Topics

sounds ?

Danni

I had to reboot several times yesterday because NVDA was not reading documents and realized this morning that I lost my sounds where do I find them to turn them back  on?

What generation of Windows are you using.  It may be slightly different on Windows 7 than Windows 10, for instance.

Also, what is the make/model of your computer and did it come with function keys that were mapped to doing things like muting, increasing/decreasing volume, increasing/decreasing screen brightness, etc.  You may be able to exploit those, but you'd have to know which are which for your specific make/model.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

After all, a democracy based solely on the values of the majority, with no overriding ethical principles and processes, is nothing more than clubhouse democracy, great for those on the inside and a tyranny for those who fail to see eye to eye with the majority.

~ Paul Noeldner, May 16, 2007 

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Is there any sounds at all on the computer? or are you getting Window sounds but not having nvda speaking?

Gene nz

On 5/26/2018 6:00 AM, Danni wrote:

I had to reboot several times yesterday because NVDA was not reading documents and realized this morning that I lost my sounds where do I find them to turn them back  on?

Danni

The only question I can answer is windows 7! am guessing with those questions it's not nvda that had the sounds but my computer? if that's the case I'll ask my computer guy about it!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 12:17 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] sounds ?

What generation of Windows are you using.  It may be slightly different on Windows 7 than Windows 10, for instance.

Also, what is the make/model of your computer and did it come with function keys that were mapped to doing things like muting, increasing/decreasing volume, increasing/decreasing screen brightness, etc.  You may be able to exploit those, but you'd have to know which are which for your specific make/model.

--

After all, a democracy based solely on the values of the majority, with no overriding ethical principles and processes, is nothing more than clubhouse democracy, great for those on the inside and a tyranny for those who fail to see eye to eye with the majority.

Danni

NVDA is speaking fine now yesterday it kept double talking so shut it down for a couple hours since a reboot did no good but sounds lost are the ping it makes when am at the top or bottom of a document as well as the sound it makes if  try to do something it doesn't want me to do!

Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 12:23 PM

Hi

Is there any sounds at all on the computer? or are you getting Window sounds but not having nvda speaking?

Gene nz

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 12:30 pm, Danni wrote:
am guessing with those questions it's not nvda that had the sounds but my computer?
That's the presumption I'm operating on, too.   I have a friend who's an avid NVDA user and who's accidentally muted her Windows sound output in the past.  Luckily the keyboard she has actually has a dedicated button for mute/unmute that toggles the sound on if its off and off if its on.

Many computers can do this via hitting the Fn key along with the correct F key across the top.

--

Danni

I've not had this happen before so I have no clue if I have that specific key or not so I'll ask my computer guy about it or check my settings on the computer!

Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 12:33 PM

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 12:30 pm, Danni wrote:
am guessing with those questions it's not nvda that had the sounds but my computer?
That's the presumption I'm operating on, too.   I have a friend who's an avid NVDA user and who's accidentally muted her Windows sound output in the past.  Luckily the keyboard she has actually has a dedicated button for mute/unmute that toggles the sound on if its off and off if its on.

Many computers can do this via hitting the Fn key along with the correct F key across the top.

--

Danni,

If it turns out that your Windows sound output has been muted, be certain to ask your computer guy if there is a key or key sequence on your keyboard you can hit to unmute it (or to try to unmute it).

On my HP laptop, where I've turned off the "Quick Function Keys" feature so that I have access to the F keys "as God intended," the F6 key is the mute/unmute toggle.  F7 is decrease volume and F8 is increase volume.  All of these only serve those functions if I'm holding down the Fn key plus the previously noted key together.  What's nice is even if the sound is muted, if you attempt to either increase or decrease volume it will unmute the sound as part of that.

--

Danni

Thanks Brian I will definitely do that!

Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 12:40 PM

Danni,

If it turns out that your Windows sound output has been muted, be certain to ask your computer guy if there is a key or key sequence on your keyboard you can hit to unmute it (or to try to unmute it).

On my HP laptop, where I've turned off the "Quick Function Keys" feature so that I have access to the F keys "as God intended," the F6 key is the mute/unmute toggle.  F7 is decrease volume and F8 is increase volume.  All of these only serve those functions if I'm holding down the Fn key plus the previously noted key together.  What's nice is even if the sound is muted, if you attempt to either increase or decrease volume it will unmute the sound as part of that.

