmes like iTunes and winamp and skype. I haven’t yet downloaded skype onto my new machine as I’m told it’s not that accessible. Would like more information on this.

Hi,

Which version of Skype are you referring to – the one that comes with Windows 10 or the new desktop version (8.x)?

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2018 3:54 AM

Hi there,

I’m a new nvda user. I’m liking it so far I’m really impressed with it.

I’m just wondering about any good addons that might be useful. What do people favour using? I use programmes like iTunes and winamp and skype. I haven’t yet downloaded skype onto my new machine as I’m told it’s not that accessible. Would like more information on this.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

If you are not sure where to get the official add ons from when nvda is running press the nvda key + letter N a menu will pop up then arrow down to tools then a sub menu will appear then arrow down to manage add ons then press the enter key. A new screen will appear where there are buttons tab to the get add ons button then press the enter key and your browser will open.

There will be a list of add ons you can use.

Do you know how to install them? if you are interested i have put together a web site that may help you it all so includes installing add ons and alot more in written and audio. it is only for the desk top version of nvda.

it also has a tutorial for winamp and skype etc. it can be found at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net
There are links on the main page  that are blindness related as well as nvda related. You will find also if you go into one of the nvda pages it is a website inside of a website  so you can bookmark one of the nvda pages and it will have links to all nvda pages you will see what i mean.

hope it helps.

Gene nz

On 5/24/2018 8:54 PM, Darren Harris via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi there,

I’m a new nvda user. I’m liking it so far I’m really impressed with it.

I’m just wondering about any good addons that might be useful. What do people favour using? I use programmes like iTunes and winamp and skype. I haven’t yet downloaded skype onto my new machine as I’m told it’s not that accessible. Would like more information on this.

Darren Harris

Thanks very much for this info. It’s appreciated.

With regards to skype do I just download the latest version then?

I installed windows 10 app essentials. I just hit enter on it and it seems to have done it itself.

[...]

Which skype version the one for windows 10 as a app? or the desk top version of which i have a copy i can drop box version 7.4 or some thing like that.

There is also a web version of skype which can be done through the browser which i have written but not posted still in a draft I think there is a audio file for it 2.

the desk top version is easier to use so is the app version etc

Gene nz

On 5/25/2018 8:55 PM, Darren Harris via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

hi and welcome to the list.
i dont use any addons, except remote support.
because i love getting remote support from trustworthy people! or test
new softwares and operating systems remotely!

On 5/27/18, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz> wrote:
[...]

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain