Topics

File explorer (maybe)

slery <slerythema@...>

Okay, I am trying to use task scheduler but I need to find the file path to start the program. I did a search for grover.exe (assuming this is what I need for a windows app) but it only came up with a file called grover.exe.temp.DMP.

Can someone help me? Do the new window apps (an app downloaded from the windows store) follow a typical structure such as using a *.exe file or should I be looking for something else?

Cindy

Quentin Christensen

If you press the windows key and then start typing "Task scheduler" it should come up.  If you want to find out where it is, you can always press the applications / context menu key on the item instead of enter, and choose "Open file location" which will open it in File Explorer and you can check the address bar to see where it is.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

slery <slerythema@...>

When I am in the windows menu and use the applications key that is not one of the options that comes up I only get pin to task bar and a couple of other Advanced options that is what I tried first and there was no way to get a file location I am running the latest Windows 10 with the April 2018 update. Cindy

Get Outlook for Android

[...]

I am trying to get clear about what's being asked here.

If it's how to get the path to a file you can do a Cortana/Windows search for the file, then when it shows up in the results and you have focus on it hit the menu/applications key or SHIFT+F10 and select "Open File location" from the pop up menu.  You'll open file explorer for the folder in which that file is located, with focus on that file, and can get the full path, including the file name, using the Copy Path button in the Home tab [or just hit ALT+H,CP].  You can then paste this where you need it.  One word of warning, though, it encloses the entire path in quotation marks, an example of which is:

"C:\Users\Public\Documents\BriTechGuy\Toolbox\Carry_With_Programs\Search_Everything\Everything-1.4.1.877.x64-Setup.exe"

You may need to remove those.

If you're trying to find task scheduler using Quentin's windows search method is the fastest way directly to it.

     After all, a democracy based solely on the values of the majority, with no overriding ethical principles and processes, is nothing more than clubhouse democracy, great for those on the inside and a tyranny for those who fail to see eye to eye with the majority.

         ~ Paul Noeldner, May 16, 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 10:20 am, slery wrote:
When I am in the windows menu and use the applications key that is not one of the options that comes up
That's not what he said to do.   You simply hit the Windows Key and immediately type in the two word phrase, "task scheduler."  The search results will have Task Scheduler, Desktop App as the first item unless you have done something very weird on your system and have something else named "task scheduler."  All you have to do after entering the search phrase is wait about half a second for the search to complete and hit Enter.  Task Manager then opens.

         ~ Paul Noeldner, May 16, 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 10:20 am, slery wrote:
When I am in the windows menu and use the applications key that is not one of the options that comes up
My apologies, I misread in that it's the file location you're trying to find.

Are you using a standard account or an account with admin privileges?   I always use my account which has admin privileges, and if I'm on an item in a list of search results that is a file, and hit the menu/applications key or SHIFT+F10, the "Open file location" option is always there.  I'm speculating it might not be for a standard user.

         ~ Paul Noeldner, May 16, 2007

Ervin, Glenn

Another way to do that is to browse to a file, and press shift + applications, and then the letter A and the path will be in the clipboard.

Glenn

         ~ Paul Noeldner, May 16, 2007

Chris Mullins

Task Manager and Task Scheduler are two different things, not to be confused.

Cheers

Chris

         ~ Paul Noeldner, May 16, 2007

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 03:32 am, Chris Mullins wrote:
Task Manager and Task Scheduler are two different things, not to be confused.
Indeed they are, but the original question made direct reference to Task Scheduler and, based on context, that did not seem to be a write-o.  The original question was related to getting a full file path to an exe file so that it could be used to create a task in Task Scheduler.

I'll admit that I had a write-o in the last sentence of a prior response where, after having made multiple references to task scheduler, I accidentally wrote "task manager."  I presume most readers can recognize that sort of error for what it is, and corrections are generally frowned upon here because it generates another e-mail message.

         ~ Paul Noeldner, May 16, 2007

slery <slerythema@...>

Nope, still no joy.

The context menu I get when typing in cortana/search and then focusing on the windows app that I want, the context menu brings up: pin to start, pin to taskbar, app settings, rate and review, share, and uninstall.

If I do a search for NVDA and follow those same instructions I do in fact get the option to open the folder. Therefore, I am going to assume it is something specific to windows app that come from the windows store.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Cindy

  ~ Paul Noeldner, May 16, 2007

Cindy,

            I have assiduously avoided installing a single app from the Microsoft Store, but am willing to make an exception to experiment directly with one that you are trying to set up in Task Scheduler.   Can you give me the name of one of the apps you've installed from the Store for which you're trying to do this?

         ~ Paul Noeldner, May 16, 2007