--

Gene

You said you had to reboot a number of times yesterday.  Why?  Did you have freezes?  If you suddenly lose Windows sounds, and everything else works properly, you can look in the volume control settings to see what the volume level is for those sounds and, if there is a mute check box, that it is unchecked.  But this may be a problem, if you had an improper shutdown, caused by something else like a registry proboem.  You may want to check the volume control settings first.  If they are correct, if you have a system restore point or a you run a registry backup program, running a backup or a system restore point from before the problem may well be the easiest solution.  if you don't have something like this available, you should.  It's very important.  You never know when it may save you a lot of work and annoyance.

Regarding volume control settings, the easiest thing to do is probably to hold the Windows key, type r then release both keys.  Type sndvol in the run dialog, and press enter.  When the volume control opens, tab around and see what you see for Windows sounds.

Gene

Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 2:24 PM

The only question I can answer is windows 7! am guessing with those questions it's not nvda that had the sounds but my computer? if that's the case I'll ask my computer guy about it!

Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 12:17 PM

--

Gene

Do other sounds work?  I think the sound you are describing is one Windows sound, which isn't working.  This sounds to me like the kind of problem that should be solved by running a restore point.  If you don't have one, I'm not sure how you might solve the problem.  In future, please describe the problem in detail as you did in this message.  Based on your current description, most of my previous message appears not to apply.  This isn't that Windows sounds aren't working in general.  One Windows sound may not be and I addressed that in this message.

Gene

Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 2:25 PM

NVDA is speaking fine now yesterday it kept double talking so shut it down for a couple hours since a reboot did no good but sounds lost are the ping it makes when am at the top or bottom of a document as well as the sound it makes if  try to do something it doesn't want me to do!

Hi

Gene nz

Danni

Thanks Brian I will definitely do that!

Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 12:40 PM

Danni,

--

Danni

I don't remember why I shut it down the first time but rebooted twice because NVDA was not reading my documents properly, I don't know how to explain other than to say it would read a line and then nothing even though I knew there was something there and I tried maximizing the document but it didn't fix the issue and I also noticed that it kept reading things in double and when I rebooted heard the sound it made when shutting down twice!

I'll check volume settings since I tried checking sounds in control panel and found nothing to fix!

Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 1:01 PM

Do other sounds work?  I think the sound you are describing is one Windows sound, which isn't working.  This sounds to me like the kind of problem that should be solved by running a restore point.  If you don't have one, I'm not sure how you might solve the problem.  In future, please describe the problem in detail as you did in this message.  Based on your current description, most of my previous message appears not to apply.  This isn't that Windows sounds aren't working in general.  One Windows sound may not be and I addressed that in this message.

Gene

Hi

Gene nz

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

How this works depends on the hardware and the drivers I seem to remember. Dell machines use several different ways in different models, unfortunately. The most annoying one for me is when sightees use the machines and use all manner of ways to turn off the sound, including the screenreader which means first going through all the ways they may have used from simply turning off the speakers and pulling out the jack to tray icons turning the volume right down or worse messing with lots of settings till nothing works correctly!
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 8:40 PM

Danni,

On my HP laptop, where I've turned off the "Quick Function Keys" feature so that I have access to the F keys "as God intended," the F6 key is the mute/unmute toggle. F7 is decrease volume and F8 is increase volume. All of these only serve those functions if I'm holding down the Fn key plus the previously noted key together. What's nice is even if the sound is muted, if you attempt to either increase or decrease volume it will unmute the sound as part of that.

--

*Brian* *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

Have you had any usb headphones plugged in lately?
I notice on some 7 machines the poor thing can get really confused sometimes, depending on the hardware its using.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 8:25 PM

NVDA is speaking fine now yesterday it kept double talking so shut it down for a couple hours since a reboot did no good but sounds lost are the ping it makes when am at the top or bottom of a document as well as the sound it makes if try to do something it doesn't want me to do!

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi

Gene nz

I had to reboot several times yesterday because NVDA was not reading documents and realized this morning that I lost my sounds where do I find them to turn them back on?

Yeah agree with you used to get rather angry at sightlings using the system and not setting things.

Or having a broken wire and not telling me.

At best it was 10 minutes of time fixing things to make them work, which meant me being late for a task which would have taken 10 minutes to do but I had issues.

