Does this page sound weird to anybody else?

Ryan Mann <rmann0581@...>

When I go to the below page with NVDA, to me it sounds like just parts of words are read.  In the middle of some words, symbols such as “dollar” and “percent” are being read.

I’ve tried it with Internet Explorer and Firefox.  The URL is https://saintleouniversityparents.weebly.com/my-parent-access.html.

Laurie Mehta

Yes, it does to me, as well, when I open it in Firefox 59.02 or in Google Chrome.
(This laptop is using Win7 and NVDA 18.1.)
--------------------------------------------

On Sat, 5/26/18, Ryan Mann <rmann0581@gmail.com> wrote:

Subject: [nvda] Does this page sound weird to anybody else?
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Saturday, May 26, 2018, 9:58 AM

When I go to the below page
with NVDA, to me it sounds like just parts of words are
read.  In the middle of some words, symbols such as
“dollar” and “percent” are being
read.I’ve tried
it with Internet Explorer and Firefox.  The URL is https://saintleouniversityparents.weebly.com/my-parent-access.html.

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Yep. Looks like certain letters and other symbols have been replaced with these characters. It’s consistent across the page, whatever it is.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ryan Mann
Sent: May 26, 2018 12:59 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

When I go to the below page with NVDA, to me it sounds like just parts of words are read.  In the middle of some words, symbols such as “dollar” and “percent” are being read.

I’ve tried it with Internet Explorer and Firefox.  The URL is https://saintleouniversityparents.weebly.com/my-parent-access.html.

Gene

I'm not using new versions of NVDA or Firefox on this computer so I'm not sure if I see what you see, but I think I do.  Some of the page reads properly but much of the page consists of some words read properly and a lot of words having missing letters with improper symbols in their place.  I can more or less understand the text because I have punctuation completely off.as in this line:
you %ill %ant to select !rant -ights to Parent!uardians.
Translation:
You will want to select grant rights to parent guardians.

Someone with technical knowledge about web site construction may be able to explain why. 

If you turn punctuation off, I don't know if you will understand what is being said on the site enough to work with it.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2018 11:58 AM

Gene

I looked at the source and, though I don't know enough technically about web page design to know if this is correct, it looks to me as though the text is generated by JAVA script.  Perhaps there is a problem when screen-readers try to read such text.
Gene

Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2018 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Does this page sound weird to anybody else?

I'm not using new versions of NVDA or Firefox on this computer so I'm not sure if I see what you see, but I think I do.  Some of the page reads properly but much of the page consists of some words read properly and a lot of words having missing letters with improper symbols in their place.  I can more or less understand the text because I have punctuation completely off.as in this line:
Translation:

Someone with technical knowledge about web site construction may be able to explain why. 

If you turn punctuation off, I don't know if you will understand what is being said on the site enough to work with it.

Gene

Ryan,

I can see what's going on and will try to explain why this weirdness is occurring, some of which is pure speculation.

This webpage is not a "straight" webpage.  It opens with the title (which is also a link):               What follows and that starts being read is an embedded object, a Scribd reading pane for a 5 page document.  The "problem areas" are graphics that either do not have any useful alternate text or that gets screwed up somehow when uploaded to Scribd.  In addition this seems to be causing the straight text afterward to be corrupted somehow, as NVDA is not reading item #5 correctly, which is immediately after a large graphic, while the earlier text read perfectly well except for the end of step four, which is Add Parent slash Guardian slash Other link, but with all three of the options run together and the actual slash character between each. The content looks for all the world like it's an MS-Word file.

Showing the Scribd full screen changes nothing.  There is a download link, but you have to be a Scribd member or to log in for 24 hour access with Google, Facebook, or your e-mail.

I'm presuming you're a parent of a student at Saint Leo University.   I'd definitely complain to them about this web page and explain to them that it's not functionally accessible.  Were there a hidden link that would allow you to download the content without the Scribd interference it would most likely read correctly in either MS-Word if it is a Word document or, perhaps, Adobe Reader (or the PDF reader of your choice).
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

After all, a democracy based solely on the values of the majority, with no overriding ethical principles and processes, is nothing more than clubhouse democracy, great for those on the inside and a tyranny for those who fail to see eye to eye with the majority.

~ Paul Noeldner, May 16, 2007 

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

Hi.  I've studied the source of the page.  Looks to me like all the elements and text of the page are derived from  Java script widgets which have not been made accessible.  Cheers!

On 5/27/2018 1:40 AM, Gene wrote:
Translation:

Gene

Jonathan COHN

Hello,

Weebly.com is one of those sites that auto-creates web sites with drag and drop actions. I believe in general these quick build web sites have a tendency to not follow WCAG standards. There is going to be a conference in the Washington DC area in October where one of the points being discussed is how to improve the accessibility of this type of site.

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Ryan Mann <rmann0581@...>
Reply-To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 10:44 AM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>