I have had to take their devices, put them on, and change them back to speakers at times.

At worse case, get them to help me turn on the sound, or, turn on and off speakers, load drivers, doodle with things, then follow this through with a reformat  to fix everything, only to find a wire or speaker is broken.

Then either buy or reorder a new wire, then the day is wasted.

On 5/26/2018 9:10 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
How this works depends on the hardware and the drivers I seem to remember. Dell machines use several different ways in different models, unfortunately. The most annoying one for me is when sightees use the machines and use all manner of ways to turn off the sound, including the screenreader which means first going through all the ways they may have used from simply turning off the speakers and pulling out the  jack to tray icons turning the volume right down or worse messing with lots of settings till nothing works correctly!
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Vogel" <@britechguy>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 8:40 PM

Danni,

On my HP laptop, where I've turned off the "Quick Function Keys" feature so that I have access to the F keys "as God intended," the F6 key is the mute/unmute toggle. F7 is decrease volume and F8 is increase volume. All of these only serve those functions if I'm holding down the Fn key plus the previously noted key together. What's nice is even if the sound is muted, if you attempt to either increase or decrease volume it will unmute the sound as part of that.

--

*Brian* *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

Yeah,  you need to plug in the exact pair of usb headphones in, then you need to set your speakers as default in sound settings then it works.

On 5/26/2018 9:12 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Have you had any usb headphones plugged in lately?
I notice on some 7 machines the poor thing can get really confused sometimes, depending on the hardware its using.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Danni" <luv2ride67@...>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 8:25 PM

----- Original Message -----  From: Gene New Zealand

Hi

Gene nz

I had to reboot several times yesterday because NVDA was not reading documents and realized this morning that I lost my sounds where do I find them to turn them back  on?

What version of nvda is it. I do notice that the version just prior to xp support being dropped regularly gave the shut down nvda sound twice as it exited, and apart from that nothing seems to have been wrong unless you actually somehow I did have two copies running together which can occur but nowadays does not, as far as I know.
I concur, go back to a restore point Most of my operating days have a restore point when the anti virus update happens, but system restore needs to be on for this to occur.
Also, there is a piece of software called erunt that saves the registry daily into folders in windows, and can be restored by simply running the executable for the date needed.
If its a registry issue this is all you need, but a file issue is better solved by a restore point.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 11:09 PM

I don't remember why I shut it down the first time but rebooted twice because NVDA was not reading my documents properly, I don't know how to explain other than to say it would read a line and then nothing even though I knew there was something there and I tried maximizing the document but it didn't fix the issue and I also noticed that it kept reading things in double and when I rebooted heard the sound it made when shutting down twice!

I'll check volume settings since I tried checking sounds in control panel and found nothing to fix!

Do other sounds work? I think the sound you are describing is one Windows sound, which isn't working. This sounds to me like the kind of problem that should be solved by running a restore point. If you don't have one, I'm not sure how you might solve the problem. In future, please describe the problem in detail as you did in this message. Based on your current description, most of my previous message appears not to apply. This isn't that Windows sounds aren't working in general. One Windows sound may not be and I addressed that in this message.

Gene

NVDA is speaking fine now yesterday it kept double talking so shut it down for a couple hours since a reboot did no good but sounds lost are the ping it makes when am at the top or bottom of a document as well as the sound it makes if try to do something it doesn't want me to do!

Hi

Gene nz

I had to reboot several times yesterday because NVDA was not reading documents and realized this morning that I lost my sounds where do I find them to turn them back on?

Chris Mullins

Hi
I don't know what version of Windows you are using, I'm using W10 and there
is an app called Volume Mixer where you can set volume/balance/mute values
for in my case Speakers, NVDA and System sounds but I suspect there will be
entries for other sound generating apps you may have installed. I don't get
a ping when I rech the top/bottom of a document using NVDA. I seem to
recall Jaws had a feature that did this. On checking through the Windows
sound event list I can't see anything for top/bottom of document but these
events are listed for Kurzweil 1000 which I no longer have installed.

HTH
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's
Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: 26 May 2018 10:19

What version of nvda is it. I do notice that the version just prior to xp
support being dropped regularly gave the shut down nvda sound twice as it
exited, and apart from that nothing seems to have been wrong unless you
actually somehow I did have two copies running together which can occur but
nowadays does not, as far as I know.
I concur, go back to a restore point Most of my operating days have a
restore point when the anti virus update happens, but system restore needs
to be on for this to occur.
Also, there is a piece of software called erunt that saves the registry
daily into folders in windows, and can be restored by simply running the
executable for the date needed.
If its a registry issue this is all you need, but a file issue is better
solved by a restore point.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

I don't remember why I shut it down the first time but rebooted twice
because NVDA was not reading my documents properly, I don't know how to
explain other than to say it would read a line and then nothing even though
I knew there was something there and I tried maximizing the document but it
didn't fix the issue and I also noticed that it kept reading things in
double and when I rebooted heard the sound it made when shutting down twice!

I'll check volume settings since I tried checking sounds in control panel
and found nothing to fix!

Do other sounds work? I think the sound you are describing is one Windows

sound, which isn't working. This sounds to me like the kind of problem that

should be solved by running a restore point. If you don't have one, I'm not

sure how you might solve the problem. In future, please describe the
problem in detail as you did in this message. Based on your current
description, most of my previous message appears not to apply. This isn't
that Windows sounds aren't working in general. One Windows sound may not be

and I addressed that in this message.

Gene

NVDA is speaking fine now yesterday it kept double talking so shut it down

for a couple hours since a reboot did no good but sounds lost are the ping
it makes when am at the top or bottom of a document as well as the sound it
makes if try to do something it doesn't want me to do!

Hi

Is there any sounds at all on the computer? or are you getting Window
sounds but not having nvda speaking?

Gene nz

I had to reboot several times yesterday because NVDA was not reading
documents and realized this morning that I lost my sounds where do I find
them to turn them back on?

Gene

I also don't get such sounds when using NVDA.  Is that the only sound that is missing? 

Gene

Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2018 6:12 AM

Hi
I don't know what version of Windows you are using, I'm using W10 and there
is an app called Volume Mixer where you can set volume/balance/mute values
for in my case Speakers, NVDA and System sounds but I suspect there will be
entries for other sound generating apps you may have installed.  I don't get
a ping when I rech the top/bottom of a document using NVDA.  I seem to
recall Jaws had a feature that did this.  On checking through the Windows
sound event list I can't see anything for top/bottom of document but these
events are listed for Kurzweil 1000 which I no longer have installed.

HTH
Chris  

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's
Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: 26 May 2018 10:19

What version of nvda is it. I do notice that the version just prior to xp
support being dropped regularly gave the shut down nvda sound twice as it
exited, and apart from that nothing seems to have been wrong unless you
actually somehow I did have two copies running together which can occur but
nowadays does not, as far as I know.
 I concur, go back to a restore point Most of my  operating days have a
restore point when the anti virus update happens, but system restore needs
to be on for this to occur.
 Also, there is a piece of software called erunt that saves the registry
daily into folders in windows, and can be restored by simply running the
executable for the date needed.
 If its a registry issue this is all you need, but a file issue is better
solved by a restore point.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

I don't remember why I shut it down the first time but rebooted twice
because NVDA was not reading my documents properly, I don't know how to
explain other than to say it would read a line and then nothing even though
I knew there was something there and I tried maximizing the document but it
didn't fix the issue and I also noticed that it kept reading things in
double and when I rebooted heard the sound it made when shutting down twice!

I'll check volume settings since I tried checking sounds in control panel
and found nothing to fix!

Do other sounds work?  I think the sound you are describing is one Windows

sound, which isn't working.  This sounds to me like the kind of problem that

should be solved by running a restore point.  If you don't have one, I'm not

sure how you might solve the problem.  In future, please describe the
problem in detail as you did in this message.  Based on your current
description, most of my previous message appears not to apply.  This isn't
that Windows sounds aren't working in general.  One Windows sound may not be

and I addressed that in this message.

Gene

NVDA is speaking fine now yesterday it kept double talking so shut it down

for a couple hours since a reboot did no good but sounds lost are the ping
it makes when am at the top or bottom of a document as well as the sound it
makes if  try to do something it doesn't want me to do!

Hi

Is there any sounds at all on the computer? or are you getting Window
sounds but not having nvda speaking?

Gene nz

I had to reboot several times yesterday because NVDA was not reading
documents and realized this morning that I lost my sounds where do I find
them to turn them back  on?